The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is an international organization with the mandate to assist persons in need of international protection; asylum seekers; refugees; statelessness; and internally displaced persons. The UNHCR operation in Mozambique has its main office in Maputo, field offices in Nampula and sub-office in Pemba. The working language in the UNHCR offices in Mozambique is English.
The Driver in the UNHCR Office is supervised directly by the Assistant Admin Officer in Maputo, Mozambique. Besides driving, the incumbent is responsible for up keep and maintenance of the assigned UNHCR vehicle(s) as per technical guidance and specifications established by the Organisation. S/he is required to follow strict instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor. While the basic function of a driver is to drive the official vehicles of UNHCR, s/he may be called upon to perform minor maintenance and repair of UNHCR vehicles.
The driver will also be called to perform some administrative and courier work such as collect quotations and invoices from suppliers, collect goods from the supplier, delivery and receive pouch’s from a local courier when needed.
The Driver has regular contacts with staff within the UNHCR Office and with others (including Partners, government authorities, etc.) outside UNHCR involving a limited exchange of information.
Previous relevant professional experience within the United Nations system would be desirable. Professional driving license is essential.
Please also note that recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
- Drive UNHCR vehicles for the transport of authorized passengers, deliver, and collect documents and other items.
- Meet official personnel at airports or other locations and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Perform day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles; check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc. and ensure that the assigned UNHCR vehicles are road or waterway worthy and maintained up to the established security standards.
- Perform minor repairs, arrange for other repairs, and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations, or other local procedures, are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Ensure that instructions and security guidance provided by the supervisor and security focal point are strictly followed.
- Ensures valid documentation for passengers, items or cargo in vehicle.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level:**
For G2D – 2 years relevant experience with Completion of Primary Education or High School Diploma or higher
Field(s) of Education**
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Relevant Job Experience:
Driving licence, knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
* DV-Driving Rules and Regulations;
DV-Basic Vehicle Mechanical Skills;
Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing
How to apply
Interested staff members should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS, UNHCR/AI/2020/1/Rev.2). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
In line with the RALS, the below category of candidates are eligible to apply for internally/externally advertised vacancies.
Group 1 candidates: Group 1 comprises current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment who, at the date of the deadline for application, are serving in the country of the vacancy at the grade of the position or one grade below or above. However, current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in the country of the vacancy who apply for a position two grades above the personal grade will be considered as Group 2 applicants.
Group 2 candidates: Group 2 comprises candidates from the below categories after completion of one cumulative or continuous year of service in the country of the vacancy.
I. Current locally recruited UNHCR staff members holding a temporary appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions;
II. Former locally recruited UNHCR staff members who held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment (within 2 years of separation for males and 5 years for females) up to a maximum of two grades above the last position at UNHCR;
III. National United Nations Volunteers currently working for UNHCR;
IV. National UNOPS and individual contractors currently working for UNHCR;
V. Current GS staff members holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a position in the same category two grades above the staff member’s personal grade;
VI. Current UNHCR staff members in the International Professional category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post;
VII. Current UNHCR staff members in the NPO category holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment applying to a GS post;
VIII. Current locally recruited female staff members from other UN system Organizations holding the equivalent of an indefinite or fixed-term appointment up to a maximum of two grades above their current positions.
External candidates: External candidates are candidates who are not in Group 1 or Group 2. They must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position, candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
Submission of applications:
▪ Interested Group 1 and Group 2 candidates need to apply through MSRP Self-Service – Recruiting Activities – Careers (please search by JO number or by Location). Please update your personal profiles with all required information in order to be able to apply. Please consult the attached documents for further guidance on how to update the personal profile.
▪ Interested external applicants need to apply online via the MSRP External Portal and complete the mandatory motivation letter. For help with logging in to the MSRP External Portal, or with online applications, please contact the HR Unit well before the deadline to allow sufficient time for any technical problem to be resolved. External vacancies are posted on the external UNHCR website and applicants who do not have internal status must apply through the external UNHCR website. – Careers – Career opportunities – Other Opportunities – Vacancies – sort by Location or search by Job Opening number
▪ Applications will be accepted only via the online portals. Please do not send application via email.
▪ Not signed, incomplete and late applications will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
▪ The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted during the application. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
▪ UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants to apply. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms gender, disability, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
▪ UNHCR has a zero-tolerance policy against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). SEA is unacceptable behaviour and prohibited conduct for UNHCR personnel. It constitutes acts of serious misconduct and is therefore grounds for disciplinary measures, including dismissal. Any concerns or suspicions about a possible case of SEA should be reported immediately to the Inspector General’s Office (IGO) at email@example.com or through the online complain form or by confidential fax: +41 22 739 73 80.
▪ For any technical problems encountered during the online application, please send an email to the below email address titled “Online VA Query-your name and surname”. Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job City Maputo