About the team
The ECF’s Strategic Communications team is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, national and sectoral level.
Team members deliver strategic advice, direct communications to media outlets, and outreach support to partners and work as part of a global network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions more broadly.
The Net Zero team is currently accepting applications for an enthusiastic and highly driven individual to join its team as Digital Associate. The Net Zero team is responsible for coordinating and delivering a communications strategy with partner organisations to fight back against greenwashing and ensure net zero commitments are adequate, immediate and verifiable.
About the role
We are looking for a Digital Associate, who is deeply knowledgeable of best practices in digital communications and is a creative innovator who enjoys designing and executing new approaches. The successful candidate will use social and digital media to build and sustain engagement with key global audiences on climate issues to drive meaningful change. The role also involves providing practical advice to a wide array of partners working on net zero accountability efforts, standards and campaigns calling out greenwashing and poor quality carbon offsetting. The ideal candidate enjoys strategic planning, designing, and execution of highly engaging social and digital media campaigns.
This opportunity suits someone with proven experience in digital communications and a passion for addressing climate change. We are looking for a professional who enjoys collaborations and partnerships, thrives on trying new approaches, is open to feedback, takes initiative, and is solutions-oriented.
▪ Designing, implementing and reporting on digital campaigns:
- Helping set digital and content strategies for new campaigns.
- Writing copy for graphics, videos and websites, and producing graphics and video content using tools such as Canva and Lumen5.
- Posting content on a variety of social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- Setting up ads on social media platforms (especially LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook) and search engines (especially Google).
- Helping to organise and maintain A/B testing programmes, and using digital metrics to assess which content is performing best in any given campaign or A/B test.
- Regularly posting search engine optimised content to existing websites and generally leading on website management.
- Overseeing the creation of simple campaign websites and helping to optimise them for search engines.
- Producing campaign reports using tools such as Google Data Studio.
▪ Completing research tasks (such as building audience lists, social listening analysis, and looking into new tools to help our work).
▪ Administrative tasks related to digital campaigns (such as organising calls with partners, liaising with freelancers and agencies, agenda setting, note taking, maintaining libraries and databases).
Experience and competencies
▪ Significant experience in the field of digital communications, marketing, or campaigning
▪ An advanced level of English sufficient to work in an international English-speaking network;
▪ Working knowledge of how digital and social media can be used for campaigns;
▪ A strong sense of story: which stories can affect and mobilize people;
▪ Experience running social media campaigns independently (mapping out audiences, creating and distributing content, assessing impact), and managing websites (uploading blog pieces, performing basic SEO);
▪ Experience placing ad campaigns on Google, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn;
▪ Basic understanding of digital content creation; graphic design, photo and video editing and writing skills;
▪ Experience in audience insights, segmentation and audience list management;
▪ Basic data literacy and an understanding of data-driven decision making, particularly familiarity with digital metrics, how to judge whether a campaign or something piece of content has been successful or not, and how to report that information to colleagues with less digital experience;
▪ Ability to lead projects with various partners;
▪ The ability to work and learn quickly, both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced, international environment.
▪ Experience judging the success of and reporting on digital campaigns, using social listening tools such as Keyhole or Talkwalker or data tools like Google Data Studio;
▪ Proven track record of experimenting with new ways to communicate with a wide range of audiences, familiarity of digital platforms and tools (such as Sprout, Autopilot, Brandwatch) to target and engage different audiences;
▪ Website management/SEO and a working understanding of GDPR would be an advantage;
▪ Knowledge of the wider climate and justice movement, and the relevant social media and digital ecosystem.
What we offer
▪ The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
▪ A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
▪ A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year
Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload below:
- short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
- both in English!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.