CALL FOR APPLICATION
Position Title: Durable Solutions- Saameynta Intern
Vacancy Number: CFA/IOMSO/004/2022
Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya
Type of Appointment: International Internship
Duration of Contract: 6 months, with possibility of extension
Organizational Unit: Durable Solutions – Saameynta
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 26 October 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Only external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. This is a request for Curricula / expression of interest for Internship. Applications from all gender candidates are encouraged.
Over the last several years, Somalia has made slow but steady progress toward restoring peace and security. The Somali Government – at the federal and federal member state levels – is an increasingly viable partner to IOM and the broader international community. It remains nascent, however, and the Government still struggles to address the negative effects of conflict and severe droughts, which have resulted in more than two million people being displaced. Increasingly, opportunities are emerging to support durable solutions to displacement, informed by experiences gathered over the years. IOM has been instrumental in its support of communities to drive, and government to increasingly lead on building progress towards durable solutions to displacement. With a strong emphasis on localized capacities and community priorities, increasing partnerships are building momentum towards durable solutions.
IOM Somalia serves as the lead agency for a four-year UN joint program, named Saameynta, and funded through the UN’s Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF). Other participating agencies include UNDP, UN-HABITAT, and the Resident Coordinator’s Office (RC). As lead agency, IOM hosts a Consortium Management Unit to ensure maximum impact of Saameynta’s efforts, ensuring efficient delivery of program activities, coordination with other durable solutions initiatives, liaison with and support to Saameynta Somali Government counterparts, and communicating results to the MPTF and contributing donors.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, in coordination with the Programme Coordinator Saameynta and relevant programme managers, the successful candidate will assist in supporting and contributing to Saameynta Consortium Management Unit activities, in particular Project Reporting, Communications, and Knowledge Management. Tasks will include:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Conduct synthesis research on available studies, assessments, research, and lessons learned on Housing, Land and Property (HLP) in Somalia.
- Based on the synthesis, formulate challenges, gaps, and needs to strengthen HLP aspect of the Saameynta programme.
- Connect with knowledge partners, implementing partners, donor stakeholders and government to exchange on the synthesis findings for adaptive programming.
- Develop knowledge management systems for the Saameynta Joint Programme as needed to ensure that information is stored and easily accessible by assisting in collecting, arranging, and cataloging information.
- Support the knowledge management of the Durable Solution unit and Saameynta Programme by maintaining and updating project matrix and maintaining institutional memories or other documentation and information management systems.
- Assist in developing communications products to showcase Saameynta Joint Programme activities, and other Durable Solution activities as needed by assisting in data collection, development/writing, revising, proof reading, and graphics.
- Assist M&E team to ensure proper monitoring of results and implementation of activities, and other Durable Solutions activities as required by tracking outputs of the activities, beneficiary figures, and documentation of success stories.
- Review and carry out preliminary editing of donor reports from programme units and participate in the report finalization process with the Donor Report team at the Regional Office in Nairobi.
- Assist with the preparation and execution of internal and external meetings with donor, partners, and government (preparing the agenda, taking minutes, collecting action points etc.)
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or/and Master’s degree in International Relations, International Development, Humanities, Law, Political or Social Science, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution
- Six-month professional experience related to any of the following activities: M&E, reporting, data management, communications, research.
- Experience working or internship for an International NGO or UN agency is an advantage.
- Excellent and demonstrable analytical, communication and writing skills.
- Experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-governmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Experience in writing reports and proof reading.
- Knowledge of working on Knowledge Management and research activities in Somalia or the region is an advantage.
- Knowledge in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis.
- Digital literacy and demonstrated knowledge of information technology in Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working proficiency of other UN languages will be considered an advantage
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
- Fill out HR questionnaire using the form link https://forms.office.com/r/wZNcXvJsrU
- After filling out HR questionnaire, please proceed to send CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for Application Number (CFA No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees (preferably direct former/academic supervisors) and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date
- Any candidate who fill out HR questionnaire but did not send CV and Cover letter will be disqualified.
- Any candidate who Send CV and Cover letter but did not fill out questionnaire will be disqualified.
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
From 13.10.2022 to 26.10.2022
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Technical Advisor – Surveillance and Epidemiology at Jhpiego Nigeria
- Senior Global Operations Manager at Pathfinder International
- Feasibility Study Consultant at Sign of Hope
- Director, Project Management Office at Pathfinder International
- Environmental Compliance Frankincense and Myrrh Experts (several) at DAI Global