Position: Director of Finance and Operations
Chemonics seeks a Director of Finance and Operations for the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project in Monrovia, Liberia. The Director of Finance and Operations will play a lead role in the implementation of comprehensive management policies and procedures for the project, procurement, and administrative staff members, and providing oversight of all operational activities of the GHSC-PSM Liberia project. The Director of Finance and Operations will lead implementation of improved Field Office systems and practices in collaboration with the Country Director and Liberia Project Management Unit (PMU).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and Administrative Management
- Provide advanced oversight and monitoring of all accounting and financial transactions performed by other finance manager and officer
- Provide oversight for finance team to review and manage account procedures, accounting controls, and ensure full monthly reconciliation between field office accounting systems and bank statements; ensure proper reconciliation of accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank accounts, and petty cash
- Review per diem expense reports for compliance with Chemonics and USAID rules and regulations
- Interface with Chemonics’ home office Project Management Unit (PMU), and the Finance and Accounting Support Team (FAST) regarding monthly local reviews and source documentation requests. Provide information and documentation as requested
- Ensure that all finance and administrative staff have access to and a working knowledge of USAID rules and regulations and PSM policies
- Oversee the work of the PSM operations team, including oversight of project procurement, logistics for distribution of commodities, office maintenance (procurement and use of supplies, equipment and services), and project vehicle use, ensuring compliance with financial guidelines and policy
- Coordinate project procurements, in full compliance with all applicable USAID rules and regulations and Chemonics’ internal policies and procedures including but not limited to:
- Ensuring and documenting competition among vendors
- Ensuring payments are made in a timely manner
- Assisting in drafting subcontracts as necessary
- Oversee local finances, including the management of all procurement and contract/subcontract administration activities assuring compliance with the prime contract, corporate policies, and procedures
- Monitor project-wide spending against funding ceilings
- Support technical implementation through timely reviews and effective management of subcontracts and leases
- Work with technical and operational staff to oversee project’s system for filing and archiving of all relevant finance, administrative, technical, contractual and personnel documentation
- Maintain a good knowledge and understanding of all office rules and procedures as set forth in the field office policy manual
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Country Director
Human Resource Management
- Provide supervision, assistance, and capacity building to other members of the operations team
- Oversee project human resources needs including the delivery of staff trainings and needs assessments, personnel recruitment, hiring and onboarding, and personnel management
- Responsible for maintaining, reviewing, and improving personnel policies, procedures, and benefits
- Maintain personnel records for local staff, including review of long-term and short-term local employment contracts, timely and efficient conduct of annual performance evaluations, and staff compliance with local employee handbook and local labor laws
- Support project staffing requirements to ensure appropriate coverage and job satisfaction
Inventory and Logistics
- Oversee all aspects of project-sponsored conferences, trainings and events
- Oversee travel arrangements and ensure they are in accordance with USAID and corporate travel requirements
- Ensure management of project assets including inventory, vehicles and files
- Oversee disposition of project expendable and non-expendable property
- Maintain adequate project property, equipment and resources to fulfill the needs of project personnel
- Ensure that all equipment is used in accordance with program and U.S. Government guidelines
- Manage 3PL indefinite quantity subcontracts for the distribution of health commodities including the drafting and issuing of task orders and negotiations memos, as well as ensuring that all proofs of delivery are received and properly filed
- Liaise with the 3PL to ensure the resolution of issues during distribution
- Manage the re-competition of 3PL IQS’
- Ensure compliance with U.S. government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate policies, laws of Liberia, and any supplemental policies developed specifically for GHSC-PSM, including promoting staff awareness of all applicable guidelines, policies and expectations
- Establish standards and procedures to ensure that the project systems are effective and efficient in preventing, detecting, and correcting noncompliance with applicable rules and regulations
- Ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures and internal controls (e.g. Field Office Guide to Field Accounting and Compliance, Field Office Procurement Handbook, CCN Policy Manual, Global QMS, etc.), and make recommendations on strengthening these policies and procedures
- Lead the closeout phase from the project field office end in coordination with the PMU and actively participate in the development of the project closeout plan for USAID’s approval
- Monitor disposition of inventory and equipment, departure of project staff, termination of relationships with ongoing vendors, and financial closeout
- Responsible for the organization of project files and shipment of thar copy documents from Liberia to the United States for archiving following Chemonics Records Policy.
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, business administration, public administration, or another relevant field (Master’s degree preferred);
- At least seven (7) years of experience working on USAID projects, preferably with responsibilities in procurement, subcontracts, and operations;
- Familiarity with Chemonics’ systems and processes is preferred;
- Demonstrated success in managing programs of similar magnitude and complexity, working collaboratively with various teams, and communicating effectively;
- Strong leadership, mentorship, management, planning, analytical and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail;
- Willingness to relocate to Monrovia, Liberia for a minimum of approximately one year (November 2023- November 2024).
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Fluency in English is required;
Location of Assignment
This position is based in Monrovia, Liberia with the possibility of intermittent travel throughout the program’s target regions as needed.
The Operations and Finance Director will report directly to the Country Director or his/her designee.
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Director of Operations and Finance” in the subject line to email@example.com by July 15, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Agronomy Assistant at Finpact Development Foundation (FINDEF) – Sokoto and Zamfara
- Safety and Security Officer at Finpact Development Foundation (FINDEF)
- Procurement Supervisor at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Spain
- EOI – Senior Private Sector Investment Consultant in Healthcare Sector (AHHD) at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
- EOI – Recruitment of IT Operations and Analytics Tool (ITOA) Consultant – TCIS at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)