County Technical Coordinator – Nutrition
The County Technical Coordinator-Nutrition under the direction of the Capacity Strengthening Advisor and Nutrition-Sensitive Advisor will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of multisectoral nutrition (MSN) activities of USAID Advancing Nutrition at the County level. This position will play a critical role in providing leadership and technical support to the County Departments of Health, Agriculture, Education and social protection in the implementation of the joint action plan. The position holder will support in the capacity strengthening elements of the program and will be involved in the development of program advocacy documents and in the convening of Multisector nutrition (MSN) forums. This position will have extensive travel between the sub county and the wards.
Execution of technical activities with county stakeholders under the direction of technical advisors. excellent relationships with USAID, USAID implementing partners, government officials (county/national) and civil society organizations (CSOs). This position is expected to work closely and coordinate with other project staff and government counterparts.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Provide counties with the operational leadership in the implementation of county joint action plans for Multisector nutrition(MSN)
- Under the direction of the advisors strengthen joint MSN coordination forums in the county including establishing them where they do not exist
- Work hand-in-hand with the Capacity Strengthening Advisor and the Nutrition-Sensitive Advisor in ensuring quality nutrition specific program implementation in line with the County Nutrition Action Plan (CNAP), County Agri-nutrition plans and the County Annual Operations Work Plans (AWP) for the nutrition-sensitive and -specific departments.
- Under the direction of the advisors provide training and mentorship to County Government MSN Departments in planning, nutrition advocacy and resource mobilization
- In collaboration with the Capacity Strengthening Advisor and Nutrition-Sensitive Advisor, support the development of advocacy materials targeting identified nutrition champions and other nutrition sensitive ministries and departments in line with the CNAP.
- Ensure that all program activities are implemented in compliance with the requirements of USAID Kenya/HQ and USAID Advancing Nutrition rules and regulations.
- Ensure stakeholder engagement and representation at county and sub county level
- Oversee the integration of nutrition-specific strategies and approaches with relevant nutrition-sensitive departments
- Support the Technical Advisors with implementation and tracking of the capacity strengthening plan for government, MSN partners, and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) etc. in line with the capacity assessment findings
- Support the Technical Advisors in the results reporting to monitor the project’s performance, including contributing to the quarterly, annual and other ad hoc reporting for USAID and USAID Advancing Nutrition Home Office.
- Support the Technical Advisors in the adaptation, contextualization and implementation of the following MSN tools in the county (financial and budget tracking tool/Advocacy Communication and social mobilisation Strategy (ACSM) and others as necessary)
- Provide other technical support as requested
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Support the Technical Advisors with adaptation and roll out of the county MSN score card
- Participate in milestone meetings for monitoring of the progress of the programme such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews, and annual reviews.
- In collaboration with the program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator, support in monitoring and evaluation of project activities including preparation of monitoring reports, documents, and lessons learned
- Collaborate with relevant sector M&E officers and focal persons on information, data management and reporting through the relevant MSN information system.
- Take leadership in the planning and implementation of inter and intra-county learning events.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members, and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Child’s Protection and Safeguarding:
- Ensure Save the Children Child’s Protection and Safeguarding Children policies are understood, implemented and monitored and that it is integrated into all aspects of the team’s work.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor degree in Nutrition or other relevant discipline
- At least 3-5 years’ relevant nutrition project work experience in an international NGO or similar organization
- Familiarity and understanding of the decentralised services in target MSN departments
- Intense understanding of the MSN departments (agriculture/health/education etc.)
- Effective working relationships with stakeholders from government agencies, international organisations, donors, academics and opinion-leaders.
- Experience with the following approaches; systems strengthening, training and capacity building
- Experience working with Civil Society Organizations and the private sector
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of organizations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good knowledge and experience of USAID-funded projects, preferred.
- Good presentation and persuasion skills
- Familiarity with Kisumu county and ability to speak local language, highly preferred
- Commitment to SCI values
Method of Application
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Programme Manager – Inclusive Eye Health at Christian Blind Mission (CBM)
- Regional MEAL Officer at Islamic Relief
- Project Administration Manager at the Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA)
- Principal Documentary Credit Officer at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
- Enumerator at Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Nigeria – Edo & Delta