Job Title: Director of Business Development
Job Type: Full-Time
Organisation: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Office Location: Kenyatta Market, Nairobi, Kenya
Job Location: Kenya and International
Proposed Start Date: 01 March 2022
Closing Date: 31 January 2022
Kounkuey Design Initiative is seeking an exceptional individual to lead the development of proposals and projects, advocacy, and communications to support achieving justice in the built environment in Kenya. The person must have an activist spirit and a passion for using strong research, powerful narratives, and evidence-based communication to develop and bring in high-impact projects. This is a leadership role in a highly innovative, dynamic, and impactful organisation.
Job Description: The Director of Business Development will work closely with the Kenya Senior Management Team to develop and implement the Kenya office’s business development and communications operations. The candidate must be both a creative and strategic thinker, who will support the ongoing development and implementation of KDI’s communications and fundraising strategies through strong storytelling and thorough planning. The role will involve strategy development, content creation, grant research and writing, proposal development, among other responsibilities.The Director will also work hand-in-hand with the US-based Communications and Fundraising team to execute KDI’s communications and fundraising strategies globally. They will work closely with the Kenya Senior Principals, as well as various program staff. They will have regular interface with KDI’s global management team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Business Development and Strategic Planning
· Support implementation and evaluation of annual and multiyear fundraising strategies in collaboration with KDI global management and Kenya Senior Management Team.
· Manage and develop your own team for Business Development and Communications.
· Advise on donor priorities and identify specific opportunities.Identify pursue and successfully capitalize on funding opportunities among major funders of international developmen
· Specifc responsibilities include:
· Develop and implement current Strategic Plan for business development and communications elements in 2022 and 2023.
· Research, coordinate, and write government, private, corporate and international grant proposals and reports to support Kenya and international work in collaboration with program staff and Kenya Senior Management Team.
· Cultivate, grow, inform, and update Kenya-based donors in an efficient and timely manner through networking, strategic communications, events, individualised correspondence, donor database management, gift processing, and in-person meetings as needed.
· Support business development with KDI’s community partners for projects and programs as required.
· Produce and regularly update a comprehensive mapping of all donor opportunities- reports on business development and performance analysis.
· Track donor funding trends and priorities and actively identify new funding opportunities.
· Lead on developing and packaging proposals to suit the donor requirements in collaboration with the programme leads.
· Regular (weekly) coordination with US based business development team members.
· Other business development and fundraising duties as required.
Public Relations and Communications
· With your team, and program staff, compose compelling internal and external communications content tailored to diverse audiences while ensuring alignment with KDI tone and spirit.
· Develop advocacy and communication campaigns in line with KDI mission, themes, working groups, projects and programs.
· Support the continued refinement and implementation of internal and external communications strategy and manual.
· Specific responsibilities include:
· With your team, draft and edit content for digital communications (website, e-newsletter, email appeals, blog, and social media) for promotional, educational, fundraising, informational, and networking purposes to support and raise awareness of KDI’s work.
· Coordinate with project staff to develop and write social media content and interact with online audiences as required.
· With your team, develop promotional materials and project-related communications such as annual reports, press releases, flyers, posters, presentations and handouts for a range of internal (staff, board members) and external (donors, funders, media, partners) audiences.
· Support engagement and communications with KDI’s community partners for projects and programs as required.Support the development of presentations and other communications materials for Senior Management Team for dissemination of KDI model and impacts.
· Be an advocate for responsive design, research and community development in Kenya and further afield.
· Be available for regional and international travel as required.
· Other communications and public relations duties as required.
Project and Program Management and Delivery
· Facilitate seamless communication between KDI and community partners.
· Support collection of community-level impact data (qualitative and quantitative), photography and other materials for project evaluation, reporting, fundraising, and communications.
Human Resources Management
· Provide leadership for the Business Development and Communications team.
· Support and advocate your own capacity strengthening and that of your team within scope of Professional Development support.
· Responsible for submitting vacation, sick leave, preparing for evaluations.
Financial and Administration Management
· Provide input to overall project and office budgets together with Senior Management Team.
· Work in compliance with KDI financial procedures and the finance team and mentor line.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Advanced degree in development, planning, communications, public policy, or any relevant subject from an accredited college or university.
· 8+ years of professional experience in the non-profit, international development, design, planning, or research sectors.
· 5+ years of professional or academic writing experience; ability to compose, edit, and proofread range of written materials.
· Successful track record of securing multiple high value projects/contracts from government,bilateral/multilateral donors,trusts and foundations.
· Significant expertise in all areas of new business development including strategy,forging new partnerships,managing donor and partner relationships.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
· Swahili language skills are preferred.
· Development or social media experience.
· Excellent IT and graphics skills; experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
· Track record in high impact fundraising, development, and/or communications role.
· Excellent project management and planning skills. Able to prioritise and execute multiple projects within deadlines and in fast-paced environment, highly organised, self-motivated and independent.
· Big-picture strategic thinker with a proactive approach to problem solving.
· Outstanding written, verbal communication, marketing, and negotiation skills, able to adapt voice and messaging to a wide variety of audiences.
· Storyteller with ability to find and communicate compelling narratives while keeping an eye on detail.
· Willingness to work and communicate across multiple fields of interest, issues, cultures, and time zones.
· Personal qualities of integrity, hard work, and dedication to the mission of KDI
This is a tremendous opportunity for an established fundraising and communications leader who has relevant experience and passion for advocating for justice in the built environment in Kenya to be part of the leadership of a highly innovative, dynamic, and impactful organisation while advancing their professional capabilities.
How to apply
How to Apply: Interested candidates should obtain Job details from https://www.kounkuey.org/jobs
submit a) cover letter, b) CV, and c) writing sample or portfolio to the Senior Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of Monday 31st January 2022.
About KDI: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) is a non-profit design and community development organization. We partner with under-resourced communities to advance equity and activate the unrealized potential in their neighborhoods and cities. KDI works with community members to improve social, economic and physical conditions in diverse settings.
KDI has been recognised for our innovative bottom-up approach to development and design by diverse organisations including the World Bank Social Inclusion Group, UN-Habitat, the World Resources Institute, the Swiss Re Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation and many others.
KDI has been active in Kenya since 2006. Today the Kenya team is a 24 strong, multi-disciplinary team of professionals. Globally KDI has over 50 professionals and activists working on our shared mission.
KDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions at KDI are based on business needs, job requirements and merit, without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national, social or ethnic origin, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital, civil union or partnership status, citizenship status or other characteristics protected by national, state or local law.