Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.
Economic Opportunity Lead, Ghana
ACDI/VOCA is seeking an Economic Opportunity Lead for an upcoming youth activity in Ghana funded by USAID. The program will improve the socioeconomic status of youth in northern Ghana through youth-led and youth-serving organizations, among others, to generate cross-sectoral, positive youth development outcomes, allowing them to make better life decisions and influence policy. The program will give special attention to the needs of girls, the disabled, and other disadvantaged groups.
The Economic Opportunity Lead will develop activities to empower youth at the household and community levels. They will lead the process of identifying and addressing age-specific constraints that limit social and economic empowerment, such as mobility, social stigma, household decision-making, and access to markets. The Economic Opportunity Lead will implement transformative approaches that expand both on- and off-farm economic opportunities. The program is anticipated to start in 2024 and this position is based in Tamale, Ghana.
- Provide visionary oversight and guidance to the Activity regarding youth entrepreneurship, employment, and education, including skills development initiatives and private sector engagement in facilitating economic opportunities for youth
- Lead the development of strategies and interventions that promote the economic and social empowerment of male and female youth, especially young women, youth with disabilities, and Fulbe youth
- Actively partner with youth and other key stakeholders (schools, private sector, government, etc.) to improve conditions for youth economic opportunities
- Collaborate with other staff to ensure gender and social inclusion are integrated properly throughout the program areas in accordance with ACDI/VOCA and USAID’s youth and gender strategies and policies
- Lead and/or oversee research focused on youth economic opportunities, including utilizing youth-led research methods and analysis of age- and gender-specific challenges and opportunities
- Liaise with other technical specialists to ensure cross-sectoral synergies and impacts across the program
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team to ensure that economic opportunities approaches are well understood, planned for, and that indicators, data collection methods, and learning is being captured, analyzed, and reported on
- Work with local youth-led and youth-serving organizations to carry out program approaches and interventions, including strengthening the capacity of these organizations to improve service offerings to young people
- Collaborate with USAID and other donor investments and programs in the Zone of Influence
- Contribute to the creation of work plans and periodic written program reports, summarizing youth economic opportunities results as well as progress and evidence of transformative approaches
- Identify and address capacity building and resource needs for program staff and partners
- Bachelor’s degree in sociology, economics, business, management, international development, or relevant field required; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in youth workforce development, job creation and/or placement, and/or youth entrepreneurship preferably in northern Ghana or a similar context.
- Understanding of and experience with the private sector in northern Ghana desired.
- Familiarity with PYD approaches and meaningful youth engagement approaches desired.
- Experience working in northern Ghana strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English required.
Ghanaian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please apply online at Work With Us : ACDI/VOCA : Economic Opportunity Lead, Ghana in Tamale | Careers at Ghana (icims.com). The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. ACDI/VOCA will never request payment or charge a fee to apply for any position.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Positive Youth Development and Inclusion Advisor, Ghana at ACDI/VOCA
- Deputy Chief of Party, Ghana at ACDI/VOCA
- Consultancy: Facilitation of virtual and hybrid labour migration forums for EA Regional stakeholders in labour migration.
- Chief of Party, Ghana at ACDI/VOCA
- Programme Support Manager at Medair