Epicentre is an organisation created by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in 1986. We conduct field epidemiology, training, and research activities for MSF interventions. Our activities for populations in precarious situations are led from Uganda, Niger, and France, and through the programs of MSF and others. They mainly concern infectious diseases and undernutrition.
You are looking for a meaningful professional experience?
Epicentre is looking for an Epidemiologist to the benefit of MSF programs in Liberia. The main purpose of this position is to provide technical expertise to support the measle outbreak monitoring and response activities, including producing and obtain high-quality data in view of supporting timely MOH/partner response to the outbreak.
The epidemiologist position is under the technical supervision of Epicentre and integrated in the Liberia MSF mission. Currently, Liberia is in the midst of 5 outbreaks (Measles, Pertussis, Lassa Fever, Yaws and Covid-19). The epidemiologist will need to compile and report surveillance data on these outbreaks to the coordination team, preferably in one weekly Epi sitrep. Similarly, to measles, the epidemiologist may provide technical support to NPHIL, County and District level health teams depending on the need and the progression of these outbreaks.
You should stay up to date on current epidemiology and general IPC measures for each of these diseases, and familiarize themselves with relevant Liberia historical outbreak data.
You will be placed under the authority of MSF for administrative, logistics and security matters.
What you will bring
Skills to perform your main activities:
Technical skills: with distance-support from Epicentre referent(s), you will manage :
Measles outbreak monitoring and response
· Continue supporting Bardnesville Junction Hospital (BJH) with any measles data needs, line listing, case mapping, etc.
· Conduct trainings and support community health workers to implement relevant outbreak response measures such as: measles active case finding/surveillance, health promotion, referrals, community death notification, etc. (as needed and appropriate to the outbreak and MSF’s role)
· Obtain all possible data on measles outbreak (MoH, BJH, Mental Health clinics, and any other); analyze and visualize data; produce weekly sitrep on measles outbreak, including malnutrition, and any other relevant notifiable diseases
· Advise MSF coordination and clinical teams on outbreak response (i.e. priority regions, description of affected population age/sex/geography/mortality)
· Support clinical team to monitor malnutrition & malnutrition case management situation, especially for Montserrado county and elsewhere as relevant
· Conduct field visit(s) with support of clinical team for further outbreak investigation, as relevant to operational strategy
National Surveillance / NPHIL Support
Assist NPHIL to produce and obtain high-quality data in view of supporting timely MOH/partner response to the outbreak:
· Gain a clear understanding of existing systems, the role of other partners (i.e. CDC, PIH, Last Mile Health, etc), NPHIL priorities and the areas requiring immediate improvement for measles outbreak response and to advocate for stakeholder assistance
· Clearly define the role of MSF in supporting the surveillance systems and keep open communication with MoH, NPHIL and other relevant partners
· Support NPHIL to implement priority changes to data collection tools, data cleaning practices, analytics and communication of the relevant data
· Introduce (as relevant and as appropriate to avoid duplication of existing systems) softwares or practices that would streamline data collection, cleaning and/or analysis/visualization (i.e. ODK/Kobo Collect, restricted .xlsx forms, etc.)
· As relevant, support NPHIL in improving the reporting of lab result- focus efforts in Montserrado county with possibility of expansion to others.
National Vaccination Campaign – possible follow up campaign
· follow up vaccine coverage, follow up the vaccine status of kids attending BJH and/or clinics where we give donations as well as follow up to advocate for a SIA/other campaign.
· Work to have MSF included in all relevant planning discussions with MoH and stakeholders; promote MSF’s involvement in priority areas – i.e. cold chain and/or health promotion
· Provide technical guidance to NPHIL or MOH, as needed, for any pre- or post- analysis (i.e. vaccine target population, coverage analysis, etc.)
· As relevant, provide trainings/tools/follow up for BJH and MSF-connected health workers to support vaccination activities
Other Notifiable Disease Outbreaks
· Currently, Liberia is in the midst of 5 outbreaks (Measles, Pertussis, Lassa Fever, Yaws and Covid-19). The epidemiologist will need to compile and report surveillance data on these outbreaks to the coordination team, preferably in one weekly Epi sitrep
· Similarly, to measles, the epidemiologist may provide technical support to NPHIL, County and District level health teams depending on the need and the progression of these outbreaks
· The epidemiologist should stay up to date on current epidemiology and general IPC measures for each of these diseases, and familiarize themselves with relevant Liberia historical outbreak data.
· Weekly cleaning, analysis and visualization of any MSF-related line lists or measles data (BJH or mental health clinic data)
· Weekly sitreps on measles outbreak (sent to coordination, desk, Epicentre referent)
· Training materials (for NPHIL and/or MSF/MoH staff)
· End of mission and handover report
· Anonymized Documents and data organized and uploaded on SharePoint drive/MyMSF throughout and at end of mission
Team management skills:
You will be requested to coordinate activities with different collaborators and partners, and to integrate into a multi-disciplinary, multi-national and highly motivated team.
International context: you are willing and able to travel internationally. You have an excellent level of English (oral, written).
Educational & Experience: You have a master’s degree or similar high-level certification in Epidemiology (or equivalent experience, including public health training and experience).
You have an excellent knowledge of epidemiology related analytical software (e.g. for data Management & Cleaning of large datasets, in basic tools as Excel)
Optional : Epi-info, RedCap, STATA, R, SPSS or SAS, ODK / KoboCollect / Mobile data collection (system setup and use)
Experience in field epidemiology with vaccination Campaigns, preferably Measles is required, and experience with humanitarian or development NGOs (MSF/Epicentre is a plus) would be an asset. You have experience with surveillance systems, preferably with large national systems, and infectious disease surveillance systems.
You are appreciated for your excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
You have proven ability to work in a dynamic and rigorous environment, with skills in teamwork and cooperation, flexibility, stress management, and to have “Results and Quality” orientation, with capacity to operationalize findings
What you will get
You will work with a multicultural team in the field of epidemiology research
You will evolve in the humanitarian environment
Your contributions and ideas will be valued and highly appreciated
You will participate in the life of the organization and your missions will evolve as you become involved
Fixed-term contract of 3 months, with healthcare coverage.
Position to start mid-august at the latest
Position based largely in Monrovia, with field visit
Remuneration according to experience and MSF salary grid.
How to apply
Please send your application (CV + cover letter) to the link : https://smrtr.io/b4nKV no later than 05/08/2022.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. In case we have received enough qualified applications, we might unpublished before the 05/08/2022.
At Epicentre, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We welcome applications from individuals and we ensure that it does not discriminate on the basis of gender, age, sexual orientation, nationality, races, religion, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics;
Epicentre pays very close attention to the protection of the personal data of its members, staff and people wanting to join the association. The data collected during your application will be processed in a fair and high-quality manner, only by the staff in charge of recruitment, wherever in the world they may be working for an MSF entity.
Related NGO Jobs in Africa
- Education Project Assistant, Baidoa at Finn Church Aid
- Senior Project Assistant- Conflict Analyst at International Organization for Migration
- Officer, Livelihoods at Concern Worldwide
- OTI Country Representative/Senior Country Representative at US Agency for International Development
- Programme Officer – Education at Save the Children