Duty Station: Country Office, Juba, South Sudan (with frequent Field Support Visits).
Reporting to: Country Director (CD) – South Sudan & HQ Program Coordinator (PC), Bonn – Germany.
Deputizes the Country Director.
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe South Sudan. Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe is registered in South Sudan with Relief & Rehabilitation Commission (RRC) No. 086; currently implementing WASH, Nutrition and Food Security & Livelihood projects in the Lakes region since 2011 providing clean safe drinking water, sanitation facilities, hygiene, nutrition, and food security service in Awerial, Yirol East and Yirol West in the Republic Of South Sudan (RoSS) to reduce water and hygiene-related diseases, fight against malnutrition and food insecurity amongst others prevalent problems. Through its partnership and cluster-based coordination with various national organizations and governmental authorities, Help provides technical support and capacity building in South Sudan.
General Purpose of the Role
The Director of Programs is responsible to support Help’s South Sudan mission in the implementation, strengthening, and monitoring of the country’s programing aspect in line with Help’s Country Strategy, plans, and policies, and in strong coordination with the Country Director and Program Coordinator at HQ level – Bonn, Germany. The Director for Programs supports the South Sudan mission in the implementation of ongoing projects, in coordination with Help’s technical focal points and under the technical supervision of the HQ Program Coordinator, while contributing to regular engagement with local stakeholders and main donors in the country level.
Main Responsibilities & Tasks
The Director for Programs is responsible for the following duties:
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Play a key role in the development and definition of the Country Strategy of the mission under the supervision and coordination of the Country Director and HQ Program Coordinator.
- Take lead in the development of new concept notes and project proposals (design of the project rationale, log-frame, narrative, and budget in cooperation with technical focal points), under the supervision of the Country Director and in collaboration with the Program Coordinator.
- Supervise, coordinate, and provide quality support to Help’s technical focal points and Field Coordinator.
- Ensure quality implementation of Help’s country program in coordination with Help’s Technical focal points and Program Coordinator.
- Coordinate and supervise the timely and quality submission of donor reports with the support of the Country Director.
- Represent Help in relevant meetings.
Specific Responsibilities & Tasks:
Program implementation & supervision, quality control and reporting.
- Supervise and keep up to date work-plans and related financial plans of projects with the contribution of technical focal points and relevant team members, ensuring timely and quality implementation.
- Guarantee the application of Help’s procedures and donor rules for reporting and implementation, in collaboration with the Country Director and HQ Program Coordinator.
- With the support of the Country County Director, support in the management of budgets in line with donor and Help’s guidelines, supporting budget and program revisions/realignments when necessary.
- Provide guidance and support to technical focal points and Field Coordinators on work plans, budgets and spending, and monitoring of the implementation of activities and achievement of results.
- In coordination with the Country Director support and oversee the MEAL system within the program.
- In coordination with Country Director, ensure all reports are properly drafted, revised, and submitted on time to donors, Country Director, and HQ Program Coordinator
- Monitor the level of progress achieved by each project, including regular visits to project sites.
- Conduct regular field visits to provide support and supervision to technical focal points and other field staff.
Program Strategy & Project Design
- Support the Country Director in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the country’s strategy and programming, providing updated information, inputs, and recommendation for new and ongoing interventions in the country.
- Contribute to the design of Country Strategy for the mission, in line with Help’s Global Strategy and in consultation with all relevant technical focal points at both country and HQ levels.
- Lead the design and drafting of new project proposals in coordination with Technical Focal Points, Field Coordinators, Country Director, and Program Coordinator.
- Proactive creation of new project and program ideas that lead to the development of new contracts with existing and new donors
Representation & Coordination
- In coordination with the Country Director and Program Coordinator/HQ, establish and maintain collaborative relations with donors, project stakeholders, and other key actors working in the project areas.
- Together with either Country Director, Field Coordinator, or Helps Technical Focal Points, participate in meetings with various donors’ focal points at both national and field levels.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national and sub-national levels.
- Proactively lobby new donors for new project cooperation.
- Proactively connect with partners in order to create new ideas for projects
Human Resource Management
- In line with Help’s policies and in collaboration with the HR department, participate in the recruitment of the technical focal points and other program-related staff as requested.
- Be available to support and advise the technical focal points in their supervision of staff under their line management, as required and in coordination with the HR.
- Support the Country Director in ensuring that staff respect Help’s rules and regulations and adhere to Help’s Mission Values and Code of Ethics, in coordination with the HR and other relevant senior management members.
Required Profile and Experience
Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, International Relations, Humanitarian and International Cooperation or related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years experience in a similar level/position as an expat mainly focusing on programming elements with INGO/UN Agency or relevant private entity.
- Demonstrated experience in program strategy, design, and implementation.
- In-depth knowledge of donors’ requirements and proven experience in the management of funds from a variety of donors (preferably both humanitarian and development donors).
- Demonstrated experience in managing and working within large multicultural staff teams.
- Significant working experience at the management level in humanitarian assistance or development-oriented programs within an international environment, preferably in South Sudan.
- Experience in protracted conflict/post-conflict environments transitioning from humanitarian to durable solutions & stabilization contexts (highly desirable).
- Thorough knowledge of all the phases of PCM.
- Demonstrated experience in project proposal writing
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), including experience facilitating and encouraging effective team communication and team working spirit.
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and adaptability and flexibility in stressful environments
- Able to work in unstable, rapidly changing and insecure environment with basic living conditions.
- Ability to manage human, technical, administrative, and financial resources.
- Strong leadership, contextual & analytical skills combined with demonstrated organizational, management, and supervisory skills.
Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Arabic or German (basic) is an added advantage
- Diplomacy skills
- Ability to delegate and work in a team
- Flexibility & adaptability to a changing work environment
- Stress management skills: the ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads
- Self-driven/motivated and initiative-taking
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytical approach
Send your updated CV and a Cover Letter in English, detailing how you meet the responsibilities and requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “DIRECTOR FOR PROGRAMS” as the subject line. Submitting a Cover Letter accompanying the CV is the standard form of application. Qualified Female applicants are encouraged to apply. Deadline for Application: 21st of June, 2022
- Job City Juba