Solidaridad Network is an international solution-oriented civil society organization working through eight regional expertise centers to transform markets to make them more sustainable and inclusive. Our eight regional expertise centers include Asia, Eastern and Central Africa, Europe, Latin America, North America, Southern Africa, South America, West Africa and our global Secretariat in the Netherlands. Solidaridad Eastern and Central Africa, one of the regional centers, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices and programmes in Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda. We bring together supply chain players and engage them with innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all. We facilitate strengthening of local capacity in developing countries, support the creation of enabling environments for economies to thrive, and improve market access.
1.1 LEARNING AGENDA GESI TLG LAUNCH!
RS! Gender & Social Inclusion Thematic Learning Group is committed to using research, learning, and knowledge management as tools to interrogate marginalization, drive evidence-case studies and case stories through which solutions can be derived for greater inclusion, and collaborate with civil society partners globally to chart inclusive pathways forward. This work is only possible with the support of RS! consortium partners and their core representatives in the Thematic Learning Group (TLG) who share a vision for a more equitable world. TLG will help RS! dig deep to bring proof to power and privilege.
Objectives: 1. Sensitize and create awareness on Linking & Learning from GSI perspective 2. Align with commodity projects on the roll-out of the learning questions based on assumptions above
3. Create coalitions for learning and sharing within the RS! Commodity projects team.
4. Work plan
2.0 SCOPE OF WORK
Solidaridad Network is looking for an event organizer to assist the RS! Gender & Social Inclusion Thematic Learning Group manage the LEARNING AGENDA GESI TLG LAUNCH! The event manager will support the Solidaridad team, working closely with project staff to implement planned activities at the LAUNCH.
● 5th and 6th November, 2022 – Arrival of International Guests
● 7th November, 2022 – Grand Launch and Learning Agendas
● 8th to 9th November – Learning Agendas, Medal and prizes ceremony & Bonfire. ● 9th November – End of the LEARNING AGENDA GESI TLG LAUNCH!
3.0 THE LEARNING AGENDA GESI TLG LAUNCH SPECIFICATIONS! The required service will involve the following:
3.1. Securing, booking and managing venue for the conference
● Provide Solidaridad with quotations of accommodation and conference venues in NAIROBI for delegates having to spend in Nairobi before driving to Naivasha for the conference.
● Assist in travel logistics for the delegates from Nairobi to the conference venue
● Secure conference venue approved by Solidaridad. Ensure the venue is near alternative accommodation options, an airport and tourism spots.
● Ensure all meeting rooms (for plenary and break-out sessions) are arranged and ready
for the conference as per the conference programme e.g:
o 7 November :An adequate room for the GRAND LAUNCH, and plenary rooms to accommodate the learning activities. In addition, an area or room that can accommodate team building activities.
o 8 November: Plenary rooms and break-out rooms (to be used for side events during the day and evening)
o 9 November : Plenary rooms and break-out rooms (to be used for side events during the day and evening)
● Ensure all required audio-visual equipment is available in all the rooms as required and that sessions run smoothly.
● Assist in placing an IT support team to assist presenters in session rooms.
● Set up a place where presenters can upload and amend their presentations.
● Assist in ensuring that all presentations are uploaded in advance of each session and notify Solidaridad Staff if presentations are missing.
● Ensure that service maintenance/technicians are promptly available as would be required for all equipment/services and facilities in and around the meeting rooms.
● Ensure catering (i.e. coffee breaks and lunches each day) is available for all delegate and that special dietary needs are catered for.
● Ensure the venue has high-speed internet access for conference delegates.
3.2. Delegate accommodation
● Assist the Solidaridad team in booking accommodation and making reservations in various price classes and a specified number of rooms should be reserved for delegates, guest speakers and other invited guests.
● Assist in the management of travel bookings/ room reservations for delegates, keynote speakers; Solidaridad staff members; and other relevant people identified by the event planning committee
3.3. Registration and managing delegates
Before the GESI TLG Launch:
● Assist in ensuring clear, thoughtful, and kind communication with all delegates. Send out information to all delegates (arrival details, hotels, visa requirements, general city info etc.).
● Liaison with consulates/delegates regarding visa applications for delegates as required by law.
● Book exhibition hall to accommodate up to 5 stands.
During the implementation of the Learning Agenda:
● Prepare and set-up a general information support service/information desk for delegates on-site where they can register and ask for assistance/information.
● Manage registration and handout of conference materials at the venue.
3.4. Special events planning and coordination
● Organize set up and audio-visual of the plenary room for the Grand Launch.
● Assist Solidaridad in finding entertainment for the Grand Launch
● Liaise with service providers on banqueting for Grand Launch. .
Bonfire and Drinks
● Secure Bonfire venue and liaise with venue on banqueting and drinks.
Participant driven events
● Ensure banqueting is booked where needed (i.e. breakfast, dinner or finger snacks).
● Ensure technical support is available at side events (i.e. audio-visual support).
● Liaise with and book conference rooms for delegates hosting side events at the conference venue.
3.5. General logistical arrangements and management
● Prepare the space, furniture and equipment required for presentations and exhibition areas.
● Planning and organization of all meals, coffee breaks and other social events during the conference
● Printing of banners for the conference with approved design
● Assisting the Solidaridad team to source for conference materials such as bags, pens and writing pads for delegates
● Assisting the Solidaridad team to procure name tags /badges for all delegates, speakers, Media, VIPs, etc.
4.0 FOCAL POINT
The event organizer will be directly accountable to the Solidaridad project staff. The RS! Gender & Social Inclusion Thematic Learning Group Lead Officer will be the focal person to whom the event manager will report directly.
5.0 SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
● 1 to 2 years in leading high-level conference planning and event management.
● Excellent organizational skills with the ability to plan and meet deadlines through and with teams of people and individuals from diverse, cross-cultural backgrounds
● Strong project management and financial/budget reporting.
● Fluency in English
● Excellent communication skills with the ability to write clearly, concisely and with strong verbal communication skills.
● Ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines and on multiple projects simultaneously
● Strong customer service orientation.
How to apply
6.0 APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested professionals must submit a technical proposal not exceeding four pages detailing:
- Understanding of the ToR
- How your experience is relevant to the assignment – provide concrete examples. Intended approach, plan, capacity, competence, and other relevant information on the ability to successfully deliver an international conference.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- A financial proposal with a budget with breakdowns of different costs involved, to the finer detail. Budget with aggregated figures will not be accepted.
- References and/or Reference Letters.
The proposal and supporting documents must be submitted in English.
The event managers are required to submit an EOI containing a statement on candidate’s experience with similar assignments, curriculum vitae, financial proposal and work plan by 3rd October, 2022 at 5:00 (EAT). All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, those unable to meet the requirement will not be considered.
Subject reference: EVENT MANAGER: LEARNING AGENDA GESI TLG LAUNCH! Submissions are by email to firstname.lastname@example.org while addressed to: Attn: Managing Director
Solidaridad Eastern and Central Africa Expertise Centre
Kilimani Business Centre, Kirichwa Road,
P.O. Box 42234 – 00100 GPO
Note: Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification and only successful candidates will be contacted.