International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) – Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training. INSO works in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries with its headquarters in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Director
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 12-month Contract
INSO Nigeria, Lake Chad Basin:
- INSO Lake Chad Basin began in April 2016 with the establishment of an office in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The Maiduguri field office is supported by a country office in Abuja, and the platform currently supports more than 70 NGOs working in Nigeria. An upsurge of conflict between armed groups has led to increased humanitarian needs.
- By providing analysis and advice on the dynamic security environment, we are assisting partners to stay and deliver aid to people who are displaced and in need. Working with INSO in the Lake Chad basin region, will give you the unique opportunity to directly enable NGOs to do their job safely.
- The Deputy Director is based in Maiduguri with travel to Abuja and reports to the Country Director.
- As Deputy Director, you will oversee all aspects of service delivery and plays a key role in ensuring that INSO provides the best support possible to NGOs through services to beneficiaries in the regional security environment.
- Specific responsibilities include implementation and monitoring of services delivery, management of program team and support to broader program strategy development and implementation.
- You should have a strong background in NGO safety and security, be outgoing, inquisitive and detail oriented, and have significant experience building and leading high performing teams.
- In addition, you will need to analyse complex security issues and contexts and share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
Team Leadership and Management:
- Direct management of the program team- Safety Advisors, Training Manager, Information Manager; including recruitment, training, orientation, and on-the-job mentoring
- Steering the program during the Country Director’s absence
- Editorial responsibility for bi-monthly analytical report
- Support the Country Director in the preparation of quarterly reports and monthly CD meetings
- Supervise and provide quality assurance of INSO service delivery and products
- Along with the Information Manager, ensure the Conflict Humanitarian Data Centre is up to date and that all standards and internal protocols are respected
- Represent INSO and liaise with third parties, including NGOs, the UN and international donors
- Support program development and implementation
- Develop and implement internal security management policy, SOPs and guidelines
- Exemplary command of English
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience
- Significant experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments with progressive seniority
- Proven writing, editing, and analytical skills and a keen eye for detail – the position involves substantial report editing and reviews
- Acceptance and strong understanding of humanitarian principles
- Thorough understanding of humanitarian access issues
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and their application
- Mature leadership and staff management experience in multi-cultural settings
- Excellent networking, diplomatic, and representative communication skills
- Experience working in Nigeria or Lake Chad Basin with demonstrable understanding of the context
- Experience in staff capacity development and training
- Experience with NGO project management, including donor reporting and relations
- First-hand experience of crisis management
- Existing information networks
- Detailed understanding of INSO mandate & services
Key Personal Competencies:
- Good listener
- Effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English
Salary and Benefits
- €5000 / Month salary
- 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 2 months with an R&R allowance of 1250 EUR
- Global medical coverage (excluding USA), $200,000 AD&D coverage
Application Closing Date
7th April, 2023.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO.
- Updated CV.
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10 page max).
Note: Please do not send any additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.