About the Company
Our vision is an Africa with thriving communities, where young people and refugees are engaged, where communities have access to relevant innovations for self-determination, and where African solutions are unleashed to solve African problems. We work to achieve this by supporting micro and small businesses to gain skills and access to finance, and operate in integrated markets with inclusive economic policies so that communities will thrive.
Founded in 2012, Inkomoko has worked with more than 60,000 entrepreneurs across East Africa, primarily in refugee communities. To date, our clients have collectively generated more than $60M in new revenues and created more than 30,000 new jobs in their communities.
Today, Inkomoko has 300 staff in 20 offices across Rwanda, Kenya, and Ethiopia , and is expanding in 2023 into South Sudan. By 2030 we will be in 8 countries serving more than 550,000 entrepreneurs. To get there, we need to raise $400M USD in philanthropic and earned revenues.
All staff at Inkomoko are connected to a shared set of organizational values:
- Purpose: be solutions-oriented and produce high-quality work and be a global leader.
- Achievement: push yourself to reach beyond what you think is possible.
- Improvement: be humble and committed to continuous learning and growing through giving and receiving open and accurate feedback.
- Bravery: willing to take risks, create a safe space for others, be compassionate, inclusive.
- Turikumwe/Tuko Pamoja/ Abren Nen (“We are together”): appreciate your colleagues, celebrate success, and support each other in hard times.
Inkomoko reflects the communities we serve. Displaced persons and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Opportunity
The Director of Development position is new for Inkomoko. To date, fundraising activities have been led by Inkomoko’s CEO Founder with a 3-person development team.
We have done an incredible job of building a small group of committed foundation donors in our first 10 years. As we scale, we need to grow our donor-base and institutionalize our fundraising department. Currently, our annual operating budget is $13M, with rapid growth planned for the years ahead.
As a member of the Senior leadership team, the Director of Development will:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy to raise $70M USD in the next 5 years, in partnership with the leadership team and Board of Directors;
- Mentor and grow a team of development professionals to identify and cultivate relationships with potential donors, including foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individual donors; create and implement fundraising campaigns; and oversee the management of the organization’s donor management systems; and
- Coordinate with other internal departments, including finance, MEL, and Communications, to ensure that we are in compliance with donor expectations, and that we are promoting our impact to stakeholders in compelling ways.
Who we are looking for:
For this role, the successful candidate will have these qualities:
- Proven track record of meeting multi-million annual fundraising goals through a comprehensive and multi-pronged strategic fundraising plan
- Impeccable integrity and discretion when working with high-net worth individuals
- Deep relationships and understanding of the philanthropic and social enterprise sectors in Africa
- Personable, with confidence and integrity to engage donors to support our work
- Experience managing and developing a team, and overseeing department budgets
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to think strategically and develop effective fundraising strategies
- Proficiency with donor management systems
- Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years of related experience in fundraising.
What You’ll Get
This role is a tremendous opportunity to work in a high-growth, mission-driven organization. Our compensation includes both a great culture and a competitive market-based package, including:
- Incredible company culture, including deep investment in your learning and growth, and a commitment to inclusion and diversity
- Opportunity to work with a talented, passionate, and committed team of professionals across the region
- Ability to make a significant social impact and contribute to economic growth
- Competitive salary, and potential KPI-based bonus
- Favorable policies like health insurance, staff savings program, parental leave, sabbatical program, and more.
How to apply
If you’re excited about this role, please submit your cover letter and CV and salary expectations via www.inkomoko.com/careers
Tell us about what you’ll bring to this growing company.
As a company we have policies in place that promote diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Employment is conditional upon successful background checks and other verification as needed.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Fellows & Affiliates Officer at The African Academy of Sciences
- Finance and Administration Specialist at International Potato Center
- Driver at International Potato Center
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at International Potato Center
- Administrative Assistant III at International Potato Center