HIAS is thrilled to build our emergency response roster to uphold our mission to support refugees and displaced populations in times of crisis. We are seeking passionate humanitarian professionals to join our initiative to help serve and respond to humanitarian emergencies.
HIAS seeks an experienced Emergency Team Lead to join its global external surge roster. HIAS established its emergency roster to access a pool of experienced and qualified candidates with a demonstrated background in emergency response and complex humanitarian programming. As the most senior position on the roster, the Emergency Team Lead role is responsible for managing the Emergency Team on the ground and, where there is an existing HIAS Country Office, is the interface between the Emergency Team and the Country Director. Where there is no Country Office, the Emergency Team Lead will head the operations and report to the HQ-based Director, Emergency Response.
The Emergency Team Lead is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of HIAS’s emergency response for which he/she is selected and contracted/deployed. He/she is the leader of the Emergency Response Team, responsible and accountable for developing, coordinating, and managing all emergency activities. Among other tasks (and dependent upon the location of deployment and needs on the ground), core responsibilities of the Emergency Team Lead are envisioned to include: leading rapid needs assessments, conducting partner mappings and engaging in relevant coordination fora, designing the response, and, where needed, identifying appropriate local partners to support implementation. In many contexts, the Emergency Team Lead may also oversee the initial start-up of emergency programming. The Emergency Team Lead also has overall responsibility for response-related operations, including the security and wellbeing of emergency staff working on the response. Also Read Nigeria Ngo Jobs
In order to join HIAS’ emergency roster, candidates will need to apply as instructed through the website and then will undergo a shortened selection process. All roster members will be requested to keep HIAS updated as to their interest and availability to be deployed and/or remotely support on emergency responses. If/when opportunities arise that meet a roster member’s skill set, they will be contacted and will go through an expedited selection and contracting process, including salary agreement based on the role and location of the roster surge support placement. While on the roster and not working/deployed, roster members will not receive compensation or benefits of any kind, but may potentially have access to trainings.
- In countries where HIAS does not have an existing presence, lead rapid needs assessment and develop an integrated emergency response plan and oversee start-up implementation, with support from HIAS’ Emergency Department, Technical Directors, and Strategy & Measurement teams. Where response implementation will be conducted through partners, the Emergency Team Lead will also lead the process of identifying and selecting implementing partners.
- In countries where HIAS already has a presence, lead all assessment, program design, and response planning and management, working closely with the existing Country Office as well as HIAS’ Regional and Technical Directors.
- Ensure that HIAS’ Country Office, regional-, and headquarters-level staff are provided with regular Situation Reports, are aware of humanitarian developments and HIAS’s response to them, and other information and reporting needs are fulfilled as requested.
- Play a leading role in field-level donor relationship management and work closely with the Country and/or Regional Directors (if in a country or region where HIAS already operates) as well as Emergency Department and Development team to secure donor funding for emergency projects, including taking a leading role in proposal development as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with implementing partners, NGO’s, UN agencies, host government, bilateral and multilateral donors, and other principle stakeholders.
- Coordinate the development of all project implementation plans and budgets within the framework of the response program and strategy, including support to implementing partner organizations to ensure they have established realistic and achievable project management and implementation processes.
- Ensure adequate monitoring and reporting of emergency activities, and implementation in accordance with international standards and in close coordination with HIAS’ Technical Directors.
- Oversee Operations functions required to support the emergency response in accordance with HIAS policies and procedures, working closely with the Country Office in locations where HIAS already has a presence, and with HIAS’ Emergency Department and Headquarters Operations Divisions.
- Where appropriate, play a leading role in ensuring timely and accurate information provision to the Public Affairs team in support of Communications, Media, and Advocacy efforts around the humanitarian emergency. This will include ensuring that all information, publicity, and fundraising material recognizes and respects the dignity of those affected by disasters or emergencies.
- Oversee on-the-ground human resources related to the emergency response, monitoring for ongoing human resources issues and making recommendations and adjustments accordingly to ensure the response is staffed to achieve its objectives.
- Oversee on-the-ground safety and security measures, including ensuring that all HIAS personnel associated with the emergency programming understand individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security and that the response is compliant with HIAS policies and procedures.
- Monitor the operational environment and advise the Country Office and/or Regional Director (if in a country or region where HIAS has a presence), Emergency Department, and HIAS Safety and Security Team.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Dynamic individual with a proven ability to achieve results in a demanding, fast-paced, and often insecure environment.
- Minimum of five years of experience in emergency/humanitarian response, at least three of which must be in the field.
- Demonstrated experience in a management role in field-level emergency programming and operations, including direct line management of multi-national teams.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting needs assessment in emergency-affected areas.
- Demonstrated experience managing multi-donor (including large institutional emergency donors), multi-sector programs in an emergency context.
- Experience in both direct implementation as well as sub-partner management preferred, including partner mapping, assessment, and selection.
- Demonstrated experience in project design and concept note and proposal drafting (including budgeting); experience working with implementing partners and drafting proposals involving sub-partner arrangements preferred.
- Solid understanding of and expertise in operational best practices (e.g. Finance, HR, Security, Logistics) when working in complex and challenging environments.
- Willingness to relocate for up to three to six months (depending on emergency) and at short notice (within 1-2 weeks).
- Ability to work well with others and rapidly adapt to new countries/contexts.
- Flexibility to work in challenging environments and with high workloads, potentially with limited mobility.
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) required; additional language skills preferred.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Completion of Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) within the past three years preferred.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religious creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, age, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety, and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation, or other legally protected status.
How to apply
To apply, please follow this link and complete application online: Emergency Roster Team Lead Ukraine Response – Careers At HIAS Inc. (hrmdirect.com)