African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EOI – Long-term Consultant under the Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF) – PICU
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Department Assignment : Infrastructure and Urban Development Department (PICU)
Duration of the Assignment: 132 working days over a 8-month period, renewable based on performance and availability of funds
Tentative Date of commencement : The Consultants will be expected to start in June/July 2023 or a mutually agreed date upon completion of the selection process and upon signature of the contract.
Supervision: The consultant will report to the Director of PICU
Job Family: Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization
Brief Description of the Assignment
- We hereby invite Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following Assignment: Strategic Advisor to the Infrastructure and Urban Development Department (PICU).
- The services to be provided under the Assignment include: (a) provide strategic advice to the PICU Director on integrated urban development (b) advise on development of a partner engagement strategies and Infrastructure and Urban Development policy dialogue; (c) Assist PICU with advice on governance and financing of Infrastructure and Urban development, support delivery of the AfDB African Cities Program.(d) provide strategic guidance to PICU in the further development of operational projects, and any other overall PICU and UMDF activities.
Objectives of the Consultancy
- The main objective is to support the Department’s work in rolling out and operationalizing the African Development Bank’s Strategic Frameworks and provide transaction and business development support to the Infrastructure and Urban Development Department.
- The Consultant will be responsible for supporting the Bank to realize its vision for infrastructure and urban development, and future prospective areas of intervention in the sectors.
- Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Department Director, the consultant will assist and support the quick mobilization and cost-effective delivery of planned activities as well as any additional tasks as required.
- Task 1: Support the Department Director and Division Managers in identifying and structuring PPP and financing mechanisms in support of urban & infrastructure development;
- Task 2: Assist with the development of a partner engagement strategies and Infrastructure and Urban Development policy dialogue; providing strateguc guidance for engagement with national and local governments, financial institutions, and the private sector.
- Task 3: Assist PICU with advice on governance and financing of Infrastructure and Urban development, support delivery of the AfDB African Cities Program.
- Task 4. Provide strategic guidance to PICU in the further development of operational projects, and any other overall PICU and UMDF activities.
- Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Department Director, the consultant will assist and support the quick mobilization and cost-effective delivery of planned activities as well as any additional tasks which may be required.
- The consultant’s deliverables will be further specificed in a workplan decided at comencement of services.
Profile of the Consultant
- Hold an Advanced University Degree in an Urban Development Finance related disciple, Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, Development Finance, Business Administration, Finance, Public Administration or related discipline;
- Have a minimum of twenty-five (25) years professional experience in urban development, urban policy, institutional and financing aspects of projects, knowledge of private sector participation, and the connection to economic development and poverty reduction, PPP transaction advisory or Investment, M&A, privatization advisory on buy and/or sell side, and/or project finance – all with focus on the infrastructure and urban development sectors, with specific experience in Africa;
- Experience in national and/or local government is considered an advantage.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage. Knowledge of economic developments and market trends in Africa;
- Strong experience across the infrastructure asset class with sound knowledge of their respective market and transaction structures, sector trends, legal and regulatory requirements and stakeholders value, and with proven track record of infrastructure transactions;
- Strong analytical and transactional structuring skills.
- Sound business judgment in identifying business opportunities as well as strong business development and client relationship skills;
- Ability to operate in large, culturally diverse and geographically dispersed teams;
- Working experience in multinational organization in Africa and/or specialized experience in similar organization/s would be considered an advantage;
Application Closing Date
31st July, 2023 ( 23:59 hours Abidjan local time).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Expressions of Interest for the attention of Marcus MAYR via: M.MAYR@AFDB.ORG CC: Ms. Micheline SAVADOGO via: M.SAVADOGO@AFDB.ORG , Mrs. Yene O. OUATTARA-COULYBALY via: Y.OUATTARA-COULIBALY@AFDB.ORG)mentioning “Expression of Interest for Long-term Consultancy under the Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF)”.
- The Infrastructure and Urban Development Department invites Individual Consultants to express their interest in providing the above-described services.
- Interested consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to undertake this Assignment (CV, documents, reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.).
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Procurement Policy for Recruitment of Corporate Consultants. Please, note that interest expressed by a consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
- The duration of services is 132 days over a 8-month period, with the option of renewal upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
- The estimated starting date is Q2/Q3 2023.
- Interested Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the address above during the Bank’s working hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday – Friday (UTC)
Establishment of the Shortlist:
- A shortlist of individual consultants will be established at the end the request of
- expressions of interest. The consultants on the shortlist will be judged on the following criteria based on their updated resume:
- Educational background compared to the mission – 20%
- Work Experience relevant to the Mission (Cities, Project Preparation, MdBs) – 20%
- Demonstrated knowledge about African Urban Development – 30%
- Number of years of experience relevant to the mission – 30%.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Senior Humanitarian Affairs Officer / Deputy Head of Office, P5 at UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- Nutrition Advisor at Medair
- Call for proposal to carry out an external endline evaluation for UBU-ITUZE IWACU project at RCN Justice et Démocratie
- Program Officer, Somalia at American Friends Service Committee
- Senior Project Assistant (Partnership and Reporting) at International Organization for Migration