About the Opportunity
TheBRAC Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative (UPGI) seeks to hire an Administrative Officer for a growing team in Rwanda and this position will provide technical, financial and administrative support to the Rwanda team.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Administrative Officer will lead all aspects of operations and administration processes to deliver the UPGI scale-up strategy. This position will be based in Kigali, Rwanda and the role would require close work with staff in Africa and Asia.
This role supports the Program Director with day to day program logistics, procurement, travel, and administrative operations.
This is a support position, the Administrative Officer, will have the primary responsibility of assisting with all UPGI operations and admin task and functions. The position will as part of the People and Operations team.
The areas of responsibility for this role include:
- Support program teams from the Province to the National Graduation Secretariat
- Assist in the development of the Go-No-Go for new investments in Rwanda
- Ensure program compliance with the National Strategy for Sustainable Graduation
- Assist supervisor in procurement activities, in collaboration with Operations and Program teams
- Assist with identification of suitable vendors, collection of price quotes, documentation of procurement process and management of electronic and paper procurement files
- Responsible to circulate RFQ’s, prepare bid analysis and issue purchase orders
- Coordinate all logistical arrangements for project-related events, workshops, seminars and other training activities
- Responsible to managing & preparing service level agreements for the smooth running of project activities
- Help with management and administration of office resources including office space, software, subscriptions, computers, hardware, and other related office systems and equipment.
- Support the quarterly reporting to the Government of Rwanda
- Serve as Risk Coordinator for UPGI
- Update risk register for UPGI programs and offices
- Manage travel arrangements including staff air tickets, transport and boarding & lodging for business purposes
- Support the organization of team events (meetings, workshops, etc.).
- Maintains a central filing system for required documents and forms.
- Support the development and systematic management of internal policies and their implementation across the company’s operations
- Organize and process invoices, service orders, and other expense claims to ensure payments and expenditure reporting are up to date.
- Help conduct compliance checks, donor due diligence, and other regulatory responsibilities.
- Fulfill other administrative functions as required
- Assist with long term and short-term recruitment needs for UPGI
- Ensure all staff files are maintained
- Make sure all trackers and databases are up-to-date and readily available for management information
- Assist with the identification, selection, recruitment, training and orientation of new staff members
We are looking for an Administrative Officer with proven leadership skills, the ability to see the big picture coupled with a hands-on approach to getting things done, and a passion for supporting a global workforce to thrive in challenging environments.
You take pride in the quality of service you provide; you are both strategic and responsive; you are a powerful communicator and manage wide-ranging responsibilities in a fast-moving environment. You are continually evaluating progress and looking to do things more effectively. You are a team player, building relationships at all levels with people from various professional and cultural backgrounds. You demonstrate sound judgment, integrity, and sensitivity.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Strong communications skills
- Excellent working knowledge of Google Workspace and Microsoft suite packages
- Good understanding of procurement and logistics policies
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Project management, marketing, development studies or any other relevant qualifications
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar role (e.g., project administrator, Finance Officer, human resources Officer, Logistics Officer, Personal Assistant, Executive Assistant, or similar roles); three years of experience preferred.
- Ability to make decisions under uncertainty and to assess potential institutional risks.
- Being proactive, assertive and action-oriented; driven to work without supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Working experience in rapidly growing organizations will be an added advantage.
- Previous knowledge or strong interest in global development.
About the Organization
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organization, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realize their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programs to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organization of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity.
In partnership with the Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC), BRAC Ultra-Poor Graduation Initiative (UPGI) is supporting the establishment of the graduation secretariat, the office that will be responsible for the coordination of the implementation of the National Strategy for Sustainable Graduation (NSSG). The graduation Analyst role will be embedded in MINALOC with reporting lines to the Graduation Advisor within and to the BRAC UPGI Program Director.
About the National Strategy for Sustainable Graduation
Rwanda aims to achieve high quality standards of living for all, building on the trajectory laid out under vision 2020 period. Significant poverty reduction levels were registered, and between 2001 to 2016/17, poverty levels dropped from 58.9% to 38.2% in 2016/17, with more than 1 million people lifted out of poverty.
A clear conceptual framework for promoting graduation is articulated within Vision 2050 aspirations of high standards of living and without leaving any one behind, National Strategy for transformation (NST1) as well as the National Social Protection policy and its Strategy.
Overall, Rwanda aims to build strong progress made in reducing poverty with the aim of achieving a rate of below 1% for extreme poverty by 2024 and eliminating poverty by 2030 in order to enhance the living standards of all Rwandans. In order to achieve these ambitious targets, there is a need to ensure that policies and programmes are put in place to effectively promote sustainable graduation out of poverty.
The NST1 Priority Area 1, focuses on “Graduation from Poverty and Extreme Poverty and Promoting Resilience” and this is further elaborated and detailed in the ‘National Social Protection Strategy (2017-2024)’ where it is stated:
- Outcome 6: Extremely poor households have increased access to livelihood support services for economic empowerment.
- Outcome 7: Strengthened values of self-reliance, respect for rights and community-based support for the vulnerable.
The purpose of this strategy, therefore, is to support operationalization of the strategic approach to graduation that is articulated within NST1 and the Social Protection Policy (June, 2020) as well as the National Social Protection Strategy (2017-24)
How to apply
How to Apply
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with BRAC UPGI in Rwanda If you feel you are the right match for the position mentioned above, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
Please submit your resume, including all job assignments in detail, and cover letter to this following link:
All the internal candidates submit your resume, including all job assignments in detail, and cover letter to email@example.com
Only complete applications will be accepted, and short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: June 3, 2023
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are a part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Rapporteur for the THE AFRICAN FEMINIST MACROECONOMIC ACADEMY (AFMA) at The African Women’s Development and Communications Network
- Business Development Manager – Climate Justice, East and Southern Africa at Hivos
- Communications intern – Hivos Southern Africa at Hivos
- Logistics Manager at Medair
- ENUMERATORS (32) at Helen Keller International