SoCha (a portmanteau of Social and Change) is an independent Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) firm that provides bespoke solutions to social challenges. We are a US-registered, veteran-owned small business with staff support offices in Nairobi, Bangkok, and Mauritius. SoCha currently supports multiple foreign assistance interventions across Asia and Africa.
SoCha, LLC is preparing a response to the Request for Task Order Proposals for the Sudan Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Project (SMEL). This award will support USAID/Sudan will support the implementation of a Mission-wide monitoring and evaluation (M&E) regime by providing monitoring, evaluation, assessment, and learning services. The task order is expected to be awarded by September 30, 2022.
The SMEL Activity will be a central platform for integrating collaboration, learning, and adapting (CLA) throughout the design and implementation of USAID/Sudan’s activities and ensuring that development activities funded by USAID/Sudan achieve their intended results through strong performance management of services in an efficient and cost-effective manner, with a focus on the monitoring of technical services; evaluation of technical services; and learning and adaptive management services.
To oversee the work of the MEL Support Activity, SoCha seeks an experienced Deputy Chief of Party/Evaluation Expert.
Scope of Work
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)/Evaluation Expert will be responsible for leading and managing the technical work related to performance monitoring, assessments, baseline analysis and evaluation under the resulting task order. S/he will:
- Develop and oversee contract work plans and budgets based on expected contract outputs and results using an adaptive management approach.
- Provide overall responsibility for all data collection, analysis, monitoring and evaluation, report generation, learning and dissemination activities, and related tasks.
- Ensure quality control and the overall responsiveness of MEL technical assistance provided under the contract, including necessary adjustments to operations to fit the requirements of USAID and working environment in Sudan.
- Oversee the training for USAID Staff and IP M&E Specialists staff and building local capacity for monitoring and evaluation staff and/or subcontractors.
- Identify issues and risks related to contract management in a timely manner.
- Responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short time frames while ensuring operational and program integrity.
- Responsible for management, oversight, and reporting of Contractor’s implementation, progress and quality of performance in meeting the required tasks.
- Manage the activity’s financial resources in accordance with the budget as well as USAID policies and regulations.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience supervising complex and challenging field operations in conflict environments, fragile or transitional countries. Demonstrated relevant project management experience and knowledge in establishing systems.
- Experience working in Africa, or the Middle East is highly desirable.
- A minimum of two (2) years international donor experience in the field of project management, evaluations, and assessments.
- An advanced university degree in the relevant subject area is preferred, including academic coursework or concentration in International Development, program evaluation, measurement, or program analysis.
- Evidence of being a “hands-on” Program manager; financial management experience, including budgeting; financial tracking, reporting, and accounting; procurement; and experience with activity design, development, and implementation are expected.
- Demonstrated a minimum of five-year experience in evaluation methodology, statistical analysis, experimental design, and/or data collection and analysis, and familiarity with
- Third-Party Monitoring is required, and/or a record of excellence in managing complex MEL tasks in a complex context in lieu of Third-Party Monitoring experience.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communications and presentation skills are required.
- Demonstrated experience in managing activity teams that have diverse backgrounds and skills is required.
- Experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, including donor/development organizations, government officials, civil society leaders, community leaders, and project beneficiaries is required.
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English is required.
Khartoum, Sudan with travel throughout the country.
- Job City Sudan