Title: Country Representative
Location: Bamako, Mali
Type of contract: Delegate, Until March 31st, 2023
Salary band: $73,735 – $79,336
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Country Representative to join our International Operations team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
We are looking for a Country Representative, a diplomatic individual who will work with the Head of Region (Africa) to oversee and ensure the efficient and effective management of Canadian Red cross projects. You will ensure quality and adherence to established guidelines, policies, and strategies of the relevant local authorities, as well as in accordance with the Canadian Red cross principles, guidelines and evidence-based best practices and based on the Mali Red Cross, Movement.
As a Country Representative you will:
- Ensure consistency in the CRC program implementation in Mali and work in close collaboration with the national society
- Ensure effective development and implementation of CRC program activities according to approved plans, budgets, regulations, and policies
- Identify opportunities for new areas of work according to CRC and Mali Red Cross priorities and identify new funding sources and negotiates funding opportunities.
- Provide strong leadership, expertise, and innovation in human resource planning in the management of the subordinates.
- Represent CRC and maintains strong relationships with the Mali Red Cross, other Red Cross National Societies, the IFRC, the ICRC, national authorities, international and national organizations, donor Governments, as well as national and international media.
- Prepare and monitor annual budget in coordination with program colleagues at National Office.
- Build collaborative and effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to, Mali Red Cross, Movement partners, and other relevant organizations.
- Be accountable for the safety and security of all CRC personnel (including visitors) in country which includes operational, movements, communications and decision-making informed by the evolving security situation.
What we are looking for:
- Post graduate level education in a related discipline (international development, management, social sciences, or public health) is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement experience is required along with a demonstrated commitment to the principles of the RCRC Movement.
- A minimum of 10 years experience working in conflict and post conflict programming preferred (preference given to complex environments).
- Experience in the management of Government of Canada funded projects, including knowledge of Results-Based Management (RBM) and Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP)
- Demonstrated experience in senior level representation, relationship building and management, and strong diplomacy and negotiation skills.
- Proven experience in effective country-level planning and coordination with a range of different stakeholders.
- Experience in and knowledge of West Africa geographical area a strong asset
- Advanced level of French proficiency – both spoken and written – is required. Please note this role will be performed in a French-speaking environment.
This is a field-based position. Working in Mali can be very demanding, both physically and psychologically. Difficult working conditions are expected, including the following:
- Long hours of work in a demanding context with limited resources
- The ability to work in a high risk, fluid and evolving situation may be required, as is the ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
- Basic living conditions that may include intermittent electricity, Internet and other basic services
- Issues of access and mobility due to the dynamic nature of an emergency situation and proximity to disaster-affected area
- CRC supports a safe working environment and comfortable accommodation however, as in all contexts, delegates must be aware and responsible for their personal safety and that of employees under their supervision.
- In some contexts, legal frameworks and institutions to enforce the rule of law are largely undeveloped.
- In some remote areas access to healthcare could be limited or non-existent
- All CRC delegates must be cleared by the Travel Health Team with full medical and vaccination clearance.
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.
- Job City Bamako