Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
The overall goal of the upcoming Strengthening Accountability in Ghana’s Education Systems activity is to strengthen the accountability of the Ministry of Education (MoE) and its agencies and School Management Committees (SMCs) for improved education services and outcomes, using a behavioral science approach.
The Director of Finance is responsible for compliance with USAID and EDC policy and the overall financial administration of the project, including: administration of project operations, forecasting and tracking field office expenditures, overseeing daily financial management and human resources. Additionally, the Director of Finance will oversee administrative and procurement staff. Responsibilities include:
- Direct and support the Finance, Administration, Operations and Procurement staff to manage all financial and operational issues of the project, to improve procedures, increase efficiency and provide the means to accomplish project goals;
- Monitor project spending, including quarterly analysis to identify over or under spending, bring any issues to the attention of the Chief of Party for action;
- Serve as a liaison with EDC Home Office Accounting to facilitate financial management processes including: contributing to preparation of cost to complete projections, providing guidance and oversight on project financial management, and participating as appropriate, in resolution of financial issues; and
- Ensure compliance and adherence to donor regulations and procedures including maintenance of internal controls, accountability of EDC resources for all financial and operational issues.
- Mentor local personnel to develop capacity of staff, including provision of regular feedback and training;
- Ensure that finance and operations staff work smoothly with technical teams to accomplish project goals in a manner consistent with policies and procedures; models collaboration with technical leaders; and
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to support donor, partner and stakeholder needs.
Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply.
The candidate for the position of Director of Finance shall have at a minimum the following qualifications: Education:
Master’s degree (or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent professional experience) in business, accounting, finance, international development or other related field.
Skills and Experience:
- At least eight years of experience (10 years with Bachelor’s degree) with increasing responsibility in accounting and/or financial management, including the management and oversight of multimillion-dollar, USAID-funded project budgets and financial reporting;
- Extensive knowledge of and financial management experience with USAID funded-programs;
- Experience managing multi-office projects highly desired;
- Previous financial management experience on development projects with significant procurement components is preferred;
- Demonstrated and detailed understanding of financial management and accounting principles;
- Proven ability to manage a team and corresponding workflow; and
- Prior work experience in Ghana preferred.
Fluency in English is required.