Samuel Hall is seeking a highly motivated individual to join its team for a full-time position as an Editor, to work under the Development Unit and report to the Communications Manager. They will be responsible for helping Samuel Hall to perfect and streamline its written outputs. Their main focus will be on research reports, alongside other communications outputs. The Editor will ensure all research and communications outputs are of the highest standard, consistent with Samuel Hall’s brand guidelines, therefore making them suitable for sharing with clients that span the world’s leading development and humanitarian actors across Asia, Africa, and Europe.
Who We Are
Our research connects the voices of communities to changemakers for more inclusive societies. Samuel Hall is a social enterprise that conducts research, evaluates programmes and designs policies in contexts of migration and displacement. Our approach is ethical, academically rigorous, and based on first-hand experience of complex and fragile settings. With offices in Afghanistan, Germany, Kenya, Tunisia, and the United Arab Emirates, we are based in the regions we study. We have over ten years’ experience in 70+ countries and have become a trusted partner and leading voice in the field of migration and displacement research, working with governments, donors, multilateral organisations and NGOs, as well public and private sector entities. It’s an exciting time for Samuel Hall – we were recently selected by Stanford University as one of the Global South’s high-potential, fast-growth social enterprises. For more information, please visit www.samuelhall.org.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: We work in a fast-paced, demanding, and challenging environment – you will be expected to grow with us and carve out your own spot in the team. We look for proactive, creative individuals who find opportunities to make their mark and identify solutions to problems. We look for strong leaders and reliable team-players who can add value from the very start, expand our knowledge and help us to maximise our social impact.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Editing Research Outputs
● Copy-edit academic research reports in line with our style guidelines
● Ensure outputs adhere to our academic methodological standards, including verification of academic referencing.
● Ensure brand consistency across all Samuel Hall research reports
● Coordinate with senior research leads across the organisation on finalisation of research materials
● Coordinate with clients and partners on editing and finalisation of research
● Manage timelines for editing processes
● Work with external graphic design agencies as appropriate Editing Communications Outputs
● Copy-edit wider communications outputs ranging from media messaging to talking points, blog posts, op-eds etc.
● Ensure brand consistency across all Samuel Hall communications outputs
● Coordinate with wider communications team on finalisation of communications outputs
● Proofread ad hoc documents such as proposals, client pitches, etc.
● Contribute to thought leadership and writing initiatives
Opportunities for Growth
Working at Samuel Hall means that you are contributing to ground-breaking, innovative, and rigorous work that bridges research, implementation and policy. Most of our training happens on the job, but as part of our investment in learning and development, everyone is encouraged to apply for up to five days of paid professional development leave and financial resources to enable them to acquire new skills and knowledge. We commit to helping you to:
● Grow within the organisation, with gradual increases in responsibility and accountability, and exposure to our different roles within the Development Unit.
● Grow to become a sought-after focal point for development and humanitarian actors, with the opportunity for continued learning, and the chance to become a key voice in your area of expertise.
● Grow your personal and professional network as we expand our list of partners. The Development Unit is a new and expanding team within Samuel Hall that rewards ambition. Whatever your personal career goals, there is a real opportunity to help shape the strategic direction of the organisation and to contribute directly to our continued growth.
● 3 years’ relevant profe ssional editing experience Excellent spoken and written skills in English (French, Arabic and/or additional languages a plus)
● Excellent attention to detail
● Team player who can thrive in a global environment
● Ability to cope under pressure, work occasionally irregular hours and meet tight deadlines
● Proactive and able to work under own initiative
● Appetite for knowledge and improvement
● A Master’s degree in a relevant field
Location: Remote (with potential for relocation later on)
Contract: duration 12 months, renewable, with a trial period
Vacancy closure: Open until filled
Email for submission: email@example.com
How to apply
All applicants should send their cover letter and CV in separate PDF files, each labelled: “ Full name of CL/CV Applicant” with the email subject line clearly expressed: “Name – Editor.” Three samples of relevant work and three references should also be included
Samuel Hall is an equal opportunities employer. Applicants who do not follow the required format will not be considered. Only applicants selected will be notified, and interviews are conducted on a rolling basis.