Education Project Assistant, Baidoa – Somalia-National Position (1 Position)
Position Title: Education Project Assistant
Reporting to: Project Officer
Duty Station: Baidoa (Southwest State)
Position Status: locally hired position
Area of Operation: Southwest State of Somalia
Employment period Starting in August 2022, 10 months with the possibility of extension
FCA works to enable people to break the circle of poverty and violence. We are a rights-based actor, a Finnish organization with 70 year
s of experience, with operations in 15 countries. FCA is Finland’s largest NGO in development cooperation and second largest provider of disaster relief. Our action is guided by international human rights standards and principles. We realize our mission and vision through development cooperation, humanitarian assistance and advocacy work. We contribute to positive change by supporting people in the most vulnerable situations within fragile and disaster-affected areas. We consider three thematic areas as central to sustainable change: the right to peace (R2P), livelihood (R2L) and quality education (R2QE).
In Somalia and Somaliland FCA has been working under a right to peace thematic areas since 2008 including governance and reconciliation projects and later has expanded in quality education (R2QE) thematic area.
Primary purpose of the position:
The Education project Assistant – under the guidance of Project Officer is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of FCA implemented education projects. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of project resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches.
He or she will ensure synergy through collaboration and networking with other stakeholders implementing education programme in his/her area of operation. Education project Assistant will ensure partnership with relevant partners including ministry of education including district education officers (DEOs), regional education officers (REO), and with Community Education Committees at community level. Education Officer shall ensure linkage among education and other thematic areas at field level. He or she will play key role in representing FCA in relevant networks and forums and engage in advocacy and dialogue with relevant education stakeholders at region and district level.
- Play a pivotal role in coordinating and implementing education and related activities and make sure quality and appropriate documentation is produced, collected, and shared timely
- Detailed implementation plans DIPs, Procurement Plans;
- Develop and carry work-plans for education intervention including logistic planning for project supplies/materials, monitoring /training schedules
- Coordinate community engagement for planning and implementation of accountable project activities:
- Promote awareness of project deliverables for accountability purposes.
- Guide site selection and beneficiary selection processes, promoting gender sensitivity conflict sensitivity and vulnerability sensitivity allocation of resources and child safeguarding as well.
- Coordinate and monitor Education activities and distribution of project supplies, promoting transparency and accountability.
- Develop and monitor weekly action plans for education program activities in coordination with the PM/TS.
- Prepare project monthly progress reports.
- Coordinate baseline and end line assessment.
- Prepare success stories with high quality pictures.
- Ensure adherence to INEE Minimum Standards for Education and SPHERE standards.
- To contribute to the documentation of good practices– case studies, successful programming approaches and lessons learnt
- Contribute to Education debates at district/FMS/country and regional level, when needed, sharing best practices with team.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the Project Manager
- Diploma in education with minimum of 2 years working experience in humanitarian and development aid
- Familiarity with interagency education in emergency INEE minimum standards.
- Experience in DRR would be an asset.
- Experience in the child safeguarding guidelines and policies.
- Proven strong knowledge of implementing education in emergency projects.
- Ability to work independently
- High analytical and solution-oriented thinking
- Ability to work in a high-risk security area
- Relevant experience in fragile context and community mobilization Knowledge of EiE, is a requirement
- Good knowledge of Bay region and Mai dialect is an asset Proficiency in English (oral and written).
- Strong and proven knowledge in Excel, word and power point is required.
FCA practices zero tolerance against concerning aid diversion and illegal actions and may screen [contractor/external party name] (i.e., applicants, contracts, suppliers, consultants, etc.) against international lists to ensure due diligence and compliance with Anti-money laundering and Combating the Financing of terrorism requirements). FCA’s Child Safeguarding Policy applies to all FCA staff.
How to apply
Please apply by using the link no later than on 10th August 2022. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be short-listed and contacted for an interview on a progressive basis.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Senior Project Assistant- Conflict Analyst at International Organization for Migration
- Officer, Livelihoods at Concern Worldwide
- OTI Country Representative/Senior Country Representative at US Agency for International Development
- Programme Officer – Education at Save the Children
- Emergency Response Coordinator at Save the Children