The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
GAIN’s projects aim to address supply and demand constraints, as well as to support an enabling environment, to improve consumption of nutritious and safe food among urban and rural dwellers in counties affected by malnutrition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Demand Creation Advisor
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Type: Fixed term
Classification: D5 – Manager
Direct reports: 1 – 5
Travel required: Up to 30%
Duration: 60 Months
- We seek a highly dynamic individual who can lead on the demand creation/marketing component of GAIN Nigeria’s work.
- The Demand Creation Specialist is a key member of the technical team that provides essential support to GAIN Nigeria projects.
- The post holder is responsible for ensuring the demand creation components of the projects are technically sound and aligned for timely delivery.
- They will have the opportunity to co-design and provide technical support to the implementation of innovative marketing strategies to improve desirability, purchasing, and consumption of nutritious and safe food including biofortified staples, green leafy vegetables, dairy and poultry products among others.
- The role holder will also provide technical management support to a number of demand creation project staff.
- The postholder will work in a cross-functional team ensuring coordination and cohesion among programmatic strategies across supply, demand, and enabling environment. The cross functional team consists of programme staff with expertise in consumer and brand marketing, agribusiness, retail marketing, policy, and community engagement, based in Nigeria and globally.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Co-lead with project managers, the development of workplans for the demand creation components of projects, that efficiently distribute tasks and resources adequately across the fiscal year. Address issues that may cause delays in a timeline manner.
- Provide technical support and oversight to the budgeting and forecasting for the demand creation/marketing components of projects.
- Oversee the procurement process for the demand creation/marketing component including the request for proposal, proposal evaluation, contracting, and payment processing.
- Provide technical oversight of the preparation of project summaries and any technical materials for external engagement.
- Represent GAIN in meetings with external stakeholders including government, NGOs, private sector.
Strategic Leadership in Design and Implementation of Demand Creation:
- Design and Implementation primarily relates to operationalizing the demand creation strategy and the effective use of human and financial resources.
- Provide technical oversight to the design of the demand creation/marketing strategy for the GAIN Nigeria projects.
- Lead the implementation of the demand creation/marketing strategy for the GAIN Nigeria projects.
- In close collaboration with the senior project managers, revise plans / strategies in view of emerging data. Lead the piloting of new strategies or plans through internal approvals.
- Oversee the development of Agency briefs and ensure good interpretation of the brief by the agency. Develop agency briefs if necessary.
- Manage agencies to implement and deliver various parts of the workplan, including supervision of agency’s work to ensure quality of deliverables, workflow for review of deliverables by relevant GAIN staff.
- Develop and execute the food business engagement strategy,
- Develop the last mile distribution strategy and retailer engagement, including suppliers, brokers, and promotion.
- Develop the community engagement strategy.
- Support Implementation Monitoring, including media, retail sales, and community activity monitoring.
Internal Stakeholder Management:
- Provide technical advice to project managers and support staff focused on value chain, retail engagement, consumer, and community engagement, to support the effective activity and financial management as well as internal reporting of the project.
- Supervise the consumer engagement activities at retail and community settings, including engagement with civil society partners.
- Supervise the retailer engagement activities, including supplier linkages, market management, retail promotion activities.
Key Organisational Relationships
- Reports to the Deputy Country Director/Head of Programmes, Nigeria.
- Works closely with all project teams in the Nigeria programme and specifically provides technical support for demand creation/marketing.
- Closely coordinates with the technical staff in supply side component of the project.
- Close cooperation with the Demand Creation team within PST as well as subject matter experts in KL and Comms.
- A Master’s Degree in Marketing or a suitable equivalent is required.
- Diploma or equivalent certification in advertising or media is highly desirable.
- Substantial experience in marketing management, with focus on consumer-facing advertising, brands and/or retail strategies, required.
- Demonstrated experience in brand management, as well designing, leading and implementing multiple marketing strategies and campaigns
- Creative asset and agency management with experience in developing work plans
- Good experience in budget administration, required.
- Good experience in people management, required.
- Experience working in a public/private partnership environment, and engagement with government, desirable.
- Previous experience in proposal writing preferred
- Familiarity with media buying, planning and research.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates expert problem solving, creativity, and good judgement.
- Goal-oriented, results-driven, ability to take initiative and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Understands and can interpret technical reports (media coverage reports, retail sales reports, consumer insight reports) & monitoring data to develop or revise strategies and prepare recommendations.
- Strong influencer, able to build and maintain effective working relationships externally and internally.
- Excellent organizational skills, efficient use of management tools, e.g., GANTT charts, SPRINT process.
- Excellent communication skills, notably working within diverse and collaborative spaces.
- Works effectively as a team leader, team member, and comfortable with autonomy.
- Fosters strong teamwork spirit, by setting clear and measurable goals, contributing to a positive team culture, and welcoming and respecting diverse opinions.
- High level of professionalism and integrity.
- Thorough familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, and project scheduling computer applications.
- Knowledge of traditional and digital advertising trends
- Fluent written and verbal English.
- Ability to travel.
What GAIN Offers
- Flexible working hours.
- Friendly working environment.
- Professional development opportunities.
NGN 12,037,380 – NGN 13,763,436 per annum (Depending on experience).
Application Closing Date
8th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online