Career with BRAC International
BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organisation, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organisation of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world’s biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
BRAC International is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Digital Transformation Associate – BRAC International Holdings B.V.
About the Opportunity
The Digital Transformation Associate will support BRAC International Microfinance entities in 7 – 10 countries in Africa and Asia in research to inform the development of customer-centric digital transformation strategies and digital financial services appropriate for BRAC’s existing and target customers especially women and youth. S/he will support BI-MF portfolio countries to implement digital projects and action plans to increase outreach, deliver a superior customer experience, increase organizational efficiency, and find the right balance between tech and touch for BRAC’s customers. S/he will coordinate the digitalization of the microfinance field operations, the implementation of digital delivery channels including digital payments and the design and implementation of innovative digital financial services appropriate for BRAC’s customers. S/he will think creatively to innovate new uses for technology to address access, usage, literacy, security, and other barriers limiting the use of DFS by BRAC’s existing and target customers especially women and youth. The key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Digital Strategy and Innovation:
- Support the implementation of BRAC International Microfinance Digital strategy to digitalize field operations, deploy digital channels and DFS in BI MF’s portfolio countries
- Work with BRAC International Microfinance entities in Africa and Asia to conduct market assessments to inform the development/refinement of country specific digital strategies
- Work with BI MF portfolio countries to implement their digital strategies and action plans to achieve overall business objectives of increasing outreach, delivering a superior customer experience, and increasing organizational efficiency
- Support the design and pilot of customer centric digital financial solutions that meet the needs of BRAC’s customers
Digital Processes, Channels and Products Implementation:
- Work with the Digital Transformation Managers (DTMs) in respective countries to design, test, refine and implement digital transformation projects. The digital transformation associate will support the in-country DTMs to develop the business case, value proposition, cost- benefit analysis, business requirements analysis, project implementation plans, and implement change management activities to maximize the impact of digital projects on business and BRAC’s customers
- Support in-country digital transformation managers to manage and track the implementation of digital projects to ensure project objectives are achieved in an effective, efficient and timely manner.
- Work with in-country DTMs in respective countries to design and implement monitoring surveys and use survey findings to refine and improve BRAC’s processes and products and enhance the customer experience in using DFS.
- Cooperate with BI digital transformation and IT teams and portfolio country head office, IT and operations teams to implement their digital strategy and work with the teams to adapt their processes and products accordingly.
- Continuous training and handholding of country teams on business case and value proposition development for digital channels, piloting, monitoring and incorporating client feedback to improve customer experience on digital channels and products.
- Work with BI MF and country teams to design and implement client and staff digital training programs including designing digital training content, training plans and training delivery
- Work with the BI and country digital transformation managers to disseminate and share knowledge and lessons learned among the different BI MF countries to support the implementation of organizational best practices for designing and implementing different digital projects in BI MF
- Work with marketing and communication teams to design effective marketing campaigns and communication to enhance adoption and active usage of DFS
- Support country teams to implement digital-related policies, procedures and standards in alignment with their digital strategies
Market and Ecosystem Intelligence:
- Keep an active watch on digital technologies available in the market that may improve the quality and efficiency of our field operations, and product and service delivery
- Work with other enabling stakeholders, such as regulators, universities, governments, think-tanks, BRAC’s fundraising teams, and others to innovate and maximize DFS for impact.
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
Skills and Competencies Requirements:
- In-depth understanding of the key drivers in a digital product/emerging technology business.
- Insight into the way that digital transformation is affecting industry and knowledge of best practices.
- Experience in digital project management, including technological aspects that enabled you to develop skills in understanding business needs and transcribing them into functional specifications for a digital tool.
- Excellent attention to details and experience in managing multiple projects
- Drive, flexibility, resilience and the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to effectively work remotely, across time zones and team locations, as well in person with multiple teams of stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to translate complex technological implementation language to non-technical people.
- Fluency in English required (spoken, reading and written)
- Familiarity and experience with microfinance preferred
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Masters or Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Development Studies, IT and Engineering
- Minimum three (3) years of related experience working in financial inclusion, product development, digital finance, microfinance/micro-lending, technology for development, payments platforms.
- Years of experience in managing international development programs, including work and/or living experience in emerging markets. Several years’ experience working with financial institutions, MNOs, FinTech is helpful.
- Substantial exposure in conducting customer centric research for DFS and using customer insights to design DFS for impact
- Substantial exposure in implementing digital field applications, mobile payments and/or other DFS projects
- Exposure to a wide range of decision-making processes and as a result has become comfortable assessing business processes and requirements to inform the design and implementation of DFS projects
- Experience working with MNOs, FinTech, financial institutions, regulators is an added advantage
Employment type: Contractual
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
How to apply
If you feel you are the right candidate for this position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates should email their CV/Resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates should send their updated CV/Resume and cover letter mentioning BRAC PIN to email@example.com
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 79/22 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 14 August 2022
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are the part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer