Saint Andrew’s Refugee Services, Cairo
Vacancy Announcement: Director of Finance and Co-Director of Executive Leadership Team
Founded in 1979, StARS is a refugee service provider in central Cairo that works to enhance the quality of life for refugees and vulnerable migrants through five broad program areas: education, psychosocial, legal, community outreach and unaccompanied youth and children support services. We provide high-quality services meeting the unaddressed needs of refugees, and we provide a safe and inclusive space for displaced people to come together as a community. We work for refugees, with refugees, to make rights recognition a reality.
StARS’ Mission: Driven by a commitment to justice and fairness, StARS works as displaced people and for displaced people to respect human dignity and enhance quality of life.
StARS’ Vision: Displaced people lead in the creation and implementation of responses to different forms of migration to establish safe, just, welcoming, and inclusive communities globally.
We serve people from many places, including Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
To learn more please visit our website: www.stars-egypt.org or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/standrewsrefugeeservices?fref=ts
The Director of Finance Department is a central role in the Executive Leadership Team, working within the team of the Directors to oversee the effective management and the daily running of StARS and responsible for general support to its programs and staff.
The Director of Finance Department oversees all aspects of StARS finance, including financial planning and, donor relations, funding, and reporting. The Director of Finance Department is also responsible for the development and implementation of StARS financial systems, financial program reporting and provide advice to programs on their financial systems. The Director of Finance Department will ensure that appropriate finance systems are maintained, that all procedures and controls are implemented and that all transactions are properly accounted for.
All duties are carried out in collaboration with StARS Directors, as part of the Executive Leadership Team of StARS. The Executive Leadership Team operates a model of peer supervision. An excellent collaborative working relationship with StARS Directors is essential to the success of this role. StARS’ Director of Finance Department performs a wide range of duties including the following:
- To manage the monthly operational budget with the Executive Leadership Team Finance Sub-Committee and the external Accountant.
- To prepare accurate and timely financial reports, budget amendments and other financial documents as requested by the project leads and the Executive Leadership Team.
- To monitor and maintain strong financial records and procedures as per StARS Financial Management Guidelines, and ensure proper financial documentation of all activities.
- To assist in the preparation of budgets and reports.
- To manage audit undertaken and implementation of audit recommendations.
- To provide support to the Executive Leadership Team members and other departments in financial matters and work closely with them to ensure that financial information is accurate and up to date.
- To manage the financial cashflow and the relationship with the banks.
Administration and Financial management
- To monitor actual expenditure versus budgets.
- To continue to develop improvements in the future systems and financial controls.
- To promote good team work and cooperation between finance and programs.
- To provide support to programs in all financial matters.
- To ensure program staffs are trained in relevant aspects of financial managements.
- To devise, set, and report on departmental budgets.
- In cooperation with the Director of Programs Department, Director of Development, and other directors as relevant, the Director of Finance Department develops annual budgets and operating plans for all StARS’ programs
Staffing and human resources
- To provide supervision, support, and line management to the Finance Department staff.
- To take an active role in making decisions as a member of the Executive Leadership Team Human Resources Sub-Committee.
- To implement disciplinary measures as appropriate and when needed and participate in or oversee internal investigations as required.
- To continue development and implementation of StARS’ human resources policies, procedures, and practices in particular when it comes to a staff database.
- To oversee the implementation of StARS’ performance management process for all program staff and to ensure that all program staff receive an appropriate orientation to StARS and our programs.
- In consultation with the StARS Executive Leadership Team, recruit, interview, and select senior staff.
- To ensure necessary staffing is in place for effective implementation of projects.
- To oversee the updating and improvement of StARS’ existing Staff Handbook, and other HR documents in close collaboration with the Executive Leadership Team.
- To ensure all staff members receive appropriate training and professional development.
- To advocate with service providers, partners, Community-based Organizations and UNHCR, other UN agencies, INGOs, and local organizations regarding the service delivery for displaced communities.
- To monitor policies and external developments affecting refugees in Egypt, paying special attention to particularly vulnerable or marginalized groups.
- To advocate, particularly with UNHCR, on issues relating to refugees, migrants, Community-based Organizations and displaced communities.
- To meet weekly with the Executive Leadership Team.
- To be an active member of the Executive Leadership Team and to provide all necessary support to other Program Directors and to StARS
- To revise the strategy of StARS departments in response to changing situations and participate in annual work planning and strategic planning.
- To assist in planning and delivery of the StARS’ core programs and the activities of each in accordance with StARS’ mission, strategic plan, and donor requirements
- To undergo regular performance appraisals.
- Minimum of 3 years of related work experience in non-profit accounting/finance with a strong working knowledge of nonprofit accounting/finance.
- Strong management and organizational skills required, including familiarity with financial and HR management systems.
- Fluent in Arabic and English Languages.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong analytical computer skills.
- Familiarity with government and private funding and contractual requirements preferred.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support StARS’ Mission and Vision as a StARS staff member required.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting; CPA a plus
Working Hours: The Director of Finance Department is a member of the StARS Executive Leadership Team is expected to be at work for 40 hours per week, between the hours of 9am and 5pm, from Sunday to Thursday. Longer hours, evening and weekend work are sometimes necessary. Work will be conducted both in StARS premises and also in refugee communities and centers.
Advised by: The Director of Finance Department is a member of the StARS Executive Leadership Team (ELT). The Executive Leadership Team is advised by StARS Advisory Board.
Salary: 30,000 EGP/month, rising to 33,000 EGP/month following successful completion three-month probationary period. Plus 4,020 EGP/year Health Coverage and 100 EGP/month Saving Scheme Contribution upon completion of probationary period.
Additional official benefits as stipulated in StARS Staff Handbook Guidelines.
Notice period: With 120 days written notice.
This position is subject to a three-month probationary period, at which time the employee’s performance will be reviewed and probation may be extended.
Closing date for applications: 25 August 2022 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews may be scheduled prior to closing date).
Anticipated Starting date: 18 September 2022.
How to apply
To apply: Please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Using the subject line “Director of Finance Department is a member of the StARS Executive Leadership Team”. All applications should provide contact information of two professional/academic references (referees will only be contacted after interviews).
***Note:***Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- PROGRAM & CONSORTIUM MANAGER (H/F) at Solidarités International
- Gender Advisor at World University Service of Canada (WUSC – EUMC)
- Capo Progetto at Associazione Volontari per il Servizio Internazionale
- Child Protection Project Manager at Associazione Volontari per il Servizio Internazionale
- Energy Program Coordinator at Associazione Volontari per il Servizio Internazionale