Reporting directly to the country director, and with technical reporting line to the Regional IT officer; the Country IT officer will be responsible for the management of all the IT functions of the JRS Uganda, computers and software maintenance and management.
Key Responsibilities: Information Technology
- In collaboration with the International Office (IO), define the standards for the computers and hardware to be procured in the country.
- Be part of any bidding committee and define the technical specifics of any IT related hardware.
- Set up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices (routers, printers etc.).
- Check computer hardware (HDD, keyboards etc.) to ensure functionality.
- Install and configure appropriate software and functions according to specifications.
- Develop and maintain local area networks in ways that optimize performance.
- Perform troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve problems (repair or replace parts, debugging etc.).
- Maintain Hardware and Software inventory and recommend effective and newer versions.
- Perform backups, defragmentation, and cleaning of IT equipment and computers regularly.
- Manage the Internet systems maintenance and installation in all Field Offices.
- Install and maintain main server and network systems; perform basic network administration and security functions ensuring network and computer systems privacy, integrity, and security.
- Configure Microsoft 365 accounts for all users, where necessary and support on email and messaging services.
- Ensure that JRS internet is always running in all offices.
- Configure for automatic Backups for all Laptops & Computers to the Server at designated times.
- Performs any other IT related tasks assigned by the supervisor to accomplish the overall organizational goals.
- Responsible for Azure Active directory for the country
- Management of the Unifi platform for internet troubleshooting, user support and service provider evaluation
- Support the ICT capacity building and training activities for JRS Staff, in close cooperation with the HR department, by analyzing areas for training needs and recommending training methodologies.
- Support the implementation of the JRS ICT policies.
- Provide orientation and guidance to users on how to operate new software and computer equipment.
- Conduct Trainings for the staff (remote and physical) on the Microsoft 365 and other JRS tools.
- Support new staff through induction sessions on IT related services.
- Keep the Country staff updates with latest IT security measures and best practices.
Policies and Guidelines
- Work in collaboration with the IO IT department to apply the IT guidelines and policies.
- Share the country challenges with IO IT department and other working groups to further develop the strategies and answer the needs.
- Plan, design and execute the internet bandwidth requirements in accordance with international guidelines, number of users and business applications running.
- Implement the global IT Security guidelines to ensure the systems, cloud services and users’ data are protected from threats.
Education Learning Platforms
- Support the programme teams on innovative integration of Technology Components (ICT for Education) in the existing/new Programmes to better service the beneficiaries.
- Work with the International IT office to Co-Manage the Education platform.
- Participate in the understanding, simulation, and uptake of the Education Platform for learning purposes and Support Project staff and Students in the best use of the platform.
- Lead and support different online learning platform
- Work with International Office and Regional IT Officer on the installation of ISP Equipment. Work with Field Offices for installation of relevant equipment and set up/configuration of the same.
- Work with International Office and Regional IT Officer to review, revise and contextualize the ICT Policy for Uganda.
- Work with the logistic, finance to identify quality sources of ICT Equipment in the Country
- Work with the PDs to support them on the design, and roll out of the Education Platforms
- Work with JRS Kampala Livelihoods Department in teaching Basic Computer Literacy and Computer Networking to students
- Support the programme teams on innovative integration of Technology Components (ICT for Education) in the existing/new Programmes to better service the beneficiaries
- Work with the International IT office and Regional IT Officer to Co-Manage the Education platform
- Participate in the understanding, simulation, and uptake of the Education Platform for learning purposes and support Project staff and Students in the best use of the platform.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc degree in Computer Sciences/Information Technology/Information Systems.
- Certified in networks (CCNA or equivalent).
- Certified in Microsoft (MCSE/MCSA or equivalent). Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suit (EMS) is a plus.
- Proven experience as IT Technician or relevant position preferably in an INGO/humanitarian setting.
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
- In depth understanding of computer systems and networks.
- Good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles.
- Strong analytical, strategic, and planning skills.
- Very high competence in Microsoft 365 installation, troubleshooting, management, and support
- High competence in unifi platform
- Very good understand of firewall and internet traffic management
- Minimum 4 years’ experience setting up and running information technology systems in Commercial and Relief operations preferably INGO in remote areas and at capital.
- Technical Knowledge and experience of ICT Systems.
- Experience in Information Technology.
- Experience in Cloud Computing and Computer networked systems.
- Experience in Network Security and data safety and data privacy.
- Experience in ICT Equipment diagnostics and troubleshooting/repair.
- Knowledge of humanitarian operations.
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge in Microsoft windows server and client operating systems.
- Knowledge in software defined (SD) networking such as Ubiquiti devices.
- Knowledge in Azure identity management and Microsoft Active Directory.
- Hands on experience on Microsoft Office 365 services.
- Proven experience to design and manage IT projects.
- Knowledge in conducting digital literacy and assessing its result.
- Experience/ability to create policies and ICT strategies
- Solid experience in ICT hardware and software acquisition and management.
- Professional communications and writing skills.
- Experience in doing internal ICT audits.
- Mastery of techniques such as communication, energy, electricity and computer technology.
The position requires regular travel to JRS locations.
How to apply
- Written application explaining why you are interested in the above position and how you meet the qualities and qualification criteria.
- Attach a CV with maximum 2 pages. The CV should contain information about your qualifications, relevant trainings, work experience, names and contact details of three (3) professional referees.
- You must send your CV and application as a single pdf file
- Applications should be sent online to Jesuit Refugee Service Uganda at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: JRS has a Child Safeguarding (CS) Policy in place and expects all staff to read, sign and adhere to it.
Deadline: January 3rd, 2023
No late applications will be considered – Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, JRS Is an equal opportunity employer with a Non discrimination policy in place.