Education Manager VVOB in South Africa
Deadline for applications: Thursday 14/07/2022
Would you like to contribute to the improvement of the quality of education?
Hello! We’re excited to see you found your way to this job opening. That must mean you share our ambition to ensure learners around the world enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
But first things first. Allow us to introduce ourselves. VVOB Education for Development is a multinational organisation, supporting the education sector in 9 different countries, to improve the quality of education.
- VVOB stands for ‘commitment’ – to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
- VVOB stands for ‘integrity’ and ‘mutual respect’ – in working with our partner organisations across 10 countries / three continents.
- VVOB stands for ‘quality’ and ‘innovation’ – of everything we do in our effort to improve education worldwide.
Do you still feel like you are in the right place? Great, because VVOB is looking for an Education Manager to support programmes/projects in South Africa (presently in early childhood and early grade reading in Foundation Phase).
Purpose of the function:
The ambition of VVOB is to ensure learners around the world enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception. In striving for that ambition, we place our values ‘commitment’, ‘integrity’, ‘respect’, ‘quality’ and ‘innovation’ central.
You contribute to this ambition and these values by having the responsibility over all matters related to technical educational aspects of VVOB’s country education programmes. As a key member of the management team, you inspire, grow and change with us and you easily navigate between operations and strategy.
As part of and in close collaboration with the management team, you are responsible for the Education Department and manage all possible direct reports within this department. You work closely together with all departments, specifically the Strategic/Education Advisors, and report to the Country Programmes Manager.
- As an expert you provide support and quality assurance checks for relevant educational topics by bringing key skills and knowledge in content development and content delivery.
- You are responsible for planning, monitoring and reporting programme activities and you will manage the related budget in cooperation with the operations manager and country programmes manager, to ensure the programs meets stated goals, outcomes, benchmarks, reporting requirements and budget projections.
- You provide strong organizational (strategic and technical) leadership and overall management (on-the-job mentoring, coaching, capacity development, change management) for your direct reports and you foster good relationships with and between partners and teams, supporting a positive organizational culture.
- For the implementation of our program, you secure cooperation and support from VVOB’s partners, you promote VVOB as a reliable partner and you represent our organization towards external stakeholders in your field.
If you’re our Education Manager your workweek will include the following highlights:
- You organise a meeting with education advisors from the different programs you are supervising, discussing progress and challenges and exchanging good practices that drive learning as a team forward.
- You have a meeting with the various education departments (Department of Basic Education and KZN Department of Education) about integrating lessons learned from the various programs into education policy.
- Lunch! Get to know your colleagues better, or pop out the office to run a personal errand.
- You discuss program/project progress with team members and oversee finalisation of progress reports that need to be submitted to the donor monthly, quarterly or annually.
- You have a meeting with the main partner in one of the programs to discuss the logistics of the upcoming training.
- You have a performance evaluation conversation with one of your team members which you have prepared for thoroughly, to discuss strengths and development areas and define a personal development plan.
Qualifications, experience & competencies you bring to our team:
- You have a master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience.
- You have experience in a similar position.
- You have at least 5 years of experience successfully supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex (preferably donor-funded) education projects with large annual budgets.
- You have at least 5 years (preferably international) experience in the education sector in Low and Middle income countries in Africa, preferably in South Africa.
- You have strong and proven management and leadership skills with a track record in leading and motivating a diverse group of professional staff.
- You have an in depth understanding of the national education system/sector.
- You have extensive experience with capacity development processes and strategies, change processes and change management at institutional level.
- You have demonstrated and extensive experience in strategic networking and partnership building with a range of partners (government, donors).
- You have excellent ICT skills
- You are fluent in English.
VVOB core competences:
- Result Orientation
- Continuous Improvement
Function specific competencies:
- Giving Direction
- Communication skills
- Planning and organisation
What we’re offering:
- A full-time contract until 31/12/26.
- An attractive compensations package with medical aid and children school fee allowance, and professional development opportunities.
- A dynamic working environment in an international context
- An exciting job in a growing organization with varied responsibilities.
- This position is open to South African candidates only
- The position is based in Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa
Estimated starting date:
On or preferably before 1 September, 2022.
(VVOB Office, Professional Teacher Training Institute – Dokkies)
Your motivation letter and a detailed CV are expected no later than Thursday 14/07/2022.
Please email this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted candidates will take a written test, go through an interview process and an assessment, before a final offer.
VVOB firmly believes that quality education can only be achieved if equity is ensured. Qualities of people prevail, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or disability. Is this not exactly the job you are looking for? Please have a look at our other vacancies at: https://www.vvob.org/en/vacancies.
- Job City South Africa