Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Medical Department.
MSF OCBA is continuously adapting processes and tools to improve efficiency and quality of data. We have selected solutions for medical data available to the teams, both in the field and in the headquarters, in order to support decision-making and improve the quality of the field operations.
PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANISATIONAL CHART
The eHealth Medical Officer will work within the Medical Operational Unit in the Medical Department and s/he will be hierarchically accountable to the eHealth Epidemiologist. She/he will also work closely with:
- Apps4Ops Unit, especially the eHealth team, but also project managers for new projects.
- Focal Points in the missions and projects to support the process of data collection for reporting and analysis.
- Staff in operations and the medical department to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of data collection process for healthcare management and delivery.
- The learning technician at Apps4Ops and learning unit for the customization, development and deployment of training material.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN TASKS
Provision of guidance regarding health information systems:
- Acts as facilitator for the implementation of systems in the field oriented to facilitate and/or improve data collection and analysis, with strong focus in OCBA’s Health Management Information System (HMIS).
- Provides users both at Field and Headquarters with support for hierarchy definition, data collection, analysis and interpretation of data. Assures timely and adapted answers to the end user questions related with health information.
- Participates in the reviewing and modification of health-related system content.
- Assist the field teams/cell in the monitoring of health programs, support on creation/maintenance of medical and operational dashboards and/or other relevant interventions.
- Support or directly provide methodology and/or help in the adequate use of the data collection system to monitor/document programs when required.
- Follows up and supports Mission HMIS focal points activity.
- Conducts briefings and debriefings of field staff going to or returning from the field related to the points above mentioned.
- Travels to the regional offices, mission capitals and projects to undertake training, mentorship, and intensive support depending on needs.
- Act as Data Management officer for kick starting data collection and data management systems in the field in emergency response projects (EU or Regular missions), whether from remote (online) intensively and/or eventually travelling to the field for periods of around 2-3 weeks.
Research and training:
- Support or conduct operational research related to health information systems in close coordination /collaboration with the other epidemiologists and operational health advisors.
- Determines the training needs related to health information systems in collaboration with the learning referent of the medical department, and following the needs identified by Operations and Medical Departments.
- Participates in the design, implementation and evaluation of the systems trainings.
- Participates as tutor or facilitator-Trainer in sectional (OCBA) and international MSF courses that include eHealth components.
- Organizes and participates in conferences, congresses, workshops, forums when requested.
- University Degree in Medicine, Nursing, Public Health or related sciences.
- Experience with Health Information Systems or an ability to demonstrate a good understanding/respect for data systems/reporting.
- Knowledge of DHIS2 software an asset.
- Field experience in NGO Health sector, preferably with MSF.
- Experience in the facilitation of trainings. Experience in training of trainers desirable.
- Languages: Fluent English and French necessary. Spanish desirable. Arabic or Portuguese advantageous.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Position based in any MSF OCBA Hub (Barcelona, MSF-Spain delegations, Amman, Dakar or Nairobi). Final location will be subject to the employability of the preselected candidate (residency, work permit,etc.).
- Full-time job.
- Minimum commitment with the position of 3 years.
- Availability to travel approx. 40%.
- Annual gross salary: HQ-3A (divided in 12 monthly payments) plus secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy. Subjected to local conditions.
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-OCBA guideline.
- Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter: https://careers.msf-applications.org/job-invite/6307/
Closing date: 15th May 20221, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.