For more than a decade, Forcier Consulting has served as the premier resource for high quality research in the world’s most challenging environments. We provide locally-based research, evaluation, and learning services to international donors, UN agencies, and NGOs reflecting the nuances and complexities of humanitarian and development work. We have performed more than 790 contracts in 41 countries, setting the standard for excellence in consulting in non-permissive environments.
Forcier is recruiting a Disability Expert to support a research project across Benin, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Mozambique and Rwanda.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Disability specialist will be responsible for their in-depth contextual understanding, technical and practical expertise, and relationship building skills to define and deliver our strategic ambition for disability inclusion on the project. This role includes a focus on external representation on priority issues including disability rights, inclusive child participation and monitoring of rights, disability data, meaningful participation of persons with disabilities in humanitarian action, disability inclusive health, The Disability Specialist is expected to:
- Provide technical advice on how to mainstream disability issues within existing and future projects, in particular in the area of human rights, rule of law, access to justice, citizen participation, youth engagement and gender
- Develop systems and indicators to monitor the availability, utilisation, and quality of mental health services, in collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team.
- Advise on best practices and innovative approaches to improve availability, utilisation, and quality of mental health services.
- Develop tools including job aids, information and education communication materials, handbooks for the IPs to support in implementing mental health and disability interventions.
- Conduct field visits to the counties to provide technical support to the disability and social inclusion interventions on the ground.
- Work with the M&E team to develop/review/update mental health & disability indicators.
- Skilled at networking, representation and partnership development in order to promote learning, strengthen civil society and mobilise resources. Proven engagement and partnership with organisations of persons with disabilities (OPDs) and other disability stakeholders.
- Able to generate and use data and evidence to innovate, deliver, learn and share what works and what doesn’t work for children with disabilities, especially disability disaggregated data
Forcier is dedicated to building the capacity of researcher and as part of this role you will have the opportunity to work alongside specialists and receive training that will enhance your skills in research, monitoring & evaluation, and project management. This position will require travel to field locations up to 100% of the time of the contract.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences or humanities
- 5 years of experience working on disability in the humanitarian, peacebuilding or development sectors
- Experience of working with organisations of persons with disabilities (OPDs) and good relationship and wide network with disability experts and OPDs across Africa
- Experience mainstreaming disability in programs in at least 3 of these countries: Benin, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Mozambique and Rwanda.
- Experience of working directly with children with different types of disabilities and their families.
- Experience of designing and facilitating capacity building trainings on disability rights and inclusive programming
- Strong understanding of the Disability Rights sector, policy priorities and the situation for adults and children with disabilities in both humanitarian and development contexts
- Demonstrated understanding of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), Disability Inclusive Programming, The IASC Guidelines on Inclusion of persons with disabilities in humanitarian action, Disability Disaggregated data and MEAL, Universal Accessible Construction standards
- Fluent in English and French
- Strong written and oral communication skills, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment and effective in representation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and G Suite applications
Forcier isn’t the place for everyone. But for those who do find us to be a good fit, they can’t imagine being anywhere else. Our company operates with five immutable laws. If these don’t resonate with you, working with us probably won’t be a good fit for you. If they speak to you, you’ll find a new home with us.
- Be nice or leave. All our staff deserve to be treated professionally and with respect. Discrimination, racism, tribalism, sexism, and neo-colonialist language will not be tolerated. This applies to our clients as well.
- This is a stress free zone. The places where we work are stressful enough, we don’t need to add extra pressure. Increasing stress increases the likelihood of errors. We all work to minimize stress together.
- We embrace a strong work ethic and a strong rest ethic. We believe that balance is critical to long-term success. We all work together to avoid burnout on our teams and ensure that team members have the opportunity to frequently and regularly take complete time off. We recognize the needs for every team member may be unique depending on their individual circumstances.
- Safety first. We never put staff or partners in harm’s way for any reason, and we do not ask staff to go places or complete work with which they do not feel personally comfortable – for any reason.
- Quality is paramount. We stand behind the integrity of our work. We don’t cut corners and we deliver the absolute best product possible every single time, both internally and externally.
Forcier aims to be an employer of choice across Africa. As a result, we offer competitive daily rates, as well as on the job training opportunities, to attract the best talent available.
Please note that we are recruiting Disability Specialists on a contract basis. We will be evaluating all candidates who apply on a rolling basis and may keep your application on file for opportunities in the near future if a perfect fit is not available now.
How to apply
Please submit both a cover letter and a CV on Forcier’s career page.