Job Title: Country Financial Manager
Reports to: Country Director
Liaises with: Country Management Team, Country Finance Team, Overseas Finance
Job location: Ouagadougou
Pay Band: Grade 4
Contract: 12 months
Job Purpose: This is a new country programme in response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Burkina Faso you will be responsible for managing all aspects of the finance function of the Concern Worldwide Burkina Faso programme to achieve our objectives in line with Concern Worldwide policies, procedures and standards. You are a member of the Country Management Team and will provide leadership in the development and management of all programmes in accordance with organizational policies and the Country Strategic Plan.
Financial Systems and Controls
- Ensure that country financial management systems and records are adequate in order to identify and protect the assets and interest of the organization.
- Ensure that the systems and procedures in place enhance, as far as possible, the efficiency and effectiveness of the manner in which assets are utilized.
- Maintaining and monitoring an effective and efficient system of internal controls (i.e. ledger, cashbooks, balance sheet reconciliations, cash and bank management etc.) which comply with Concern Worldwide’s financial guidelines and minimise the risk of fraud or misappropriation.
- Ensuring financial systems of the country programme are operating in line with standard Concern procedures and they meet the monitoring and reporting requirements of the Country Management Team, Donors and National Authorities
- Ensure that the country financial operations comply with legal and statutory requirements e.g. audit and financial reporting to all relevant national authorities.
- With the support of the finance team, keep up to date with donor regulations and ensure that all controls are in place to meet donor compliance.
- Support the SD in ensuring there is a complete record of capital assets and that they are adequately safeguarded
- Organising and supporting financial assessments, reviews, monitoring and training of local partner organisations;
- Undertaking regular field visits to assess the financial systems in place & implement improvements wherever needed
- Closely monitor all financial activities, and keep the CD/Senior Management Team advised of all situations that have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance.
- Accepting, advancing and pursuing any new objectives or responsibilities that may be assigned by the Country Director including transfer of existing duties and/or re-assignment to other responsibilities should the organisation so require
- Ensure that the global accounting package (Microsoft Great Plains) is maintained in a proper manner, and utilized in an appropriate and effective manner
- Undertaking financial assessments & evaluation of partners, in line with Concern’s standard financial procedures
- Participating in the review, monitoring and capacity building of partners
Financial Reporting and Donor Reporting
- Assist the CD and budget-holders in preparing budgets and revisions in line with strategic plans and organisational objectives. This involves supporting, facilitating and consolidating the financial budgets.
- Ensure proper recording of income and expenditure to comply with Concern and donor regulations.
- Producing monthly management accounts (budget vs. actual) and working with the programme teams and department managers to understand their expenditure reports (management accounts) and budgets
- Overseeing the accurate preparation of financial reports and ensuring both organisational and donor requirements are met within agreed timeframes
- Overseeing the process of for new project/programme budgets and reviews
- Maintaining a donor financial management system in order to optimize funding and to ensure efficient and accurate reporting to donors, including donor compliance
- Ensuring timely and accurate preparation of financial reports for Concern’s Head Office (Financial Reporting Pack (i.e. FRP)
- Ensure all balance sheet items are reconciled on a timely basis, in accordance with Concern Worldwide policies & procedures
- Finalise year end accounts for the external auditors and provide any ad-hoc finance reports for Concern’s Head Office
- Provide financial analysis where necessary especially on maximizing available funds and advice to CD.
Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Providing leadership and direction for the in-country Finance Team
- Develop a second layer of staff who can fill the gap whenever any position is vacant in the finance team
- Undertake specific training, capacity building and other relevant initiatives to ensure national staff perform their roles and responsibilities with accuracy and professionalism and also create the space for national staff to develop into credible candidates to fill vacant positions in the finance team and to provide strong cover for leave.
- Providing training and support to financial and non-financial staff regarding Concern’s financial procedures and internal controls
- Undertake financial training of budget-holders, to assist them in enforcing financial controls and making decisions based on financial reports.
- Ensuring Concern’s values and policy commitments, including accountability and equality, are reflected in the work of the Finance Team/Department;
- Ensure that Job Descriptions of field finance are up to date
- Ensure that PDRs are completed for all country finance staff at least annually
- Ensure that necessary donor reporting deadlines are met
- Ensure that donor reports tie back to the general ledger from GP and donor original budgets
- Ensure staff positions are mapped to donor funding, ensuring that gaps are identified and included in future donor proposals, with decisions made on eliminating positions if there isn’t sufficient funding for the role in consultation with CMT
- Ensure all relevant donor guidelines, policies, proposals, periodic reports and other communications are readily available, categorized by grant, and documented in soft and hard copy filing
- Review of prepared donor budgets
- Facilitate internal, external and donor audits and associated reviews of field systems
- Ensure that all statutory deductions & taxes in respect of national staff are complied with & to liaise with relevant authorities in this respect.
- Review and established an effective monitoring system for the donations in Kind (DIK) so that all items received from donor as DIK and distribute to beneficiaries are recording properly and a reconciliation procedures need to develop to pass the audit trail.
- Assist Country Director to update the delegation of authority document in line with fundamental changes ( New project/ closed project/ staff structure/emergency response/ etc.)
- Implement the finance systems related feedback provided by Regional Accountant or internal auditors.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Country’s Strategic Plan
- Contribute to the development of the country’s strategic direction and to the overall leadership of the country programme
- Any other finance-related
Country Specific Tasks
- Ensure compliance with all other in-country legal and regulatory requirements relating to finance
Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies
- Ensure adherence to the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies
- Ensure finance staff understanding and adhere to the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies
- Ensure the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) are understood by finance staff
- Ensure the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever acquired in the course of duty, relating to the practices and business of Concern Worldwide, to any other person or Organization without authority, except in normal execution of the above duties
- Ensure strict guardianship and security of financial data and documents at all times, including secure storage, accurate & complete filing and limiting access to the finance office to authorised personnel only
Skills and Experience Required:
- Accountancy degree/masters
- 3-5 years-experience in a similar position ideally including previous Concern experience
- Experience in developing staff technical and management capacities
- Experience managing donor grants
- Fluent in English and French
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, protection and participation including Concern’ s P4
- Familiarity with broader systems development including procurement, logistics, HR and IT.
- Experience of working/living in insecure and sensitive environments
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Accountancy Qualification (e.g. CPA, ACA, ACCA)
- Experience of working in Africa (or elsewhere under similar conditions) would be an advantage.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload, using initiative when appropriate.
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with a multinational country team,
politically and culturally sensitive.
- Ability to cope with stress; work under pressure often to strict deadlines.
- Flexibility, adaptability, sense of humour, and patience.
- Ability to motivate and develop skills of others.
- Facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.