Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Human Resource Coordinator
Job Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and responsibility of the position
- Support the HR Coordinator through delegated tasks and responsibilities according to the instructions of the HR Coordinator and MSF protocols in order to improve the management of human resources and contribute to the professional growth of MSF employees in the mission.
- Replaces the HR Coordinator in his/her absence.
- Participate in the Human Resource planning, implementation and monitoring in the mission to properly achieve the mission’s objectives and respond to needs that may arise, particularly:
- Participate in the definition of job profiles, and the mission set-up in terms of HR needs.
- Participate in the project opening and closing and its time-frame from HR perspective.
- Provide support to field teams in order to guarantee good performance and management.
- Provide support to field coordinators, field Administration Managers and other supervisors in all HR related issues, provide technical support ensuring they understand and apply HR management policies and tools.
- Provide support in the legal, administrative HR management of the mission, for both national and international staff, on issues related to Labour law, contracts, salaries, social security, labor relations, health insurance systems, etc
- Together with HRCo, check the living standards of international, regional, delocalized staff and help monitoring international staff’s movements (visas, tickets, etc)
- Participate in the selection and recruitment processes, as well as in the induction programs and welcome briefings/sessions in order to recruit and prepare the most suitable candidates for the mission
- Participate in the identification of staff development, training needs / potential to promote the professional growth of people within the organization.
- Report to the HRCo on the implementation of HR policies in the field as well as of any incidents / problems that may arise and make proposals to improve HR management in the field.
- Support HRCo in the overall administration of the Mission.
- Represent MSF in meetings with Authorities and other NGOs for issues related to HR and Administration, at the request of the HRCo.
- Support HRCo in all reporting tools under his/her responsibility.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
International Staff Matching and Administration:
- The Dep. HRCO will be responsible for matching processes of IS positions and oversees the Administrative activities in the mission.
- To ensure timely Opening of vacancy/matching for international Staff positions across the mission, providing technical support and guidance to the coordination team and the Administration Managers.
- To support Visa and immigration issues for international travelers in conjunction with the Admin Transit Officer of the mission.
- Oversees the accommodation needs for the staff in Abuja housed by MSF.
Human Resource Support:
- Supporting the Human Resource Coordinator (HRCo) in the following HR aspects (but not limited to):
- To provide support to field coordinators, field HR/Administration Managers and other supervisors in all HR related issues, provide technical support ensuring they understand and apply HR management policies and tools.
- Supporting in the implementation of the different HR strategies and policies for the mission.
- Undertaking regular field visits to support the projects.
- Taking HR responsibility of one or two projects.
- Providing cover for HRCo during his/her absence.
- Assisting with responsible behaviour workshops and case management (if required).
- Developing/reviewing policies in conjunction with the HRCo.
- Any other tasks as assigned by the HRCo.
- Coaching Fin/HR staffs in all project locations.
- Ensuring improvement in communication with other departments and project teams.
- Finalize Admin Toolkit, and update regularly.
- The Dep HRCo shall gap fill/Cover positions when necessary.
- Strengthening documentation of HR management as project level.
- Flexible to undertake additional responsibilities when needed.
- Provides project support to field HR by regular visits; Advises the project on HR issues; Monthly/bimonthly project support visits to projects.
- In close collaboration with HRCo, works on strengthening the capacity of the HR Coordination team.
- Conducts presentations on relevant HR topics for the Mission.
- In close collaboration with the L&D Manager, manages the NS evaluation process across the mission
- Assists the HRCo with the mid- year review process.
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Essential: Degree in Human Resource Management or Administration related studies.
- Essential: At least 2 years senior management experience as a Deputy. HRCo or equivalent position, and 4 year experience as HR Manager and/or Fin/HR Manager.
- Experience in learning and development.
- Understanding of MSF responsible behaviour process
- Willingness to learn and function well in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Experience working in political, security and humanitarian issues in the country
- Essential: Good command of English Language.
- Computer proficiency in the use of MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint & Internet applications
- Use of Homere HR Software.
- Planning & organising, People Management & Development, Teamwork and Cooperation, Strategic vision, Leadership.
- Legal & Compliance, HR Administration, Performance Management & Development, Training & Coaching, Organisation design, Team Management, Recruitment, IT HR Tools, Compensation and Benefits, Change Management, Policy Development & Implementation, Communication.
Application Closing Date
5:00 PM: 15th December, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will notbe considered.
- NO Transportation and NO per diems will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Humanitarian Affairs Officer (Abuja) at the United Nations (UN)
- Logistics Assistant at Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI)
- Head of Project – WFP at Welthungerhilfe
- Lac Tele Community Reserve Director at Wildlife Conservation Society
- Head of Biomonitoring and Research Kahuzi-Biega National Park, DRC at Wildlife Conservation Society