Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy Project Director, EpiC
Job type: Full time
Supervisor: EpiC Nigeria Project Director
Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC), a five-year global project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), is dedicated to achieving and maintaining HIV epidemic control and preventing, preparing for, responding to, and bolstering health systems to address COVID-19. While originally designed as a HIV program, EpiC has been modified to accept COVID-19 funding and is currently implementing COVID-19 activities in 45 countries. In Nigeria, EpiC is supporting the following key activities:
- EpiC will continue to provide a comprehensive package of prevention and care for people living with HIV (PLHIV) in Akwa Ibom and Cross River states and support to the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) laboratory at the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University Teaching Hospital (COOUTH), Anambra State and University of Uyo Teaching Hospital, Akwa Ibom State. This will be done through working closely with USAID/Nigeria, Nigerian Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA), National AIDS and STIs Control Program (NASCP), and local implementing partners (IPs), institutions, and health agencies.
- EpiC will support in building the capacity of subcontractor UCS Global towards readiness to receive direct funding to meet the PEPFAR goal of ensuring 70% of funding is to local partners. Through the USAID Care Center – which operationalizes a free, call-in service that answers questions and serves as an information clearing house for clients on HIV treatment and for individuals considering other HIV-related services – this activity will continue to respond to the need to expand HIV prevention, treatment, care, and support services to the general population, and to facilitate access to HIV services to traditionally underserved populations such as men who have sex with men (MSM), female sex workers (FSW), adolescents, rural dwellers, etc. and in general, to persons who may prefer to seek HIV information, treatment, care, and support in anonymity.
- COVID programming through several tranches of funding. Key activities include:
- Support the acceleration of COVID-19 vaccination and facilitate integrated service delivery by leveraging USAID’s existing facility and community service delivery platforms and partnerships to advance State and LGA level coordination and scale up mass vaccination campaigns
- Play an advocacy and coordination role identifying state level COVID-19 response and/or vaccination leads to
- ensure they are not duplicating efforts with their state, LGA or facility level
- Capacity development and technical support for national and state programs and logistics officers in forecasting and quantification for emergency response planning, including modeling of annual supply plans at the sub-national level
- Strengthen the linkage between the COVID-19 medical oxygen technical working groups at national and sub-national level, scale up oxygen use tracking system and medical oxygen equipment management system, and strengthen the oxygen ecosystem in Nigeria; and
- Mount a coordinated, strategic response to overcome the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on PEPFAR programs and beneficiaries in Nigeria by focusing on preventing, preparing for, and responding to COVID-19, and mitigating the impact of COVID-19 on PEPFAR programs and beneficiaries and support program recovery from the impacts of COVID-19. .
- The EpiC Nigeria Deputy Project Director, under the guidance of the Project Director, will provide technical leadership, develop technical strategies and oversee the performance monitoring and technical implementation and provide oversight for technical aspects of activities, under the oversight of the EpiC global management team.
- S/he will serve as an alternate point of contact for the EpiC Nigeria project, liaising closely with the USAID/Nigeria mission, FMoH/SMOH, and local partners.
- S/he will work with the Project Director to provide technical and management leadership to the project and ensure successful implementation of the work plan and achievement of the project’s targets and goals.
- They will identify venues to share program successes to strategically advance EpiC program objectives in Nigeria.
- S/he will be required to coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations and stakeholders, such as the Department of Health, senior government officials, civil society organizations, regional health staff, international and national development partner organizations, and the USAID mission.
- They will identify innovations and best practices from other contexts to address challenges in the Nigeria setting.
- The Deputy Project Director will ensure that technical efforts are evidence-based, community-driven and will contribute to the deliverables in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the development and implementation of the program, program strategies, workplan and program reports related to all components of EpiC’s HIV and COVID-19 streams.
- Responsible for provision of in-country technical assistance and the identification of technical assistance needs within the program.
- Coordinate closely with other FHI 360 projects in the region, with international and national NGOs and other implementing partners to strengthen the quality of HIV and COVID programming in Nigeria.
- Lead the technical team to examine challenges in achieving targets, source in potential innovations from other EpiC or regional programming and test these innovations in Nigeria.
- Engage in South-to-South learning and collaborate/build upon country and regional initiatives, as applicable.
- Serve as an advocate and communicator for the EpiC Nigeria program, amplify USAID/Nigeria’s work with key stakeholders including the MoH, and share program results and outcomes to advance the objectives of the program, and HIV and COVID programming, in Nigeria.
- Identify opportunities to share program successes to strategically advance HIV and COVID programming within the MOH and other key stakeholders.
- Provide technical and programmatic expertise in HIV prevention, care, treatment, and viral load activities for general and members of key populations.
- Participate in reviewing and providing feedback on partners’ M&E framework, plans and reports to ensure quality program reporting of results.
- Provide oversight of budget development and track spending to ensure burn rate and pipeline are on track; support re-programming funds as needed based on program needs.
- Oversee production of timely and accurate technical reports to FHI 360 and USAID as required, including responding promptly to all requests from USAID.
- Coordinate community engagement and empowerment activities with local partners for access to COVID-19, HIV and other health services.
- Devise locally sensitive strategies to ensure that quality of services provided directed at reducing barriers and improvement in access to services.
- Work with CBOs, CSOs local health centers and the MOH to increase the uptake of HIV, COVID-19 and other health and wellness related services both at a community and clinic level, and in line with National HIV Strategic Plan as well as FMOH’s COVID-19 response plan.
- Contribute to the achievement of high-quality results in accordance with the targets identified in the work plan and proactive management of any shortfalls.
- Keep abreast of developments in larger HIV/AIDS and COVID-19 fields; document project methodologies, results, and outcomes, and in collaboration with EpiC HQ develop abstracts and publications.
- Contribute to program quality according to FHI 360 standards including quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives.
- A minimum of a Master’s level Degree in Public Health, Health Administration, Management, Social Work, or Business Administration with a focus on public health, social sciences, or related field.
- A minimum of eight years’ experience with progressively increasing responsibility designing, implementing, managing, and leading large development programs involving multiple partners, stakeholders, and geographic target areas in a developing country; preference for experience managing USAID and PEPFAR-funded programs.
- A minimum of five years of experience designing, implementing, and managing HIV programming for general populations; preferably in sub-Saharan Africa.
- A minimum of three years of experience providing specific technical direction and oversight of the development and management of HIV programs with key populations.
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience leading a technical activity through evidence and data driven decision making.
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to liaise with senior government officials, dignitaries, executives of NGOs, FBOs, CBOs, and the for-profit business community, and senior members of the donor community.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing a diverse team and excellent interpersonal and advocacy skills.
- Excellent communication, writing, and oral presentation skills in English.
- Previous experience in Nigeria preferred.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Communications Coordinator at ActionAid (AA) Nigeria
- Project Management Systems Specialist at Plan International
- Partnerships Officer at Save the Children
- Refugee Communications Coordinator – Kenya National at Church World Service
- Senior Evaluation Review Consultant/Team Lead at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Head of programmes at WaterAid