Duration: 1 year position, renewable
Location: Antananarivo, Madagascar
Starting date: July 2022
Pivot is an NGO collaborating with the Ministry of Public Health (MSANP) of Madagascar since 2014 to strengthen the public health system in order to provide quality care to the population of the district of Ifanadiana. We are building, in partnership with the Malagasy government, a health system model whose approach adapts and evolves according to its impact on the population. Our approach is based on the following actions at all levels of the health system – community, health center, district hospital: improving clinical care, strengthening system capacity, and scientific innovation. This model is aligned with the policies of the MSANP and aims to produce rapid, substantial and sustainable results for the population in terms of health and access to care, with a view to establishing Universal Health Coverage. Pivot is preparing for expansion to serve a larger population, which will require strengthening technical and financial partnerships.
For the implementation of its projects, Pivot seeks to recruit an innovative, optimistic leader who listens deeply to the stakeholders; who has experience in multilateral funding; and who accepts the challenge of growing the organization in an effective and efficient manner, for the position of Director of Engagement.
The Director of Engagement is a member of Pivot’s executive leadership team, reports to the National Director, leads the department that includes Development, Partnerships, and Communications (currently 4 people, with potential to expand), and collaborates closely with the US Pivot team (for development, administration, science). He/she will be responsible for the strategy and direction of the department, to enable Pivot to sustain its growth.
- Lead the organization’s development strategy;
- Identify potential new funding opportunities based on a clear understanding of the needs of the medical, operational and research teams and the organization’s annual and strategic plans;
- Research, identification, engagement, solicitation and stewardship of prospects and donors;
- Increase the annual budget each year (currently $7 million);
- Prepare the organization for obtaining multilateral grants;
- Support the development of grant applications and donor-related reports in collaboration with the grants manager and the medical team. This entails a lead role in grant writing and a full understanding of the funding ecosystem of existing and potential funding partners;
- Oversee grant management and work closely with medical and operational programs;
- Support grant reporting and liaise with medical, finance and M&E teams.
- Lead the organization’s partnership strategy;
- Responsible for all government relations and representations;
- Builds a portfolio of partnerships in Madagascar based on programmatic priorities;
- Support the identification of potential new partners (research, field visits, program linkages) in line with Pivot’s vision and mission;
- Support the management of relationships with existing and future external partners;
- Support the drafting and updating of Pivot MoUs;
- Oversee the management of all existing MoUs and collaborate across departments to support their proper implementation;
- Welcome other peer organizations and partners interested in seeing Pivot’s work;
- Oversee the planning and organization of donor visits and manage logistics related to specific events or campaigns with partners.
Communications and public relations:
- Lead the organization’s communications strategy;
- Provide administrative supervision to communications staff based in Madagascar;
- Advise the Madagascar-based communications manager regarding the prioritization of documentation of events and activities of the organization;
- Guide the establishment of media partnerships by communications staff;
- Reinforce awareness of Pivot’s activities and pursue opportunities for national/international coverage;
- Ensure the necessary visibility of Pivot activities at the central level of the Ministry of Public Health.
Travel and hosting:
- Regular trips to the districts where Pivot works;
- Travel between Tana, the region and the districts we serve for meetings and team building;
- Workshops and conferences when essential;
- Possibility of annual trip to the United States for the board meeting and fundraising;
- Help welcome board members, donors and partners visiting Madagascar.
- Have a doctoral degree in medicine or public health practitioner; and/or
- Preferably have a master’s degree;
- Have at least five years of professional experience in development and/or public health projects, especially have in-depth experience in project management and grants.
- Fluent in professional French and English languages, including reading, writing and conversation – knowledge of the Malagasy language is considered an added advantage.
- Have a team spirit, a sense of organization, an ease of integration in a multicultural environment and be competent in the Malagasy culture
- Demonstrate strong writing and editing skills with experience writing and producing grants reports.
- Ability to work within the context of Malagasy culture and norms in order to be able to mentor Malagasy and expatriate staff
- Extensive experience in project management and grants
- Have a humanitarian, flexible, visionary spirit
- Committed to government partnership
- Adhere to Pivot’s vision, mission and values
Documents to be provided:
- Cover letter addressed to the National Director of Pivot.
- Detailed CV including an email address and a telephone number for quick contact;
- Scanned copies (simple, uncertified copies) of diplomas and certificates;
- Scanned copy of the national identity card;
- Scanned copies (simple, uncertified copies) of certificates and/or work certificates justifying previous employment;
- Three professional reference persons (Name, Function, Mail and telephone number).
Interested persons are requested to send their application file consisting of the above-mentioned documents, by email to the address firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the subject “Recruitment Director of Engagement“, before June 19, 2022 at 00:00.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for tests and interviews.
Pivot offers stable jobs, very interesting salaries and working conditions, all in a fulfilling environment conducive to professional development.
Pivot’s recruitments are 100% free and the processes are based solely on the qualification of candidates in relation to the profiles sought. No monetary transactions, requests for favors or attempts at favoritism of any kind will be tolerated.
- Job City Antananarivo