Position Description: We are looking for a Director of Policy and Public Relations to join our team. The Director of Policy and Public Relations is a new role within Nadia’s Initiative (NI), founded by 2018 Nobel Peace Laureate Nadia Murad, who is now President of the Board of Directors. The Director of Policy and Public Relations will join a small, hard-working and close-knit group of team members committed to the mission of NI. The Director of Policy and Public Relations will work closely with NI’s team to craft NI’s communications with governments and international bodies in support of survivors and communities in crisis, as well as the public. The Director of Policy and Public Relations will serve as a subject matter expert for NI and support the advocacy efforts of the President and Executive Director. This is a position best suited for a stellar writer and self-starter who is passionate about women’s rights, international development, and the importance of rebuilding communities in crisis and advocating for survivors of sexual violence.
● Location: based within the European Union
● Position: Full-time contractor job, 40+ hours/week
● Supervisor: Executive Director
● Start date: June 2022
● Work with Executive Director and President on policy and advocacy matters, including preparing NI’s leadership to make the most of engagement opportunities with officials and the public.
● Write and edit public-facing content, including comment letters, press releases, speeches, talking points, briefing papers, slide presentations, policy summaries, and other materials, in coordination with team.
● Track and analyze developments related to NI priorities; have knowledge of major players in the field.
● Represent NI to officials as requested by leadership, including responding to information requests or requests for comments on behalf of NI.
● Coordinate with media.
● Management of the Policy and Legal Affairs Associate.
● Bachelor’s degree or greater, preferably with a background in issue-based advocacy.
● Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
● Incredible English language writer, with the ability to tailor pieces to various audiences.
● Skill and willingness to speak eloquently publicly on behalf of NI.
● High level of discretion and experience with leadership support.
● Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines.
● Understanding of and experience in international development, genocide prevention, and/or women’s rights is required.
How to apply
How to apply:
● Send a personalized cover letter, professional writing sample, and resume/CV to Alison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Cover letter should address the following prompts:
○ Describe your experience with intersection of policy, issue-based advocacy, and communications work.
○ Describe what attracts you to NI’s work.
○ Describe your work style and communication style within a team.
○ What is your primary location?