The Deputy Country Director (DCD) will be the Technical Lead for the market systems and financial services/investment components of the LEGEND Project and act as assistant to the Country Director specifically on project implementation. The DCD will be responsible for leading and building capacity within the field team in market systems and financial services/investment technical approaches, to ensure effective implementation of market systems development strategies and project performance targets. Responsibilities include: building capacity of local staff and partners in market systems development approaches in the context of the project’s specific agricultural sub-sectors and with a focus on women and youth economic development, serve as the principal liaison between MEDA and the local financial service partners, including banks, micro-finance institutions, investment funds and other financial service / market system actors; support CD in field staff recruitment and management; and support the development of project performance tracking monitoring and impact measurement (MIM) systems. Act as a member of the Senior Management Team, providing leadership and direction to the overall project.
- Job Status: Full-time Contract
- Anticipated Start Date: July 2022
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Oversee the implementation components of the financial services/investment, market systems and SME business development approaches, in all different targeted regions by the project
- Coordinate with the crosscutting services team to ensure effective integration of gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) and environment and climate change (ECC) within these technical approaches
- Help build capacities of local staff and partners in market systems development
- Ensure effective and efficient management of the Investment and Financial Services Specialist, Market Systems and BDS Specialist, and Regional Operations Managers (Coast/Kisumu) within project’s compliance with planning, monitoring, evaluation, performance, and reporting as established and defined by the relevant contracts and by MEDA’s standards.
- Assist the Country Director (CD) in setting bases, in managing, developing, and monitoring the project in order to obtain all expected results, to achieve performance targets and sustainability of the project
- Assist the CD and MEDA to cultivate new business development opportunities in-country and regionally.
- Ensure there is maintenance of strict budgetary adherence and monitoring.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration to review contracts, pre-award assessments, grant audits, compliance, and systems improvement. Finance holds responsibilities of legal and financial reviews of contracts and commitments.
- Work with CD and SPM to set up grant pipelining, awarding, monitoring, and close out protocols.
- Establish a grantee and partner monitoring system.
- Ensure positive relations with donors are maintained, as well as with other local development organizations, local governments, and the business community.
- Ensure positive relations with colleagues and develop teamwork spirit
- Manage relationships with Key Facilitating Partners, ensuring positive relationships are maintained and targets achieved.
- Undertake a program of planned visits on a regular cycle to the project sites as well as those with all partners to ensure mutually beneficial outcomes are achieved.
- Submit regular Donor reports and workplans, in coordination with the Country Director, Finance and Admin Team, Cross-cutting services team, programming team and HQ technical specialists
Education: University degree (ideally Masters) in business, financial services, international development, enterprise development, economic development, agriculture, or related field.
Experience: A minimum of seven years’ experience implementing value chain/economic development projects including managing teams to deliver economic growth outcomes.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application through the link below.