GRADE: Consultant (with potential to become Part or Full Time Hire)
POSITION TITLE: Digital Security Trainer
REPORTS TO: SAFE MENA Regional Manager
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
The Digital Security Trainer, under the supervision of the Regional Manager, will be hired as a consultant to prepare and deliver regionally contextualized digital safety trainings and workshops to journalists and other media practitioners.
Please note this position is a consultancy-based work with an expected approximate 100 working days per year.
The position is open to all qualified Arabic speaker applicants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and deliver contextualized lessons/assistance in digital security care including risk management, planning, incident management, and information management and communication, that reflect an integrated safety framework;
- Ensure integrated approach to trainings and training activities through working closely with other program trainers, as well as other program staff and consultants;
- Review and help develop and/or contextualize training material with a digital security perspective;
- Support the development and updating of M&E tools that take into account local context and beneficiary profile;
- Work with the Manager and technical team to develop and update training curriculum as needed;
- Coordinate with the Manager on needs assessment and risk assessment work prior to trainings as needed;
- Coordinate with the Manager on digital support follow-ups with training participants as needed;
- Provide individual and organizational risk mitigation strategies as needed;
- Report on activities as required by Regional Manager;
- Assist staff members with digital security needs and other technical support as needed;
- Monitor updates related to new digital security tools and digital threats affecting media practitioners and human rights defenders in the region;
- Participate in skill share with team and peers;
- Participate in meetings and/or calls with staff; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Regional Manager and Program Director.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to communicate professionally in Arabic and provide written reporting in English and Arabic required.
- Strong understanding of principles behind digital safety tools and training strategies, required.
- 3-5 years’ experience conducting digital security trainings, specifically training individuals and groups working in the media and human rights fields;
- Experience developing risk assessments, management, and mitigation plans for organizations preferred, with a focus on digital safety.
- Demonstrated expertise in areas such as training programming, and curriculum development.
- Knowledge of journalism sector as well as operating environment and media landscape in MENA region.
- Excellent management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Valid passport and travel permissions required, for potential international travel; and
- Experience of working constructively as part of a small team.
How to apply
To apply please submit a CV with a summary of relevant experience along with a daily rate (in $ USD).
IREX may at its discretion ask for additional information, including references. Issuing this call does not commit IREX to select any applicant/expert. IREX reserves the right, based on availability of funding and consultant performance, to increase the duration and/or enter into subsequent contractual agreements with the selected candidates without re-publicizing the opportunity.
IREX conducts anti- terrorism database clearances on candidates who accept employment offers.
IREX is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and inclusive hiring practice. IREX is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE