Abt Associates is an engine for social impact, fueled by caring, curiosity and cutting-edge research that moves people from vulnerability to security. Whether it’s welfare or weather disasters, the environment or economics, agriculture or HIV and AIDS, we address the world’s most pressing issues. Our work is diverse and so is our bold workforce. We never fail to ask “What if?” We identify patterns, we search for the best way.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party, LHSS Nigeria
Job Identification: 102004
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Project and Program Management
- The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project is a 5-year, $209 million global task order that works to strengthen health systems as a means to achieve universal health coverage and improve population health and well-being.
- Interventions will focus on reducing financial barriers, holding health services accountable for meeting all clients’ needs and making sure that the care patients receive meets minimum standards.
- LHSS’s Nigeria activity will support the Government of Nigeria in three states (Nasarawa, Plateau and Zamfara) to expand sustainable pro-poor health financing options to reduce health inequalities, improve access to essential health services for the most vulnerable populations, and increase government expenditure on health services for greater sustainability of health service delivery.
- The project will also support HIV/AIDS and TB financing in Lagos State.
- The activity has five objectives:
- Increase financial risk protection
- Improve population health coverage
- Increase number of fully functional facilities
- Increase utilization of state health insurance schemes for HIV/AIDS and TB services
- Increase government funding for HIV/AIDs and TB services.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Deputy Chief of Party Responsibilities:
- Provide managerial and technical support to the Chief of Party to deliver results for all objectives specified under the approved work plan
- Support the Chief of Party to ensure rapid start-up and response, exercising creativity and responsiveness to ensure staff, counterpart, and beneficiary safety while moving business operations forward to address urgent and emerging technical assistance and other needs.
- Represent Abt Associates and the project to the USAID Mission, the host country government, local partners and other key stakeholders; serve as delegate for Chief of Party, as needed
- Hire, supervise and support staff, in coordination with Chief of Party
- Support and provide quality assurance to the development and timely implementation of technical activities and ensure high-quality, timely deliverables
- Support Chief of Party in the project annual work planning process, and ensure that quality operational plans, budgets, and reports are submitted as per contract agreements
- Maintain good working relationships with government officials, government ministries, implementing partners, and other relevant stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned.
Health System Strengthening duties and responsibilities:
- Design the project strategy for the Health System Strengthening (HSS) component of the project, objectives 1-3, and oversee its implementation
- Provide technical guidance to state coordinators working with state agencies responsible for primary health care in the areas of human resources for health management, medicines and commodities, infrastructure strengthening, budgeting, and planning
- Continuously monitor progress on achievement of HSS goals at the national and state level and make recommendations for adjustments to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Support the program’s HIV activities, objectives 4-5, as they relate to quality service delivery issues
- Within the LHSS project, the Chief of Party will be supported by LHSS home office-based operations, finance, and technical expertise and will report to the LHSS Regional and country Managers.
- Bachelor’s Degree + Nine years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Seven years of relevant experience, or PhD + Four years of relevant experience.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health / Health Management or a Medical Degree or a Master’s Degree in Policy for Health is required.
- Minimum of 12 years’ prior experience in implementing complex health system strengthening activities in the public and/or private sectors is required.
- Demonstrated experience conducting and leading major donor-funded health projects, or leading health organizations.
- Policy development and advisory experience to national health leaders on health system strengthening, resulting in demonstrated improved and sustained health outcomes.
- Proficient English writing/speaking skills required.
Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
Application Closing Date
20th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
- Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
- Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.