Reports To: Fleet Officer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operation s. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS has worked in Kenya since 1965. Over the years, CRS’ focus shifted from direct relief and food distributions to a comprehensive development program that works with partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The Driver will be responsible for driving the organizations vehicles to authorized destinations. Ensure proper repairs and maintenance are carried out, cleanliness of assigned vehicles, record and maintain mileage logs and movement documents as per organizations policies, oversee safety and security for vehicles assigned to him/her at all locations during travel and give feedback on all necessary repairs and assist the VMU supervisor in diagnosing and testing vehicles
- Comply, observe the Kenyan Highway Code and organizations policies while driving at all times.
- Ensure proper vehicle maintenance and services are carried out in accordance with set service schedules as per vehicle manufacturer recommendations and best practice.
- Plan ahead to meet anticipated travel requirements. Fuelling, pre-travel checks, travel docs, vehicle expenses, cross border docs and any other docs and persons traveling for packing instructions and timings.
- Ensure copies of daily mileage logs, pen and clipboard are readily available in all vehicles assigned to, promptly collect used sheets and Timely submissions to avoid loss or defacing.
- Routinely check all assigned vehicles Licenses, Insurances and promptly advice the VMU Supervisor when renewals are due
- Carry out duties of staff transport when assigned and ensure highest quality of service, courteous, efficient services and safe driving for all occupants.
- Report immediately on route changes due to security, bad weather, road conditions or otherwise to the office and VMU Supervisor as the situations arises.
- Take delivery of sub-contracted works carried out on organizations vehicles, inspecting and certifying conformity with requirements and expectations and advising the VMU Supervisor accordingly.
- Being accountable for all spares, accessories etc. fitted in assigned vehicles during repairs at the workshop or in the field.
- Fill vehicle performance reports at the end of each long trip and strictly follow up with liquidations of cash advances with finance.
- Fl uency in English and Swahili both Written and Spoken
- Understanding of the local dialects will be an added advantage
Required Travel: Field locations
Supervisory Responsibilities: None Key Working Relationships:**
Internal: CRS Staff, Relevant Managers and any other relevant departments in CRS/KE
External: As required Qualifications and Experience:**
- Government Trade Test Certificate Grade 3 or Grade 2 will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge and skills in vehicle maintenance and repairs
- ‘O’ Level Education
- Valid accident-free driving license Class A, B, C, E with a minimum of Fi ve years long distance and off-road driving experience
- 3 years’ experience working as a driver in an Ngo set up or in a busy organization.
Skills and Abilities
- Willingness to travel under difficult circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Good oral and written communication skills (English and Swahili).
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer:< em> This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
*Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.** CRS Kenya strives to be a place w here a diverse mix of talented people wa nt to come and work, stay, and do their best.**
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities. By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.< br />
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
How to apply