MSF is an international, independent medical humanitarian organisation. We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. We are a non-profit, self-governed, member-based organisation. MSF was founded in 1971 in Paris by a group of journalists and doctors. Today, we are a worldwide movement of more than 63,000 people.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. The ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (OCA) is a partnership that is composed of the partners MSF-Canada, MSF-Germany, MSF-SARA, MSF-Sweden, MSF-Holland and MSF-United Kingdom. MSF-OCA has a team of more than 11,000 staff working in 115 emergency projects in about 31 countries.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 400 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations. Around 50 staff focus on recruitment, communication and fundraising and 350 staff are focused on supporting MSF-OCA operations.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such, MSF is by choice (Chantilly) an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and commitment and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
At Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen , we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We encourage applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
Position within the organisation
The data and analytics (D&A) Lead will be the lead responsible for data management and analytics activities, advice and support across the organisation and report directly to Head of the Directors Office. The D&A Lead role is critical in the strategy of MSF, aiming to grow our data maturity and align on an overall data strategy and operating model. The D&A Lead will work closely with the Reporting & Analytics team, the head of IT and the data management roles in the departments, notably the Public Health Department, HR and Logistics.
Objectives of the position
As the D&A Lead, you will demonstrate a Leadership style that will drive the creation and execution of our data and analytics strategy. By frequent interaction and communication with cross-functional partners, a joint vision and roadmap will be created, and together with the Reporting & Analytics team, you gather actionable and comprehensive insights into key functions across the organisation.
To succeed as D&A Lead at MSF, you need to be able to unite teams across MSF, create a solid, joint vision and roadmap, and support the organisation in maximizing the value retrieved from data. You build a strong network of data professionals within and outside of MSF who participate and provide input for innovative and cross-team gatherings on data & analytics solutions.
Your time will be split between:
Management and strategy (75%):
- Lead D&A initiatives across OCA and draft D&A vision and strategy for all OCA (which includes all departments, R&A, partner sections and the field)
- Data management, quality and governance around D&A
- Design and propose data analytics and data science capability with OCA
- Work with departments to review relevant existing data sets and sources, and to recommend and support them with improvements to ensure better D&A capacity
- Facilitate a data & analytics architecture
- Be an advocate across OCA and in the wider MSF movement for more accurate and efficient data and information to enable more effective decision-making, reporting and forecasting
- Transform organisational data culture to break down silos
- Increase OCA data maturity, which includes assisting in defining clear KPIs across the organisation
- Working alongside and in close cooperation with the R&A team to deliver D&A products,
- Solution design of D&A products
- Master’s Degree in Business Information, Information Technology or related field
- At least 2 years’ experience in similar managerial position on data on data & analytics in an international, federated environment
- Proven experience in defining, communication and executing on a D&A strategy
- At least 5 years’ experience delivering D&A projects in large or international organizations
- Proficiency in query/reporting tools; SQL, Advanced Excel, Power BI (or similar visualization tool), DAX, R/Python or other analytical tools
- Experience with Microsoft Azure, DevOps and Git are considered a plus
- Proven and successful experience in the execution of data analytics initiatives, leading to the development of useful insights and the improvement of a business’s performance and driving top-line growth
- Familiarity with data modelling and data warehousing principles
- Ability to work effectively with data engineering colleagues, and non-data specialist colleagues to meet the data needs of the organisation
- Ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner with product and Management teams to influence the overall data strategy
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written, comfortable presenting to senior management
- “Getting things done” mentality, persistent, persuasive and convincing
- Demonstrated ability to deliver in an international and multi-cultural environment
- Previous experience of working in an NGO humanitarian organisation is an advantage
- Fluent in English, written and speaking
A challenging and exciting position in an international environment
Opportunity to travel and experience the dynamics of a globally operating, leading humanitarian healthcare organisation
A Dutch employment contract based on 40 hours per week. The contract is for one year with renewal option.
Other benefits include 30 holidays and a premium free pension.
If you are located outside of the Netherlands, the local contract and salary grid apply.
Remote working is possible, but we can only contract in another country where we have an MSF office.
How to apply
If you recognise yourself in this profile, we welcome you to apply directly via our website and upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae (in English) as one combined document.
The closing date for applications is 13 September 2021 at 11:59 pm CEST.
Selection will be by means of two interviewing rounds. The first round will take place in the week of 13 September 2021, the second on the week of 19 September 2021.
Please note that only candidates that fully meet the requirements of the position will be taken into consideration.
For more information about the recruitment procedure, please contact please contact Ali Hamdan (Recruiter) at email@example.com
For more information about the position, please contact Stephane Chambet-Weil (Head of PMO) at stephane.Chambet-Weil@amsterdam.msf.org