Position: Drop Zone Coordinator
- CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
- CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
- Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
- Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
Overview of position:
- The Drop Zone Coordinator is in charge of identification & preparation of the drop zone & security zone site as per provided guidelines & standards outlined in the “air operation Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) hand book” & the “air drop field manual”.
- The Drop Zone Coordinator will act as the Safety Officer at the drop zone & security zone & is directly responsible for all ground safety during the airdrop.
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator or Team Leader, prepare drop zone & materials prior to receipt of drops & confirming readiness to receive drops.
- Provide leadership in specific technical areas of competence, i.e. air lift & drop zone coordination.
- In coordination with the Logistics Officer, provide ground clearance for final dropping to take place.
- Provide daily situation report including, weather, security & progress of commodity receipt report at the drop site against expected consignment.
- Manage logistics operations at the drop site, including coordinating with local authorities (RRC / RRA) to secure the drop zone during the drops or cargo receipt in a safe manner.
- Provide proper documentation for cargo hand over (food & non food commodities) at the drop zone to the designated respective CP or program appointed staff for distribution.
- Ensure all food dropped is reconstituted / rebagged & accounted for including loses realised upon ground impact.
- Organise regular meetings with the authorities & communicate, the purpose of the drops & expectations from them to ensure crowd control & thus have safe air drops.
- Maintain communication with Logistics Officer at CO on the situation on ground provide periodic updates on the progress of activities & devise measures for improvement at field level where necessary.
- Consolidate & provide daily air delivery / drop report through designated radio rooms or direct to Logistics Officer Air Operations.
- Drop Zone Cordinator shall participate in assessment of new drop sites & demarcation of dropzones in the emergency areas.
- Ensure that all communication gadgets provided are functional & faulty ones replaced timely to avoid cancellation of flights due to faulty communication gadgets.
- Ensure, timely accurate & complete drop zone coordinates are provided to the designated focal personnel prior to receipt of drops.
- Supervise staff & local manpower to clear the drop zone timely & ensure maximum drops per day thus optimum use of air assets.
- Ensure that all staff are adequately trained & coordinated to achieve high working standards.
- The Air Drop Coordinator will report to the Logistics Officer Air Operations & is under the functional supervision of the Head of Logistics of South Sudan in Juba.
- Minimum bechalor’s degree, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses in a field related to the aviation sector, particularly cargo handling or any training related to aviation cargo transport activities, will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 5 year of working experience in areas of responsible aviation cargo transport or warehousing experience with minimum one year in the field of logistics, transport, warehouse operations or other related field.
- Good working knowledge & experience using MS Office applications.
- Very good command of English language & knowledge of French
- The Air Drop Coordinator will be based in the field with extensive travel to various emergency areas in Burkina Faso.
- Commitment, dedication & work ethics highly required in this job.
- Good organization & planning skills, possess the ability to interpret & analyze a wide variety of data & identify & resolve data discrepancies and operational problems, a high sense of initiative & good judgment, ability to conduct field assessments & to handle a large volume of work Quickly & accurately under time constraints, a customer service oriented individual with the ability to work effectively with people of different national & cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to resolve conflicts & have a clean accountable track record.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Facilitators for the ASSESS Communication Capacity Building Workshops (Webinars) at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Records and Archiving Intern at Chemonics
- Associate Director – Agribusiness at Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund
- Consultancy for the End line Evaluation Survey at Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning and Knowledge Management Officer – Kenya at Global EverGreening Alliance