Fondazione L’Albero della Vita – The Tree of Life Kenya is an organization registered in Kenya as a Trust with the aim of ensuring the wellbeing, protection and promotion of the rights of children and their families and encouraging community development.
The Tree of Life envisions a world without poverty where children can enjoy their rights; grow up in a safe environment, protected from all kinds of violence and abuse, with access to equal opportunities.
The organization has been working in Kenya since 2011, focusing on the sectors of Child Protection, Education and safeguarding of children.
The Tree of Life has been operating in the space of Juvenile Justice, Care Reform, Alternative Family Care, TVET and job inclusion for vulnerable youth, as well as improving education, Wash, nutrition and health services in the ASAL and in the informal settlements of Nairobi.
The Tree of Life is starting up a new program in Kenya in collaboration with several Government Departments, and national and international partners. The project, entitled “RISE”, is funded by the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS) and aims at activating and strengthening formal, inclusive educational services, personal and professional development and sexual and reproductive health pathways to children and youth, both vulnerable and in conflict with the law in Kenya, focusing on the role of Government institutions, educative communities and the private sector. The proposed action is part of a framework of major structural changes in Kenya in the field of Education (reform of the education system), Protection (Care Reform) and the juvenile / child justice system (Restorative Justice, ADR).
Job Title: Driver/Logistician
Supervisor: Programme Coordinator/ Finance Officer
Duty station: Nairobi, with travels in the project’s target areas whenever required (various counties of Kenya)
Starting date: 15th September 2022
Duration of the assignment: 12 months, with 3 months’ probation, renewable
Deadline for application: 9th August 2022
Summary of the role:
The Logistician/Driver will oversee the logistics of the organization and support in country transport of staff for field activities as well as office related activities; manage logistics planning, and procurement. Liaise with project teams to ensure trainings/workshops and field activities are carried out smoothly, work closely with administration team to ensure that the procurement processes are carried out in line with donor procedures.
The logistician should conduct and contribute to the in country assessment in matters of security and traffic regulations to ensure compliance of the organization and safety of staff during field missions.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for driving project vehicles and transport staff in different locations in Kenya as needed.
- Fill out mileage logbook, vehicle maintenance and fuel record sheet.
- At all-time ensure safe driving and safety of the passengers and cargo, following up the traffic rules.
- Ensure compliance of traffic rules at all times.
- Maintain vehicles in good conditions.
- Load and download vehicle safety.
- Perform minor maintenance of the vehicles when required.
- Responsible for the security of the vehicles and luggage on board.
- Responsible for the security of the passengers and staff.
- Managing Inventory: Permanent assets, Inventory i.e. vehicles, computers and Consumable
- Assist in all procurement processes and procedures.
- Managing and recording the use of vehicles spares and repairs.
- Keeping daily record of vehicle movement while indicating fuel consumption – indicating movement between locations.
- Ensuring the vehicle, check validity of insurance.
- Checking suppliers contracts, deadlines and renewals.
- Maintaining vehicle cleanness and in serviceable condition all the time.
- Supporting in planning and preparation of trainings, workshops, events, etc.
- Support the maintenance of the office.
- Any other duty as required by the line manager commensurate with the post.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Diploma and above in Management, Procurement: Supplies management, Logistics management, Economics or other related fields of study.
- Must possess a valid and active BCE class driving license.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft office word, excel, etc); good command of arithmetic concepts.
- Interpersonal communication skills.
- Good command of English and English Language; Good communication skills (both written and oral) in English and Swahili.
- Data handling skill.
- Good analytical and organizational skills, attention to detail and determination to meet deadlines.
Other Skills Required
- Honesty and strong ethics are required in order to be successful in this position.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Flexibility, availability to work depending on the organization’s needs.
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn – open to learning new ways of doing things.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, participatory approach and sustainable development.
- Planning and management skills.
- Pro-active and results oriented, and friendly.
- A minimum of 3 years related work experience as a logistician/driver, 2 of which should be in an NGO set up: training on supply chain management, logistics management, planning, and other related topics.
- Experience of working with diverse teams and multicultural environment, as well as ability to work with partners using effective interpersonal and communication skills.
Employees must sign a child Safeguarding Policy and a confidentiality agreement, and may not share organizational materials without the express written permission from a supervisor.
Respect – the Tree of Life aims to always show respect and appreciation for team members, Partners and all.
Working hours will be discussed and agreed upon
How to apply
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter (stating current salary and expected salary, and how your profile fits the position and the skills required). Applications without expected salary will not be considered.
- CV having 3 references with contacts.
The soft copy application should be sent to:firstname.lastname@example.org
CC: email@example.com with the subject indicating: Driver/ Logistician
Deadline for application is 9th August 2022
Do not attach in this phase ID documents, school or university certificates, or any other document that has not been requested.
Applications received after the deadline or incomplete will not be considered. Only short-listed candidate (s) will be contacted.
The Tree of Life is an equal opportunity employer, and respect all gender, nationality or religious affiliations.