Chemonics seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the anticipated USAID Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) activity in Benin. The anticipated, five-year, $10 to $25 million activity aims to strengthen and enhance the health system in Benin to deliver quality health services. The activity will 1) strengthen the management of human resources for health, 2) increase data availability and use, 3) increase private sector investments, and 4) strengthen the implementation and scale up of Universal Health Coverage (UHC). The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) acts as the chief of party and serves as the principal point of contact in Benin for procedural and substantive matters in the absence of the chief of party. The deputy chief of party will assist the chief of party in ensuring quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the award. The deputy chief of party will work with the chief of party to manage client relationships and oversee collaboration with other USAID and donor-funded programs and local stakeholders. The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will be a national or international-level expert in evidence-based policies related to health systems, with verifiable experience managing comparable health programs. This position will be based in Cotonou, Benin. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Work closely with the chief of party to provide overall leadership, management, administrative, and technical direction
- Serve as Chemonics’ coordinator with USAID/Benin, Beninese government institutions, senior-level national and county-level government officials, other implementing partners, and other key stakeholders including partners, public and private sector organizations, service providers, and beneficiaries to ensure the activity is meeting its objectives
- Lead the technical team to ensure that the project uses and promotes the highest standards for health systems strengthening approaches based on scientific evidence, while generating innovations to test
- Use data to track progress, inform decisions, share learning, and adapt project strategies
- Work closely with the chief of party to develop and implement annual work plans and budgets that reflect the priorities of USAID, the Ministry of Health (MOH), and other stakeholders
- Manage, coordinate, and supervise the work of project personnel, subcontractors, and grantees, with a focus on core results, achievement of work plan and targets and timely implementation
- Continuously assess and evaluate activity outcomes, ensuring learning is incorporated into implementation, making course corrections as appropriate, and maintain a high standard of reporting to USAID
- Implement the tasks of the chief of party as delegated by the chief of party
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in international development or public health, or any other field related to health systems strengthening (workforce development, supply chain, information systems, health financing,)
- Minimum ten (10) years of professional experience in international development, ideally in implementation of USAID-funded or other donor-funded projects, preferably on similar HSS projects
- Minimum three (3) years of experience as deputy chief of party, managing complex activities that involve coordination with multiple project stakeholders across a range of implementation areas relevant to HSS
- Previous experience working in Benin, West Africa region, or other countries with similar health systems and focused on achieving UHC
- Strong understanding of successful approaches to building the resilience of the Beninese health system and to optimizing resources to sustain equitable access to quality services.
- Strong ability to partner with the Government of Benin (GOB) to strengthen the capacity of host-country institutions and local organizations to improve equitable access and utilization of high-quality, evidence-based, and respectful health services
- Strong capacity to analyze and use data for strategic decisions for HSS.
- Experience involving the private sector in health is a plus
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership in designing, managing, implementing, and monitoring and evaluating similar-sized donor-supported projects, with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting; preferable experience in managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple project partner institutions
- Proven ability to build and maintain a strong, diverse, inclusive, cohesive team where all team members are empowered and supported, including stakeholders and partners.
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills to fulfill the project’s diverse technical and managerial requirements and effectively coordinate with a range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical and transparent practices
- Familiarity with USAID’s regulations; knowledge of Chemonics’ procedures preferred
- Fluency in English and French required
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
How to apply
Please complete your application via this link by March 31, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Country Director at International Rescue Committee
- Program Support Coordinator at CARE USA
- Aircraft Dispatcher and Flight Following Services (Valid Certificate in DGR CAT 6 or Higher – MUST) at CTG
- UN·E Adjoint·E Responsable De Departement Logistique Achat at Action Contre la Faim France
- Limited Emergency, Crash and Rescue / Fire Fighting Services at CTG