The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and other forms of violence and provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi is a hub that co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti and hosts the organizations’ regional logistics, technical and training support units serving the Horn and Great Lakes Region.
Position: Environment & Climate Change Waste Specialist
Environment and Climate Change Waste Specialist supports delegations in identifying and implementing projects to reduce their environmental impacts, particularly concerning sustainable waste management. The incumbent directly manages sustainable response projects, in relation to their area of expertise, under the supervision of the direct manager.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Supports ICRC delegations (i.e., premises) to reduce the environmental impact related to their waste generation and helps them in developing and implementing their waste management plans;
- Supports the delegation understand the risks associated with waste and the importance of waste management and data collection.
- Reviews delegations’ waste management score and help them to reduce/improve this score;
- Performs site situation analysis in the area of waste management and proposes a package of measures to reduce the related environmental impact;
- Assist the delegation investigate waste management opportunities and develop their waste management strategy and priority areas;
- Supports representatives of a delegation or field programme in defining an action plan, priorities for implementation and the project objectives, budget and implementation plan;
- Provides technical guidance in the areas of waste management, waste reduction, recycling and/or reuse to colleagues working on the sites or field programmes;
- Follows up or drives the project implementation plan, including monitoring of project indicators (covering progress, immediate results and longer-term outcomes);
- Captures lessons learned from the project and supports dissemination of the findings;
- Organises or takes part in training and awareness campaigns on the environment and climate change and waste management for ICRC staff;
- Provides technical waste expertise to the Environment and Climate Change team and investigates new waste management technologies, keeping up to date with the latest technologies and trends regarding waste management;
- Supports the Environment Climate Change (ECC) team in determining how to strengthen the waste management and be the ECC teams’ main point of call for all waste related matters;
- Works closely with the Green team and Premises team in the Nairobi delegation to maintain their waste management plan and help ensure the Nairobi Green Team is collating all required waste data;
- Evaluates the waste streams generated in the Nairobi delegation and help the delegation in reducing this waste;
- Analyses the emerging National Waste Management Laws and advice the Nairobi Delegation on how to be compliant;
- Assists delegations in assessing external companies, service providers that provide waste handling services;
- Promotes schemes for reuse and recycling, use of clean technologies, recovering and reducing the hazardousness of waste, and sending less waste to landfills;
- Provides instructions for handling of all types of waste including detailed instructions for the equipment needed when managing waste, as well as any safety procedures for waste crews;
- Closely works with specialist in other humanitarian organisations to identify good practices and areas of mutual actions in relation to waste management;
- Continuously collects and collates information in relation to emerging waste management procedures, laws and practices;
- Periodically reviews waste management procedures and training manuals to ensure they incorporate the latest technologies and procedures;
- On a need basis, reviews the ICRC’s internal assessment tool for waste management providers to capture the emerging and changing trends.
Minimum Requirements and competencies
- University degree from a recognized university in a relevant Engineering or Environmental discipline (e.g. civil or environmental engineering, environmental science) or, Technical degree with specialization in waste management;
- Minimum 3-5 years professional working experience in a similar field;
- Experience in project management, data analysis and reporting;
- Experience in delivering presentation and reports;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (Knowledge of French is an asset);
- Project management certification is an asset.
How to apply
The interested candidates should fill up a form by clicking the link below on or before 07th October 2022 at 4:30 pm then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree etc) and current and expected remuneration to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
- Application Link
- E-mail: email@example.com
The reference Environment & Climate Change Specialist must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not fill out the required information as per the link provided or clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
In processing your personal data for recruitment purposes, we follow the information notice as explained HERE.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Loan Management Officer at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Clerk of Pan African Parliament (PAP) at the African Union (AU)
- Executive Assistant at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Administrative Assistant at the OPEC Fund for International Development
- Program Coordinator at American Friends Service Committee