To deliver on our commitment to build stronger strategic partnerships with actors in the Global South in Africa and Asia and to build a culture of shared global and decentralised leadership, Simavi is seeking to recruit a Director of Programmes from Asia or Africa. For this position the role will be based in one of the countries where Simavi works. These include Bangladesh, Uganda, Kenya and Nepal.
Simavi is a (small /medium sized) Netherlands based international NGO working in the specialist areas of human rights to water and sanitation, gender equality and climate justice. Our objective is that every woman and girl in a climate vulnerable context overcomes barriers to claim her rights to water and sanitation and is able to enjoy these rights.
We put women and girls at the center of our work and we collaborate with partner organisations world-wide to create impact through our programmes and advocacy and campaigns. We currently work in 10 countries in Africa and Asia. We are committed to ‘’shift power’’ towards shared global leadership and we work in an agile and networked manner which gives everyone the space and responsibility to contribute to our goals. Our five core values lie at the basis of everything we do: just, sustainable, empowering, inspiring, connecting.
Purpose of the job
The Director of Programmes is a critical and leading role in Simavi’s team whereby the postholder will provide overall leadership to Simavi’s programmes ensuring these are impactful, relevant and delivered in an accountable and timely manner and are aligned to Simavi’s Strategic Plan 2022 – 2025. In addition, the Director of Programmes will also help Simavi grow and evolve its programmes ensuring Simavi innovates and is relevant in a fast changing world.
Position in the organisation
The Programme Director is accountable to the Managing Director. Working within an agile work set up, the postholder belongs to the senior leadership team. As the cluster lead for programs the post holder will work closely with other cluster leads (partnership development, fundraising & external engagement and finance & operations and human resources) to ensure Simavi delivers on its strategic and operational ambition.
The Programme Director is accountable to and coached by the Managing Director and in turn coaches senior staff including the Circle Lead for Program Quality (MEL), Program Managers, Senior programme officers and the Program Assistant and Financial Support Officer.
- Concept developer, thematic and country knowledge expert: Provide quality leadership for the planning, design and quality delivery of national and community-based programs aligned to Simavi’s key focus areas, in countries in Africa and Asia in collaboration with Simavi’s partners.
- Programme Management: Provide oversight and leadership to a programme team of professionals based in the Netherlands and in Africa and Asia and represent Simavi on programme steering committees within consortium partner arrangements.
- Opportunity Scout: Lead in Africa and Asia on Simavi’ s fundraising and partnership development and influencing, campaigns and external engagement work
- Partnership architect: Expand Simavi’s strategic partnership relationships with external actors, including but not limited to institutional donors, national governments, policy makers and peer networks
- Cluster lead and Coach: Identify and recruit “strong talent”, counsel and encourage with daily work, career job challenges, and provide performance assessments
- Strategist: identify strategic opportunities to expand the programme portfolio, increase Simavi’s visibility and credibility and advance our mission and vision in a changing world.
What you bring
- Academic level of education
- A minimum of 5 years of senior programme management experience in a comparable position in developing countries in Africa and/or Asia, ideally in Simavi’s area of work.
- Strategic programme and organizational thinking, framing and application.
- Strong programme strategy, fundraising and partnership development experience
- Good substantive knowledge of development cooperation in general, and specifically in Water and Sanitation + and Climate Justice.
- Affinity and experience with Simavi’s ‘Shift the Power’ ambition (seeking to be globally balanced in vision and practice).
- Broad network across a variety of stakeholders and actors, especially in Africa and Asia
- Experience in managing hybrid teams (including remote management) and working globally multi-cultural contexts is a pre
- Specific Knowledge and Experience :
- Excellent verbal, reading and writing skills in English.
- Forward thinking and innovative
- Affinity with feminist leadership and agile and networked ways of working
What do we offer?
An exciting and challenging position in an international working environment, in an ambitious organisation. We offer a fun and healthy working environment, we are an equal opportunity employer meaning we don’t discriminate in our hiring practices and we actively seek a diverse applicant pool.
As the selected candidate will be based outside of the Netherlands, we offer a consultancy contract for 12 months for 40 hours per week with possible extension. The fee we offer depends on the years of relevant working experience you bring along and will be aligned to country specific benchmark. We also provide a company laptop, and cover the costs of international travels.
Our office in the Netherlands is located in Amsterdam. We also have offices in Nepal, Bangladesh, Uganda and Kenya.
How to apply
Do you recognise yourself in the profile and do you want to contribute to Simavi’s mission and vision? Please upload your motivation letter and resume (in English, max. 4 pages) before 20 of November via the application button.
Please note that we will assess the candidacies as they come in.
Procedure The recruitment process will consist of 2 interviews, a meeting with a staff panel, a financial assignment, a reference check and a certificate of good conduct.
Do you have questions about this position? Please contact Camille Grasset, HR manager, via Camille.email@example.com
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Administrative Assistant at Wellcome Trust
- Deputy Country Director – Mali at Plan International
- Information Manager – Nigeria at International NGO Safety Organisation
- Consultant at World Health Organization (WHO)
- Senior Policy Adviser – ECSA and WARO at Sightsavers