The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director for Customs Administration (AfCFTA)
Requisition ID: 1553
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Deputy Secretary General
Directorate/Department : African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)
Division : Customs Administration
Number of Direct Reports: 17
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for the operations of the entire directorate/department. Plan, develop and implement strategic policies while promoting inter- directorate/department collaboration.
- Provide technical and strategic advice to the Secretary General and to the AfCFTA’s Institutions by providing support to all technical directorates.
- Develop and maintain operating rules and procedures.
- Provide technical leadership and ensure efficient functioning of all Divisions.
- Ensure overall management of the directorate/department personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force.
- Determine and execute the overall strategy of the directorate.
- Develop and oversee policy development guidelines.
- Prepare and oversee integrated programmes of overall activities of the directorate.
- Build and maintain a strategic plan to form good working relations with another directorate/department.
- Develop and maintain regular working relations with top level stakeholders in appropriate agencies of Member States and partners.
- Organize coordination meetings between the organization and other relevant organizations.
- Ultimately responsible for preparing periodic financial and budget execution reports and annual financial statements and other reports.
- Promote awareness and training of best practices in area of expertise.
- Prepare periodic financial and budget execution reports and annual financial statements and other reports.
- Develop Strategic Framework, Standard Operation Procedure that enhance trade facilitation and enforcement for Customs Cooperation
- Engage with State Parties, stakeholders and partners on custom matters and the implementation of trade facilitation measures
- Coordinate State Parties towards building efficient customs procedures, trade facilitation and transit systems
- Liaise with relevant national bodies on Custom cooperation and mutual administrative assistance
- Spearhead the establishment of modern data processing system to facilitate effective and efficient custom operation and transmission of trade data
- Lead the role of Secretariat for Sub-Committee on Trade Facilitation, customs cooperation and Transit and other relevant meetings on Customs
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the AfCFTA Agreement on Customs
- Lead activities related to the establishment of a continental Customs Union
- Determine and execute Directorate strategy and align to the AfCFTA overall Strategy
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- University Master’s Degree in International Trade, Development Economics, International Relations, International Business, International Law, Political Science or any relevant discipline
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in profession related to trade in Service, regulation of foreign investment, trade law, international negotiations, intellectual property rights, cross border barriers, transnational corporate law and practice out of which eight (8) years of this should be at managerial level managing professional staff in support of – or within – a national, regional, continental, or international organization.
- Management experience and ability to relate and facilitate interactions with others;
- Ability to think critically and solve problems;
- Ability to communication orally and in writing;
- Reports writing and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Planning, organizational and reporting skills;
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically;
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; with regard to performance management and professional development;
- Conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Familiarity with international and regional policy processes and policy analysis in the relevant area; and
- Proficiency in one of the AU Official working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese and Spanish), fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Focus
- Developing Organizational Capability
- Change Leadership
- Strategic Risk Management.
- Building Partnerships
- Drives Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact.
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138 .00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
19th December, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Head of Programs at Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS)
- Biomedical Engineer at Health Initiative For Safety and Stability in Africa (HIFASS)
- Compliance and Grant Coordinator at GOALPrime Organization Nigeria (GPON)
- Roving Case Management Supervisor at GOALPrime Organization Nigeria (GPON)
- Clinical Psychologist at GOALPrime Organization Nigeria (GPON)