Locations : Ghana (Any)
Time type : Full time
Job requisition id : Requisition – 2022200364
FHI 360 is a global development organization, with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our team of professionals includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from over 60 offices with more than 4000 employees in the United States and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at all levels and our multi-disciplinary approach allows us to have a lasting impact on the people, communities and countries we serve by improving the lives of millions. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Deputy Chief of Party, Technical for the upcoming USAID funded Strengthening Accountability in Ghana’s Education System (SAGES) opportunity. This position will be based in Accra, Ghana or in a field office in the project’s target regions – and is contingent upon award.
The anticipated 5-year Strengthening Accountability in Ghana’s Education System (SAGES) Activity seeks to increase and strengthen accountability in the education sector. The project will include support to operationalize the government’s education accountability framework by enhancing the supervision of education personnel from the district to the school level, improving the ability of local authorities and District Education Authorities to implement the framework and address teacher professional behavior issues such as high teacher absenteeism and inadequate time on task in the classroom, and engaging school management committees and parent-teacher associations to harness community support for improved school management and education quality. The project will also strengthen citizen action and engagement at the local level to ensure that the government delivers quality services with increased accountability. The project will work with the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Ghana Education Service (GES) at the national level and will have a strong focus in the North.
The Deputy Chief of Party, Technical works in close coordination with the Chief of Party and is responsible for managing the quality and timeliness of the project’s overall technical workstream. S/he will supervise the technical team, liaise with technical partners, relevant national and decentralized stakeholders, beneficiaries and the donor, as needed.
Technical Oversight and Coordination
- Facilitate the operationalization of the education accountability framework through systems strengthening and capacity building at all levels of the education system.
- Provide support , technical assistance and training to government actors to improve the quality of and use of education data for decision-making, and decentralized resource management at central and decentralized levels.
- Supports the development, planning and training of personnel at decentralized levels of the education system to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and quality of the workforce.
- Provides technical advice and support for strategies and actions to improve transparency, engagement, information sharing, constructive debate and positive working relationships between government and civil society education stakeholders to achieve targeted outcomes in education.
- Supports increased quality of education and opportunity to learn by improving t he work of school management committees and parent teacher associations
- Coordinate closely with the Chief of Party (COP) on all technical matters; provide support to the overall leadership and management of the project.
- Coordinate planning process to ensure strategic and cohesive program direction , and ongoing inclusive and adaptive management
- Oversee technical outputs (activities, strategies and deliverables) of all implementing partner organizations through regular field visits and facilitate regular technical meetings for all partners.
- Develop and oversee a local partner capacity building activities, including technical, managerial and governance capacities.
- Coordinate with the M&E Director to ensure that MEL and CLA plan s enhances the project’s ability to ensure te c hnical qual ity and provide feedback for technical interventions. Provide guidance to technical staff, ensure clear roles and responsibilities and maintain clear lines of communication with project team members.
- Collaborate with in-country technical advisors and headquarter-based technical staff to ensure the project is implemented according to organization and industry best practices, program framework, and regulations.
- Lead the process of preparing timely and accurate reporting on technical interventions and preparing technical deliverables . .
- Represent the project in technical meetings, conferences, and coordination platforms representative in the absence/temporary leave of the COP.
- Serve as the primary technical program representative in the absence/temporary leave of the COP.
- Master’s degree required ( PhD preferred ) in education, social sciences, or related field required .
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible technical management experience in support of large-scale, donor-funded international development programs, preferably in Ghana or the region.
- Background and demonstrated experience in governance, accountability and strengthening government capacity at multiples levels of the education system.
- E xperience in capacity development at human, institutional and policy levels, including strategic planning and organizational processes required; knowledge of current education system strengthening best practices and trends relevant to USAID strategy preferred .
- Relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with programs that are of a similar scope and scale to this program.
- Strong knowledge of, and commitment to, gender equity and social inclusion issues in education.
- Proven ability to coordinate with government stakeholders, as well as non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to build positive working relationships with local communities, government officials at national and local levels , and donor representatives.
- Ability to analyze and establish effective cross-program coordination, procedures, and management systems.
- Demonstrated ability in complex environments, working across different cultures, and managing diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines.
- Experience in the education sector in Ghana or the region strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English is required.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and a package of exceptional benefits. Please visit the FHI 360 Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an employer with equal opportunity and affirmative action. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status in policies, programs, or activities.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package , professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Distribution Assistant at Christian Aid (CA)
- Senior Education in Emergencies Advisor at Save the Children
- Regional Head of Program Implementation – Moroto at Save the Children
- Regional Head of Program Implementation – Fort Portal at Save the Children
- Head of Programme Development and Partnership at Save the Children