deCOALonize Campaign – is a campaign pushing for a green and sustainable energy future for Kenya, which the Natural Justice Kenya Office hosts.
The deCOALonize Campaign aims to provide local communities, policymakers, academics, and civil society with information on coal alternatives and embrace clean energy in Kenya. The Campaign was created by a coalition of environmental and social justice advocates concerned about the increasing interest in Kenya in coal power production and exploration.
What are we looking for?
deCOALonize Campaign is looking for a full-time Campaign Coordinator who can help establish our brand identity to increase awareness of our community projects, advocacy, communications, and legal work with communities affected by coal and other fossil fuel projects.
The successful candidate will spend their time meeting with the chairpersons of the four working groups to ensure the Campaign remains vibrant and on course to achieve the recently launched strategic plan. Overall, s/he will be responsible for the successful running of the movement within and without.
The Coordinator will report to the Natural Justice East Africa Hub Director and the deCOALonize Board. The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi, with frequent local and international travel where applicable.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
The main activities of the deCOALonize Coordinator are to:
o Be the face of deCOALonize to the press, at conferences, and in partnerships
o Be the point-person for all internal communication
o Be a non-voting member of the Board
o Ensure that Strategic Groups are meeting their commitments as per deliverables on time
o Manage internal administration
o Manage and supervise any deCOALonize staff and/or consultants
o Sign off on external communications as per message, voice, etc.
o Track external activities, including news articles, policies, and government and corporate statements related to coal and coal in Kenya and alternatives to coal.
o Coordinate fundraising efforts for deCOALonize to ensure needs are met
o Manage central data collection
o Manage the overall deCOALonize budget in conjunction with Host Organization (Natural Justice)
o Report to the Host Organization
o Follow all rules of the Host Organization
Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in communications, law, journalism, public relations, environmental studies, or any related fields.
· At least two years of similar work experience is required. The candidate should be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors.
· The candidate will be expected to be a driven and reliable self-starter, prioritize, pay attention to detail, and show initiative at work.
· The candidate must be proficient in English and Kiswahili.
· The candidate should have a high level of integrity, accountability, and punctuality.
· The candidate should be a team player.
· Experience in advocating for human rights, social and/or environmental justice is desirable.
How to apply
Deadline: September 2021
Please email your application to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter that indicates why you feel you are the best candidate for this position.
- A detailed CV with three references, and
- up to three samples of your past work. This may include newspaper op-eds, blogs, journals, strategy papers you’ve developed etc.
Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required skills, experience, traits, and attributes listed above.
Applications are open until the position is filled. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Best of luck!