Hours: Regular Full-time; Not Eligible for Overtime
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
Grade: Ghana- Grade K
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Guided by a strong vision of equitable and resilient systems that respond to people’s needs and emerging threats, URC helps countries and local actors to build, implement, and sustain science-driven, scalable solutions. Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical expertise to empower governments, communities, and service providers toward strengthening their own health and social systems and improve service quality. We aim to expand access to and improve the quality of services, addressing maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health; global health security and infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; nutrition and water, sanitation, and hygiene. In our interactions with each other and our clients, we stay true to our values for transformative change by focusing on:
- Creativity: by unleashing our creativity, we enhance engagement and interaction to improve problem-solving.
- Collaboration: not only our work towards the same vision and mission instill staff with a strong sense of purpose, but also enables us to complement each other’s skills and allocate work to maximize everyone’s strengths.
- Accountability: we hold ourselves responsible for accomplishing goals, completing assignments, and making decisions.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion: we embrace the importance of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, where our leadership and staff model behavior that enriches our organization, demonstrates respect for all people, and supports opportunities for all staff.
- Transparency: we understand that when employees deeply trust one another and their leaders, they will be more engaged in their roles because they will not be worried about unfair treatment.
URC is searching for an experienced driver for the USAID Quality Services for Health (Q4H) Activity in Ghana. The purpose of the Activity is to strengthen the institutional capacity of the Government of Ghana (GoG) to promote and oversee improved quality health services in the public and private health sectors. This four-year activity supports the GoG and stakeholders, including both recipients (or civil society) and providers of services, to sustainably improve the quality of health service delivery to improve health outcomes in Ghana.
The driver will perform the operations, maintenance, and management of project vehicles, including routine maintenance, as well as providing transportation for project activities for all staff.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Drive project personnel and equipment to locations in Ghana for project activities.
- Maintain timely schedule set by program staff.
- Maintain project vehicles, keep accurate records for vehicle issues, including fuel, mileage, and trip logs, and schedule routine maintenance and cleaning.
- Observe all URC vehicle utilization policies and in-country traffic laws.
- Perform daily errands such as collecting and delivering mail, making bank deposits and withdrawals, purchasing items for the office, and refueling the vehicles on an as-needed basis.
- Ensure the vehicle is in good mechanical condition and is prepared for long trips on rough terrain prior to field visits.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the vehicle both inside and out. Ensure that the first aid kit is in place and stocked at all times.
- Assist in routine office chores when necessary such as photocopying, binding, filing, moving furniture, answering telephones, sending faxes, and cleaning the office premises.
- Carry out routine monthly service of the vehicle, including oil changes and general service.
- Complete the vehicle logbook on a daily basis, recording all travel and requiring staff transported to sign, and submit to the DFO for review and approval on a weekly basis.
Additional and other responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Other tasks consistent with the nature of this position.
- As needed, attend, and represent the organization in various events, seminars, and functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Completion of Secondary School is highly desirable
- Excellent driving record and experience in traveling throughout Ghana
- Previous work experience on a USAID or other development project is desirable.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Valid Ghanian Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Certificate on mechanics and defensive driving.
- At least 3 years’ prior experience in professional driving with international organizations.
This job is open to candidates legally authorized to work in Ghana.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unless otherwise directed we will retain your CV in our database for future opportunities.