African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EOI: Individual Consultant – Accelerating Coal Transition and Just Energy Transition Support to the African Development Bank in South Africa
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Department issuing the request: PESD 5
Nature of assignment: Individual Consultant
Duration of the assignment: Twelve (12) months
Terms of Reference for Individual Consultant: Climate Change, Just Energy Transition
Brief Description of the Assignment
- The Bank is co-implementing the Accelerating Coal Transition (ACT) Investment Plan (IP)1 under the Climate Investment Funds as one of its key operations within the Southern Region portfolio. The main objective of the assignment is centred on the provision of technical expertise and support in the development, implementation, and monitoring of the Bank’s ACT IP activities.
- Accordingly, the Bank is seeking the services of an individual consultant who has expertise in climate change, just energy transition, and energy to provide technical support and advice to the Energy Task Team of the African Development Bank in Pretoria.
Scope of Work
The consultant will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Provide technical support to the Task Team in the preparation, implementation, and monitoring of projects under the ACT IP umbrella.
- Develop funding proposals to mobilize additional resources under the ACT and other relevant JET projects;
- Review project documents and other relevant documents and provide technical opinion/advice to relevant clients and to the Bank;
- Participate in the development of strategies, policies, procedures, papers, briefs, and various reports relating to the financing of ACT energy projects;
- Prepare and participate in ACT related appraisal missions.
- Assist in reviewing and processing of disbursements for approved projects, ensuring clients compliance with all fiduciary, safeguard and third party’s contractual obligations;
- Support the Bank Task Team in carrying out supervision of approved projects, involving inter alia the review of progress reports, preparation, participation in supervision missions, drafting of project supervision reports, and identification of solution to overcome implementation challenges;
- Conduct research and analysis on climate change, energy transition, and energyrelated topics;
- Co-represent the Bank in international seminars/conferences/workshops concerning energy projects in the region;
- Support and participate in policy dialogue with government officials, development partners, etc.
The consultant will be expected to provide the following type of deliverables, including:
- Produce Terms of References, Project Concept Notes (PCNs) and Project Appraisal Reports (PAR) for ACT and JET projects in collaboration with the South Africa Energy Task Team.
- Generate back-to-office reports (BTORs) as a result of participating in business development meetings regarding ACT and JET financing opportunities for the Bank.
- Provide regular research and analysis updates on JET and ACT related climate change, energy transition, and energy-related topics.
Duration of the Assignment:
- The assignment is for twelve (12) working months, rendered over a period of maximum 18 calendar months, starting from the date of the contract signing, with a possibility of extension based on need and performance of the Consultant.
- The Consultant will be expected to provide regular progress reports and deliverables as per an agreed timeline proposed by the Consultant.
Qualifications and Experience Required
The individual consultant should have the following qualifications:
- Advanced Degree related to Climate Change, Energy, Engineering, Economics, or a related field;
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience in climate change, energy transition, and energy-related fields;
- Experience in working with and providing technical support to multilateral organizations, specifically Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), on climate change, energy transition, and energy-related topics;
- Full understanding of the MDB’s project cycle and project implementation, including project management experience;
- In-depth knowledge of the principles behind the Climate Investment Fund’s support to JET programs. Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa, particularly in South Africa;
- Exposure to the South African JET process is a significant advantage.
- Engagement in JET work in South Africa a distinct advantage.
- Good oral and written communication skills and capacity to advance interinstitutional dialogues, whilst building lasting relations with clients and stakeholders;
- Strong analytical skills, including experience conducting research and analysis, alongside demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Fluency in English is required.
- Accomplished in using Microsoft Office (MS Office), and other relevant software.
- Other ad hoc assignments as requested by the Bank’s South African Energy Team and the CIF Coordination Unit.
- The successful consultant will work under the guidance of the Division Manager (PESD5) and the Chief Regional Power Syst. Officer (PESD5).
- The consultant shall be physically present at the Bank‘s offices in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Limited travel may occur.
- The budget for this consultancy will be based on the consultant’s qualifications, and the scope of work, in line with the Bank’s rules and regulations.
- The consultant is expected to provide a detailed budget proposal as part of the application.
- The applications for expression of interest will be evaluated based on the below selection criteria:
- General qualifications and adequacy for the proposed Assignment – 25:
- Similar experience in the area of expertise of the Assignment as described in the Terms of Reference – 40
- Previous work/consultancy experience with the African Development Bank or other international development organizations – 10
- Language proficiency – 5
- Knowledge of the region, ACT and JET (assignment environment) – 20
- Total 100 points
- Only proposals scoring 70 points or above shall be considered for the assignment.
- A shortlist will be prepared, with a minimum of three (03) or a maximum of six (06)
- Consultants selected on the basis of their qualifications and professional experience related to the proposed assignment.
- The shortlist consultants will then be invited to submit their technical proposals and methodology withing a period of seven (07) days.
- All the Consultants final scores shall be ranked, and the highest ranked Consultant will be selected for the said assignment if his/her fees are within budget limits. Should the highest scoring consultant’s financial proposal exceed the budgeted amount, the consultant will be contacted for negotiations.
- If no agreement is reached, the next highest scoring consultant shall be contacted until a suitable financial proposal is achieved.
Application Closing Date
5th June, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vittae (CV) to Mr. Anders Cajus Pedersen via: firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to Ms. Sharon Shoko via: email@example.com the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a shortlist and the selection procedure shall conform to the Bank’s Rules and Procedure for the Use of Consultants under projects financed by the Bank Group.
- Please note that the expression of interest by a consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include the Consultant in the shortlist.
- The Bank retains the right to postpone or cancel this recruitment process.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Nutrition Officer at International Medical Corps (IMC)
- EOI – Individual Consultant: Malawi and Zimbabwe Water Sector Country Profile – AHWS at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
- Senior Project Engineer at CTG
- National Protection Officer (GBV & MHPSS) at International Organization for Migration
- Storekeeper – Alkufrah at CTG