Department: Product and Technology
Location: Remote, preferably GMT time zone or close
Report to: Chief Technology Officer
Language: The tech team works in English. French proficiency is not required.
myAgro helps farmers move out of poverty: we do this with a simple approach. We help farmers manage their cash flow better – at harvest time when farmers have more cash, they can lock away their funds for seeds and fertilizer for the next season. They pay using their mobile phone (or mobile money in Tanzania) and myAgro delivers the inputs they’ve paid for before it rains and provides technical training so farmers know how to use the inputs efficiently. This leads to 50% more food and 50% more income per farm. To date myAgro serves 115,000 farmers and will scale to 1 million farmers by 2026. The award-winning team has received recognition from Skoll Foundation, Echoing Green, World Bank, Bill Gates and more.
About the Role
You will help accelerate myAgro’s ability to scale, reach 100% sustainability and increase its impact. You will manage the strategic aspects of the engineering team, driving the delivery of products for our programs, and defining and creating changes to products for our internal customers. You will focus on new product and feature introduction, managing the related projects, and defining and iterating on the process to create an impactful platform for our end-users. You will also manage a growing software engineering team to achieve the goals of the role.
The current product suite includes farmer-facing tools, tools for village field workers, and office and cloud infrastructure that enables myAgro to work. The tech includes custom mobile and web applications, Salesforce CRM, SMS and WhatsApp communication, partnerships and integrations with telecoms, cloud-based systems, and reporting using a data warehouse and Tableau.
- Create team structure and processes so the team can work together to meet the needs of customers
- Mentor your team to develop skills so they are ready to grow with us
- Work with the product management team to understand roadmap, make sure new roadmap items are well defined, and there is a healthy pipeline for the engineering team
- Lead project planning of technical development from design through release
- Decide and document the project scope, goals, deliverables for software projects
- Track project deliverables using appropriate tools
- Conduct project evaluations and report results
- Provide operating reviews and other regular written and verbal updates on progress of work to team members in the organization
Skills and Qualifications
- B.S. in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Minimum 5 years work experience, especially in technical / engineering leadership roles
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools
- A calm and patient attitude to listen to the problems, perform research in that direction to come up with solutions for the problems.
- Previous cross-cultural experience for a period of 6 months or more, or some experience working in ICT4D context would be great.
- A passion for the mission, vision and values of myAgro
- Health insurance
- Generous PTO policy
- Retirement plan contributions
- Professional development and laptop stipends
- Flight benefit
- The opportunity to make a difference for farmers everyday!
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.