African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EOI – Long-term Communications Consultant – IDEV
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Initial Duration: 12 Months
Commencement Date is planned for: 15th August 2023
Job Family: Other
- Individual Consultants for: a long-term communications consultant to help the division achieve its strategic objectives.
Terms of Reference
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) is the continent’s premier multilateral development finance institution. Its primary goal is to reduce poverty and improve living standards by mobilizing resources in and outside Africa and providing financial and technical assistance for development projects and programs within Africa.
- The overarching mission of Independent Development Evaluation (IDEV) at the African Development Bank Group is to enhance the development effectiveness of the Bank’s interventions in its regional member countries (RMCs) through independent and influential evaluations of all aspects of the Bank’s work.
- It also engages in proactive evaluation partnerships and knowledge-sharing activities. IDEV has3 core objectives: promoting learning from evaluations, accountability, and promoting an evaluation culture.
- It comprises three divisions. IDEV.1 and IDEV.2 focus on undertaking evaluations while IDEV.3, the Knowledge Management, Outreach, and Capacity Development Division, is responsible for knowledge management, dissemination and outreach activities around IDEV evaluations, and for supporting the development of evaluation capacities both in the Bank and in its Regional Member Countries.
- In this context, IDEV.3 is seeking to recruit a high-performing communications consultant to help the division achieve its strategic objectives. This one-year assignment, with possibility of renewal for a second year, will begin in November 2021, and is located at the Bank’s Headquarters in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
- After 12 months, the Consultant will be expected to produce a report with details of activities undertaken during the assignment and recommendations for IDEV on communications work. These terms of reference define the purpose, scope and expected deliverables related to the assignment.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The Communications Consultant will report to the IDEV.3 Division Manager, and will work closely with the Senior Communications Officer and the various Knowledge Management Officers on different knowledge management and communication projects.
The core responsibilities of the Communications Consultant include the following:
Work with the senior communications officer in the development and delivery of internal and external communication and outreach efforts to strengthen awareness of evaluation activities and knowledge, and raise the profile and visibility of IDEV and of evaluation in general:
- Lead the preparation, design, editing, production and dissemination of communications materials, including webpages, stories and news items, outreach materials, briefs, articles, blogs, newsletters, media advisories, press releases, statements, speeches, fact-sheets, press/media kits, as well as publicity materials such as posters, banners, videos, podcasts, animations, and write-ups about events and outcomes of IDEV, its external partners, and the Bank’s client countries. These materials will be formatted for various channels, including physical/print production, (e-)mailings, the Bank’s internal and external websites, IDEV and AfDB social media, and other communication channels, according to the IDEV brand identity and Bank guidelines.
- Provide support for the preparation and organization of communication activities such as (media) interviews with IDEV management and evaluation experts.
- Participate in the planning and organization of IDEV meetings, seminars, trainings, conferences and special events to ensure appropriate communications before, during, and after the event.
- Support the preparation and implementation of communication and social media campaigns.
- Maintain a mailing list of various stakeholders for communication purposes.
- Develop and regularly update a calendar of IDEV and partners’ events on IDEV’s website.
- Track the impact and usage of the various IDEV publications to support monitoring and evaluation of communications activities (e.g. development of a communication survey to disseminate through the mailing list).
- Collect all requests and support the development of clear, consistent and timely responses to media and external inquiries.
In collaboration with the Senior Communications Officer, ensure coherent and consistent branding and style of IDEV products, including evaluation reports, knowledge products and promotional materials:
- Assist in the review of documents and other materials to ensure that IDEV guidelines are adhered to, from color to font to layout to language.
- Translate or review the translation of documents
- Propose and use attractive designs and graphics for visual communication based on other IDEV staff needs, as appropriate.
In collaboration with the Knowledge Management Officers and evaluation teams, undertake communications activities, including social media, to disseminate core evaluation findings and key messages to various target audiences:
- Participate in the planning of a dissemination and knowledge sharing strategy/plan for each IDEV evaluation, to ensure appropriate communication about the evaluation.
- Provide support and advice in the scale up of IDEV’s multi-media activities by mobilizing knowledge on different modes of communications to disseminate critical information in a timely manner.
- Identify and propose the key messages emanating from evaluation reports for dissemination purposes on IDEV’s social media (Twitter, Youtube, LinkedIn etc.)
- Provide support in identifying communication needs of other IDEV staff
Support the Senior communications officer in upgrading and updating IDEV’s website and Social media tools in line with the IDEV communication strategy and AfDB guidelines:
- Integration of new IT tools for Knowledge Management and Communication components
- Maintenance of the website and e-news- as well as regularly updating the design
- Maintenance of IDEV’s Social Media Tools (Twitter etc.)
- Upgrading, maintenance and design of any other means of communication and dissemination
Perform any other tasks as asked by the senior communication officer or the Division manager
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Social Sciences, Public Affairs, International Relations or a related field.
- 6-8 years (with Master’s) of relevant work experience.
- Previous working experience with international development agencies would be an asset.
- Good knowledge of development in the region. Experience with working in Africa is desirable.
- Experience working on conception, design, packaging and dissemination of knowledge products to a variety of audiences, while tailoring the information to the needs of the audience.
- Experience in producing a wide range of communication materials, for both physical and electronic use.
- Understanding of and experience using different communication channels, including social media, and dissemination approaches.
- Proven writing, editing and language skills, an ability to capture and communicate key messages succinctly, and to convey complex ideas in a concise, clear, direct, and lively style.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to take a timed writing test to determine their proficiency.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, ability to take initiative and be innovative.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other. Proficiency in both languages is desirable.
- Proficiency in relevant computer software such as MS Office, SharePoint, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and electronic email procedures.
- Understanding of simple HMTL structures and familiarity with html emails is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
28th June, 2023 (17:00 Local time.).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Expressions of Interest for the attention of Ms. Raky GASSAMA via: firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms. Claire
ANON-KOUADIO via: email@example.com mentioning “Expression of Interest for Long-term Consultancy under the Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF)”.
- The communications consultant shall demonstrate appropriate qualifications and skills necessary for the assignment as described in the terms of reference.
- The communications consultant shall demonstrate appropriate qualifications and skills necessary for the assignment as described above.
- Interested Consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to undertake this Assignment (CV, documents, reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.).
- Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the Bank’s Procurement Policy and Procedure for Corporate Consultants Recruitment. The Bank is under no obligation to shortlist any consultant who expresses interest.
- A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest.The consultants on the shortlist will be judged on the following criteria on the basis of their updated resume.
- Level of education in general – 20%
- Educational level compared to the field of mission – 20%
- Years of experience in general – 20%
- Number of years of experience relevant to the mission – 40%
- Candidates who are shortlisted will be asked to take a written test.
- The assignment will have an initial duration of twelve (12) months and the position is located within the Knowledge Management, Outreach and Capacity Development Division (IDEV.3) Department in the African Development Bank.
- The commencement date is planned for 15 August 2023
- Interested Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the email address above during the Bank’s working hours: from 09:00 to 17:00 hours
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Medical Referent at the Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA)
- Coordinateur.rice de Zone – Bangassou at ACTED
- Humanitarian Access Safety & Security Officer at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- EOI – Individual Environmental and/or Social Consultant (Pool 2024-2026) – SNSC at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)