We are currently looking for a Data Officer to support our REACH team in Somalia.
Position: Data Officer
Contract duration:6 months
Location: SOMALIA (MOGADISHU)
Starting Date: ASAP
Somalia has been experiencing a multi-layered, complex, and protracted crisis over the past three decades, in particular, due to periodic disasters and climate-driven shocks, such as droughts and flooding. This has led to much internal displacement resulting in large IDP populations in urban areas. IMPACT began working in Somalia in 2012 in order to fill information gaps and provide timely data on the humanitarian needs of displaced and vulnerable populations. The compound and complex nature of the crisis continues to influence displacement patterns and constrain the availability of resources, while the presence of armed groups severely impedes the level of access and support provided by humanitarian actors.
In 2016 REACH was deployed in Kenya and has since then been providing information on the needs and intentions of refugees residing in the Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps. Beyond the multi-sectoral focused work, IMPACT has become the go-to partner of the Kenya and Somali Cash Consortia, covering the post-distribution monitoring in a variety of contexts and multi-purpose cash programs
Currently, the Horn of Africa is experiencing the third drought episode in a decade, following three consecutive failed rainy seasons. The drought is compounding existing food insecurity among both pastoral and farming populations, and needs are spiking across the region – between 12 and 14 million people are currently estimated to be facing high levels of food insecurity and water shortages. Historically rare climate variability, climate change, vulnerability, and exposure are creating an exceptional and extremely concerning level of risk for food security and livelihoods, which could drive rising levels of acute malnutrition and mortality through mid-to-late 2022.
Under the line management of the Senior Data Officer in Somalia, Data Officer is responsible for the production of IMPACT’s analysis products in Somalia, including the preparation of research design, support in designing sampling methods, data analysis plans, data collection tools, data cleaning scripts and processes, analysis scripts, analysis outputs and (as relevant) production of web maps and information management systems. The Data officer will support in the dissemination and evaluation stages of the research cycle. Throughout each research cycle, the Data Officer, in close liaison with the assessment and field teams, engages with partners to promote their participation in data processing, analysis or relevant topics as designated by the line manager, to maximize the uptake and use of IMPACT research. When relevant, or managing a project, he/she also ensures an efficient and transparent use of resources required for project implementation. This can include the direct supervision of data and assessment teams during data collection, analysis or output production.
In his/her mission, the data Officer will be hosted by IMPACT’s global partner ACTED and will fall under the direct responsibility and management of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates for all Administrative, Security, and relevant Logistics and Finance issues. S/he will therefore fully abide to ACTED’s Security, Administration, and relevant HR, Logistics and Finance rules and regulations.
The Data Officer responsibilities include the following:
- Contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted data management and analysis solutions for IMPACT research in Somalia, in line with IMPACT’s relevant research and data guidelines.
- Support (as designated by line manager) sampling design, creation and management of data collection tools (ODK or KoBo), training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis set up (specifically conducted in the R environment).
- Contribute to draft research ToRs with a specific focus on sampling, data collection tools, the data analysis plan, as well as data management plan;
- Support the development of qualitative and quantitative data collection tools, ensuring requirements of research cycle/assessment are met;
- In coordination with relevant assessment and GIS officer(s), support construction of quantitative sample;
- Keep track of progress and delays of all assigned tasks throughout the research cycle. Ensure that delays or identified problems are reported by writing and orally in a timely manner.
- When relevant, support the identification and training of enumerators for primary data collection;
- When relevant, support oversight of data collection, in line with agreed TORs (including their Annexes), including data cleaning processes, checks and data cleaning scripts;
- In coordination with relevant assessment officer(s), document all changes in data collection that lead to a modification in the agreed TORs, ensuring that the IMPACT CC/CR and IMPACT HQ are informed and agree on the modifications.
DATA MANAGEMENT, CLEANING AND ANALYSIS
- Monitor accuracy of data collected in line with IMPACT’s Data Cleaning Minimum Standards Checklist;
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies;
Manage, update and deploy monthly questionnaire;
- Maintain, update and expand R-based systems of data management and analysis for data dissemination and reporting;
- Serve as focal point for statistical analysis and quantitative reporting on assessments.
DRAFTING OF PRODUCTS
- Ensure that all IMPACT analysis products the requirements of IMPACT and concerned partners;
- In support of the Research Manager or CC/CR, as requested, provide regular communication with IMPACT HQ on progress and deadlines for analysis outputs
- Ensure the drafting of timely and accurate data and analysis products (such as factsheets, graphics, webmaps, dashboards), which comply with IMPACT’s guidelines;
- Ensure findings are accurately reported given the data collection and analysis methodology planned in TORs.
- Ensure that all analysis outputs are validated by IMPACT HQ before external release;
- When relevant, in close coordination with IMPACT HQ, support the regular maintenance and update of online products;
- Upon the request of the line manager, support in consulting with partners at all stages of research cycle: assessment preparation; data collection; data analysis; review of research products; product dissemination; and lessons learnt;
- After validation by the line manager, represent IMPACT in relevant meetings/ working groups;
- Follow up on issues identified by partners or during meetings / working groups;
- Promote an active use of datasets and research findings by partners and the broader humanitarian community for their decision making;
- After validation by line manager, present research findings to relevant third parties in order to enhance their use and impact;
- Ensure that all partner engagement and all external relations are clearly documented and communicated with the line manager and relevant colleagues;
- More generally, contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of IMPACT’s mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actors.
KNOWLEDGE SHARING AND LEARNING PROCESSES
Provide content and contributes to lessons learned exercises
PROJECT CYCLE MANAGEMENT
Upon request of the line management:
- For relevant projects, ensure compliance to project cycle management requirements and guidelines at all phases;
- Before project start, support the organization of a kick off meeting and the availability of key project management documentations to plan the efficient use of assets, financial and human resources;
- In close coordination with line management, finance and grants colleagues, monitor and regularly update the use of assets, financial and human resources, in full compliance with IMPACT’s guidelines; this includes maintaining an oversight of budget availability and expenditure for assessment activities;
- Ensure that project deliverables and requirements are tracked, met and complied to;
- Ensure that any issue in relation to project implementation is reported to the line manager, finance and grants colleagues, and HQ;
- Ensure that a project completion meeting is held and documented for all relevant projects;
- Support the line manager, finance and grants colleagues in drafting of relevant project narrative and financial reports;
- Other tasks as requested by supervisors.
- Actively participate in regular team meetings;
- Ensure regular coordination and exchange with relevant colleagues;
- Ensure regular communication with HQ Research Design and Data unit.
- Engage in the development and implementation of IMPACT’s strategy in (country).
DATA CONFIDENTIALITY AND PROTECTION
The Data Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes, ensuring full compliance with IMPACT’s data protection policy and SOPs. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT.
- Academic Excellent academic qualifications, preferably including a Master degree in relevant discipline;
- Research skills Demonstrable experience of data science. Excellent data analysis skills.
- Software skills Advanced knowledge of R, STATA, Python or equivalent statistical software. Proven knowledge of Microsoft office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of ArcGIS an advantage.
- Years of work experience At least 1 years of relevant working experience. Experience in humanitarian settings highly desirable;
- Management skills Team management experience and skills highly desirable;
- Communication/reporting skills Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
- Multi-tasking skills Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles;
- Level of independence Proven ability to work independently;
- Cross-cultural work environment Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Experience in geographical region Past experience in the HoA region is desirable;
- Language skills Fluency in English required, competency in Somali an asset;
- Security environment Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment
How to apply
Please apply directly on IMPACT’ website using the following link: Data Officer | Impact (impact-initiatives.org)
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Grants and Partnerships Manager at Concern Worldwide
- Treasury Assistant at Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International
- Country Logistics and Supply Coordinator at INTERSOS
- Associé au Budget et Programmation G6 at World Food Programme
- Consultant – Climate Security and Peacebuilding Officer at International Organization for Migration